OT - NO POLITICS Memorial Day & Here Comes Summah edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I’m really interested in the outcome of the antitrust lawsuit against Live Nation/Ticketmaster. They never should have been allowed to merge to begin with. I know it’ll take years but hopefully it leads to some real changes for consumers.

I hope so too but I'm not holding my breath.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I used to be a bad flyer, starting when work forced me to fly to Europe right after 9/11. I'm much better now, I only need one Xanax instead of the two Xanax + double vodka that I used to take.

ive often wondered how legitimately dangerous mixing benzos with a drink or two is - clearly a risk you (were, at least) comfortable with? i hope this isn't an offensive question, i am intellectually curious

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
ive often wondered how legitimately dangerous mixing benzos with a drink or two is - clearly a risk you (were, at least) comfortable with? i hope this isn't an offensive question, i am intellectually curious

It only increases the effects. I wouldn't drink a fifth and take 10, because your breathing would cease. But I wasn't worried about two drinks and two pills (which were low dose, just prescribed for flying).

Reactions: NeelyDan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
This video popped up on YouTube, a recommendation I'm assuming based on my love of Blue Angel videos lol. Landing on a carrier sounds complicated lol

Anyway, it's a cool channel if you're a naval aviation nerd like me. :)

Shared with my engineer brother. Thanks.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Flight costs really went up after covid, though they seem to be coming back down recently. A lot depends on timing, of course.

Air travel has basically always been a loss leader for the companies that the government subsidizes, depending on the cost of fuel that year. They really do pack you in like sardines and increase upcharges on everything from baggage to seat selection to make profit.

I have a 6 hour flight for vacation in July, I did pay $20 per leg to get into the emergency exit row on the aisle because the leg room makes a significant amount of difference.

I've never flown first class before. It'd be nice to try some day as a treat, but it's usually like three times the cost of the flight itself. And I'm never going to be enough of a priority customer to get offered any upgrades.

Do you know what also used to be a "loss leader" and "prestige" project?

Network news.

That changed when Reagan -- whom I admire in many ways -- deregulated the media business, especially in terms of corporate ownership of multiple outlets.

Suddenly, news divisions were expected to make money.

Murrow, neither neophyte nor hero, would turn in his grave.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My ex just got back from a weekend in Seattle, and the flight out there was apparently gross even for her (she doesn’t mind planes at all). I guess the landing was insanely abrupt, as in smashing into the ground bad enough that it was painful and everybody screamed.

That, and the hail storm tweet, and the fact prices continue to skyrocket…I’m out

We found a decent price on the auto train. Booked it. Paid just $25 to make it fully refundable up until the departure date. Maybe it’s a mistake. Maybe it will be a “nope, never again” experience. But it will be an experience. Yay family memories.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
My ex just got back from a weekend in Seattle, and the flight out there was apparently gross even for her (she doesn’t mind planes at all). I guess the landing was insanely abrupt, as in smashing into the ground bad enough that it was painful and everybody screamed.

That, and the hail storm tweet, and the fact prices continue to skyrocket…I’m out

We found a decent price on the auto train. Booked it. Paid just $25 to make it fully refundable up until the departure date. Maybe it’s a mistake. Maybe it will be a “nope, never again” experience. But it will be an experience. Yay family memories.

What is the auto train??? :dunno:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
The one and only time I took a Xanax was in college. By that point I had had 5-6 drinks pregaming, a friend of mine from high school was visiting and had some for some reason. He was mid conversation, gave it to me, I immediately took it, then he turned and said only take half. I said I took the whole thing. He laughed and said good bye. I woke up the next morning with zero memories, but I apparently went out with the group to the bar and they just ordered me waters that I thought were drinks.

Could have been a variety of factors but I was a definite binge drinker in college and a black out like that never happened before. In a weird way it was a blessing since I stayed away from all pills after that first experience, something far too many people in my age bracket didn't.

Reactions: NeelyDan and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just had the official Zoom with my team at MGH - NO CANCER
😊

Will have a follow-up CT at the end of June to keep an eye on things.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Just had the official Zoom with my team at MGH - NO CANCER
😊

Will have a follow-up CT at the end of June to keep an eye on things.
Great news!

You seem very on top of your health which cannot be said for most men. My grandfather who is 93 is he same. He has called for an ambulance a few times only for them to find a fully dressed man at 3am. He drives my aunt crazy but he's still around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad