Michel Therrien

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Hilarious people still subscribe to this theory, but not surprising. It's the same story for the players this board likes and dislikes. Everything Subban/Eller/Galchenyuk/etc do well is because of themselves, anything they do wrong is the coach's/GM's/linemate's fault.

A convenient narrative because thinking about hockey is hard.

Galchenyuk should have been used more this year. He should have also been given more opportunities at the center position.
Eller. Dude. There were clear progressions in his game under Martin. You could literally observe him improve his defensive aspect from game to game. All he seem to have done under Therrien is get bigger, which helps the game he already had. Therrien (and RC) always made life harder for Eller. He removes the linemates he's gotten accustomed to and produces with for the benefit of another center that, arguably, isn't even better??? And to you, that's him helping Eller? Even to this day, Eller is our most productive forward, almost a ppg player, and he gets no PP time?? You're going to have a very tough time coming up with arguments as to how Therrien deserves credit for Eller's game.
Shall we do the same for Bourque?? You want to credit Therrien for Bourque's performance in the PO? If you do that, shouldn't you also blame him for the poor season Bourque just had?
Subban, I mean really, crediting him for Subban's performance is like doing the same for Crosby and Malkin. You really think he played much of a role in it? They are superstars. They were going to become superstars regardless of their coaches. Doesn't mean Therrien didn't teach PK a thing. Even the worst coach can still teach certain things.
In some cases, I agree, you can't pick and choose. Like when DD looked like crap to start the year and couldn't produce despite having our best winger, PP time, easy minutes, then ya, it's certainly not on Therrien. When Emelin struggles, not on Therrien (although one could argue he's not used properly ; I'd have him as a LD 5-6). When Bourque disappears as he's often done, it's not on Therrien.
It's a case-by-case situation. Sometimes the coach is wrong, sometimes he's right, sometimes he's irrelevant.

All in all, I think Therrien is good at certain things, bad at others. Nothing revolutionary here, the same is true for everybody. The question is if the good outweighs the bad. I think this year, especially in the POs, it has.
However, moving forward, I would rather have someone else. The reason why is that I like coaches that are strong tacticians and teachers. You can hire any assistant to rally and motivate the guys, that's an easier task.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
He's got 10 playoff wins this year which is the most by any Habs coach in over 2 decades and he's done a great job getting the guys to bounce back after tough losses or bad outings

He still does things that boggle my mind - like saving his timeout last game when the Rangers scored 3 in a row but he's also done some pretty good line juggling and made some tough decisions like bringing in DT, can't see how he hasn't earned an extension

I thought that was weird too but he explained it the next day when asked about it. He said he usually calls a timeout in that situation but he liked the body language on the bench, no heads down and guys were ready for next shift so he didn't think he needed to say anything. It was the right call apparently

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad