OT - NO POLITICS Memorial Day & Here Comes Summah edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
IMG_1757.jpeg

To celebrate the holiday weekend (and because I’m not going anywhere with a newborn) I decided to put some wings into the smoker and cook them using the 0-400 method. They came out fantastic, and even my usually picky wife loved them!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Such sad news about Grayson Murray. May he RIP, his pain is over but my heart breaks for his family and friends. Please reach out if you are struggling and be kind to others, you don't know what they are going through.
May he rest in peace and may his family and friends find love and support as they navigate their loss.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Hubby changed out our water softener yesterday, I am so lucky he is handy and could do it himself. What we didn't realize was how much the taste of the water changes, the water pressure gets lower and how fast the hard water minerals accumulate on everything. Our water isn't even that hard - just above 20.

No more "scum" on top of my tea this morning and the water tastes perfect again. What a great invention!!! We had switched to bottled water for a couple of days but hated doing that.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I am stealing this from my sis (who has all of Dad's photos from WW2).

In honor of Memorial Day. My Dad Roy was on the Admiralty Islands in the South Pacific in 1943-1944, as an Army Artillery Sargeant and later in Intelligence. He became a rifle marksman. Roy in center, on left is his best buddy Arthur Weikel from Los Angeles. Second photo is my Dad aligning a scope(?) with a Mr. Brandenburg. I have a whole album from basic training in the Carolinas, guarding the border in Texas, then to the South Pacific. He also worked several dives with the Navy, because he could hold his breath a long time under water.

Attachments

• 1716747315444.png
    1716747315444.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 1716747348110.png
    1716747348110.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
So last night my neighbor and I drove over to Reiley's Place in Milford NH to see a band called Glass Onion.

The base player is an old work friend of mine from 50 years ago. He was in a band back then too (as well as being employed by Wang Labs).

I spotted a post on FB last Fall and was happy to see he was still playing out.

The band plays all Beatle's music and they are quite good.

It was fun. My friend was always a nice guy and it was great to see he still was after all of these years.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So we're buying a new house. It's in a good neighborhood, great location right down the road from both a theme park and a really good bakery out here. It's pending some contingencies, currently negotiating over the home and termite inspections, but I think we'll hammer it out regardless, nothing in the reports is a dealbreaker. We're keeping our present house to rent out, so I've spent a lot of the holiday weekend doing renovations to make it rentable. Currently putting new wood stain on the kitchen cabinets. Funny all the things like that that never occurred to me (or never mattered to me) to improve in the 2 1/2 years I've been living here that we're doing for the benefit of some hypothetical tenant. But I guess that's business for you.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

I never served.

"Some gave all,"

1716816141622.png

Forwarded this email? Subscribe here for more

May 26, 2024

Tomorrow is Memorial Day, the day Americans have honored since 1868, when we mourn those military personnel who have died in the service of the country—that is, for the rest of us.
For me, one of those people is Beau Bryant.
When we were growing up, we hung out at one particular house where a friend’s mom provided unlimited peanut butter and fluff sandwiches, Uno games, iced tea and lemonade, sympathetic ears, and stories. She talked about Beau, her older brother, in the same way we talked about all our people, and her stories made him part of our world even though he had been killed in World War II 19 years before we were born.
Beau’s real name was Floyston, and he had always stepped in as a father to his three younger sisters when their own father fell short.
When World War II came, Beau was working as a plumber and was helping his mother make ends meet, but in September 1942 he enlisted in the Army Air Corps. He became a staff sergeant in the 322nd Bomber Squadron, 91st Bomb Group, nicknamed “Wray’s Ragged Irregulars” after their commander Colonel Stanley T. Wray. By the time Beau joined, the squadron was training with new B-17s at Dow Army Airfield near Bangor, Maine, and before deploying to England he hitchhiked three hours home so he could see his family once more.
It would be the last time. The 91st Bomb Group was a pioneer bomb group, figuring out tactics for air cover. By May 1943 it was experienced enough to lead the Eighth Air Force as it sought to establish air superiority over Europe. But the 91st did not have adequate fighter support until 1944. It had the greatest casualty rate of any of the heavy bomber squadrons.
Beau was one of the casualties. On August 12, 1943, just a week before his sister turned 18, while he was on a mission, enemy flak cut his oxygen line and he died before the plane could make it back to base. He was buried in Cambridge, England, at the Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial, the military cemetery for Americans killed in action during WWII. He was twenty years old.
I grew up with Beau’s nephews and nieces, and we made decades of havoc and memories. But Beau’s children weren’t there, and neither he nor they are part of the memories.
Thinking about our untimely dead is hard enough, but I am haunted by the holes those deaths rip forever in the social fabric: the discoveries not made, the problems not solved, the marriages not celebrated, the babies not born.
I know of this man only what his sister told me: that he was a decent fellow who did what he could to support his mother and his sisters. Before he entered the service, he once spent a week’s paycheck on a dress for my friend’s mother so she could go to a dance.
And he gave up not only his life but also his future to protect American democracy against the spread of fascism.
I first wrote about Beau when his sister passed, for it felt to me like another kind of death that, with his sisters now all gone, along with almost all of their friends, soon there would be no one left who even remembered his name.
But something amazing happened after I wrote about him. People started visiting Beau’s grave in England, leaving flowers, and sending me pictures of the cross that bears his name.
So he, and perhaps all he stood for, will not be forgotten after all.
May you have a meaningful Memorial Day.
[Photo by Carole Green.]

Last edited:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I read The Women by Kristin Hannah this weekend on the beach and it was excellent. It’s about the women who were nurses in Vietnam, and how they were treated when they got home. While support groups and other resources were available to men, “there were no women in Vietnam” or “nurses didn’t see combat action so you’re fine” was the response when they got home.

I love historical fiction and the author, but this really exposed a different era/topic from what is usually covered in the genre.

Strong recommend.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Got my new docking station hooked up so now I have dual monitors for work :) I wish I could test my entire set up but that will have to wait until I get into my new place.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Can someone share a link to the out of town (playoffs) thread? I don’t know if I ignored it? Can’t find it. THANKS!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Reactions: sooshii

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I never knew I needed 2 monitors until I started working with 2. Now it’s essential for me to be efficient!
I had them at work pre pandemic and then was able to make do with just one until I started doing data privacy agreements and auditing projects. I am so looking forward to using them both.

Reactions: Johnny Upton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad