Proposal: Michael Stone to Ottawa Senators for a 3rd+4th round pick

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
Michael Stone has been solid for calgary this year as a 5th defenseman. He plays a physical style, and is good in his own zone, although he doesn't provide much at all in the way of offense(even though he has the hardest slap shot on the team at 105mph, he never seems to use it much). I think ottawa would be a good fit to play with his brother, and I honestly think he can play on the 2nd pairing and be OK, although he is likely suited better suited for the 3rd pairing. I honestly wouldn't mind him being on Calgary next year, but we need to make room for Rasmus Andersson. Only downside to Stone is his contract is a tad rich in terms of AAV at 3.5M. Would a 3rd +4th round pick be fair value? If the senators wouldn't be a fit, I could see the Islanders being interested.

Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah I would take either of those picks to have Rasmus up on the team next year. I actually really like stone and his style of play but we need room. He would be a good fit on Ottawa.

Reactions: Owen Doty

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
Sens won't take Stone on without sending salary back or some retention.
Fine, I guess we could be coaxed into taking Dzingel.:sarcasm:. Seriously though, I highly doubt Calgary retains anything. Any other players than Smith ottawa could send over? Only other player I can see is maybe Pyatt, but im not sure ottawa goes for that based on how low his salary is.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Fine, I guess we could be coaxed into taking Dzingel.:sarcasm:. Seriously though, I highly doubt Calgary retains anything. Any other players than Smith ottawa could send over? Only other player I can see is maybe Pyatt, but im not sure ottawa goes for that based on how low his salary is.

haha nice try. In a trade for Stone, Smith is the only guy I see working, really.

A wildcard option would be Gaborik, assuming he is willing to go the Hossa route and remain on LTIR for the rest of his contract.

This would see the Flames taking on more salary, but none of it would count towards the cap. For the Sens, that doesnt matter because we won't be near the cap but we are trying to cut salary.

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
haha nice try. In a trade for Stone, Smith is the only guy I see working, really.

A wildcard option would be Gaborik, assuming he is willing to go the Hossa route and remain on LTIR for the rest of his contract.

This would see the Flames taking on more salary, but none of it would count towards the cap. For the Sens, that doesnt matter because we won't be near the cap but we are trying to cut salary.

That would certainly be interesting, although there would be no reason for the flames to trade stone just to take on more cap for a player who wouldn't play. Perhaps the islanders would be a better fit, having stone certainly couldn't hurt their defense

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
That would certainly be interesting, although there would be no reason for the flames to trade stone just to take on more cap for a player who wouldn't play. Perhaps the islanders would be a better fit, having stone certainly couldn't hurt their defense

Yeah I meant Gaborik as well as the assets you’d mentioned (3rd & 4th or something similar).

In the deal I’m proposing, the Flames would actually take on zero cap, though - they would be on the hook for Gaboriks salary, but not his cap hit (due to LTIR)

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
Yeah I meant Gaborik as well as the assets you’d mentioned (3rd & 4th or something similar).

In the deal I’m proposing, the Flames would actually take on zero cap, though - they would be on the hook for Gaboriks salary, but not his cap hit (due to LTIR)
oh gotcha. Yeah if it didn't count towards the cap I would do that then. How exactly does one just "place" Gaborik on LTIR tho? Just pull a Hossa? Pretty risky thing to do

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Stone & Brouwer for Ryan & 2018 1st (unprotected)
- the first is for Calgary taking on Ryan’s full cap hit for the final 3 years

Or...

Stone & Brouwer for Ryan (2 mil retained) & a 2nd.

Calgary gets Ryan for a “reasonable” 5.25 and Ottawa saves 5.25 in cap for the last three years.

Reactions: MoneyHandsMonahan

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Don't want Ryan at all.
Not as a pure acquisition, but it’s a smart move.

He’s a RHS RW, quick with offensive instincts. He’s an instant upgrade on Brouwer. He’s faster and more offensively inclined. He had twice as many goals as Brouwer and outscored Brouwer and Stone combined last season

Moving Stone opens a spot for Andersson

Gets us a really good draft pick

There’s a chance he could develop chemistry with any number of players (Johnny/Monny, Tkachuk, Bennett, Janko, Backs, Lazar, Shore). You’ve gotta figure he’ll connect with someone.

If it doesn’t work, there’s expansion and a CBA in a few years. I think the risk is worth it.

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018

Or...

Calgary gets Ryan for a “reasonable” 5.25 and Ottawa saves 5.25 in cap for the last three years.
Both of these are bad for Ottawa. They aren't going to trade high draft picks just to get out of Ryan's contract.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Or...

Lmao this is too good

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
There's no need to do any of these deals, I would prefer a single 2nd or two 3rds for him, anything else just doesn't make sense for the flames (not saying it has to be any mentioned team)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad