News Article: Melnyk opens his mouth

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Mentioned in the Ryan thread but this interview was too good.

"Ryan and Crosby were a flip of the coin at the 05 draft"
"We are are boring team like New Jersey, but like Buckley's cold medicine"
"Bobby Ryan's success is now attributable to his physical and 150% mental health"
"Senators told Karlsson he wasn't ready to be captain but he made his case and they gave it to him."

Should be available to replay soon.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The last two aren't that crazy statement wise, but go beyond over sharing.

Most of us can figure out that Ryan probably had a tough year (Mother passing away, possible stress of a new child), but the state of his mental health isn't really our business. I'd also argue Ryan was already playing well to close out the season in the new role Guy Boucher has carved out for him (minimal ES minutes, taking Stone's spot behind the net on the top PP) but the pendulum swung from zero puck luck to a ton of puck luck in a short period of time. (Maybe it helps playing the same team for 4 games straight).

As far as the Karlsson thing, it's an interesting point. Today when reading the Anderson quote I was thinking with how well Karlsson has stepped up as a leader about how wrong I (and if I remember correctly) a few other posters were for thinking they wouldn't choose Karlsson for captain or something to the effect that he might not be ready at his age.

On the Ryan thing....I'll paste what I posted in the Ryan thread. TL;DR....I think Melnyk is confusing Ryan with Kessel. Which isn't any less embaressing but it at least makes him a bit less delusional.

That's funny in a let's pretend Eugene Melnyk is an Office character sort of way, but legitimately he is probably getting Bobby Ryan mixed up with Phil Kessel who although I am not entirely clear on the backstory since I wasn't following hockey beyond a casual basis at that time, I think the story is maybe for a very short period of time during his pre-NHL "career" Kessel was considered "American Crosby".

Yes, Kessel wasn't in the same draft, but that's one explanation for such an insane comment.

ISensFanI

Sep 2, 2006
Ottawa
The last two aren't that crazy statement wise, but go beyond over sharing.

Most of us can figure out that Ryan probably had a tough year (Mother passing away, possible stress of a new child), but the state of his mental health isn't really our business. I'd also argue Ryan was already playing well to close out the season in the new role Guy Boucher has carved out for him (minimal ES minutes, taking Stone's spot behind the net on the top PP) but the pendulum swung from zero puck luck to a ton of puck luck in a short period of time. (Maybe it helps playing the same team for 4 games straight).

As far as the Karlsson thing, it's an interesting point. Today when reading the Anderson quote I was thinking with how well Karlsson has stepped up as a leader about how wrong I (and if I remember correctly) a few other posters were for thinking they wouldn't choose Karlsson for captain.

On the Ryan thing....I'll paste what I posted in the Ryan thread. TL;DR....I think Melnyk is confusing Ryan with Kessel. Which isn't any less embaressing but it at least makes him a bit less delusional.

That's funny in a let's pretend Eugene Melnyk is an Office character sort of way, but legitimately he is probably getting Bobby Ryan mixed up with Phil Kessel who although I am not entirely clear on the backstory since I wasn't following hockey beyond a casual basis at that time, I think the story is maybe for a very short period of time during his pre-NHL "career" Kessel was considered "American Crosby".

Yes, Kessel wasn't in the same draft, but that's one explanation for such an insane comment.

Um crosby and bobby were the two best in that draft at the time

Crosby #1 pick ryan #2

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Um crosby and bobby were the two best in that draft at the time

Yes, I know that. But apparently Melnyk said it was a coin flip who would go #1....which makes zero sense. There wasn't anybody in the world who would have taken Ryan at 1, probably including himself....what I am suggesting is that unless Melnyk is straight up insane he might be getting Ryan's pre-draft story mixed up with Kessel's. Both are American wingers who came up around the same time (Kessel was drafted the year after Ryan/Crosby) and for at least a short period, Kessel was touted "American Crosby"in some context.

Here's some context to what I am alluding to straight out of 2005 HFBoards.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/archive/index.php/t-170022.html

Pierre McGuire was the one who suggested 13 out of 30 NHL G.M's would choose Kessel over Crosby if they were in the same draft year.

So obviously, if it came down to it we all know Crosby would have been taken over Kessel but all I am trying to point out is regardless of how flimsy it was, there was something going on about Kessel being a better prospect than Crosby that Melnyk might be getting mixed up about and thinking it applied to Bobby Ryan since they were both American wingers set to be taken at the top of the draft in back to back years.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Can't Melnyk just not hear himself speak for 4 weeks? Crosby, the games biggest star since Mario humilaited him a few weeks ago but Melnyck is back for more.

I honestly think he only owns the Senators because it gives him a platform to be a celebrity. Biggest fool in the NHL, every time he opens his mouth he makes himself sound more crazy.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Yes, I know that. But apparently Melnyk said it was a coin flip who would go #1....which makes zero sense. There wasn't anybody in the world who would have taken Ryan at 1, probably including himself....what I am suggesting is that unless Melnyk is straight up insane he might be getting Ryan's pre-draft story mixed up with Kessel's. Both are American wingers who came up around the same time (Kessel was drafted the year after Ryan/Crosby) and for at least a short period, Kessel was touted "American Crosby"in some context.

Here's some context to what I am alluding to straight out of 2005 HFBoards.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/archive/index.php/t-170022.html

Over the years teams have played with the idea of not drafting what was seen as the number 1 pick take Toronto there was serious debate to not pick AM.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Can't Melnyk just not hear himself speak for 4 weeks? Crosby, the games biggest star since Mario humilaited him a few weeks ago but Melnyck is back for more.

I honestly think he only owns the Senators because it gives him a platform to be a celebrity. Biggest fool in the NHL, every time he opens his mouth he makes himself sound more crazy.

Lets keep in mind some fans listen to a interview he gives and go and posts what they think they heard but like last time certain fans took what he said out of context and was 100% wrong.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Maybe as a coin flip he was referring to the lottery that decided the pick after lockout season?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Over the years teams have played with the idea of not drafting what was seen as the number 1 pick take Toronto there was serious debate to not pick AM.

The difference is that the perception of Matthews and Laine was much closer than the perception of everybody else (Ryan included) in the 05 draft and Sidney Crosby...you're telling me you buy that there would be any deliberation between teams to take Ryan or Crosby?

People are really side stepping my point and going off on different tangents. My point is that there was (as flimsy as it might have been) a perception that someone might have taken Kessel over Crosby had they shared the same draft year. That perception might not have been legitimate but it was a minor enough story at one point that you can still pull up discussion about it on google a decade later. Melnyk is either insane, or he is getting mixed up and attributing this "American Crosby" Kessel stuff to Ryan.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I wish fans would listen to what other owners say many make Melynk a saint.

I didn't find this to be that bad, I just wish he could remain behind the scenes and talk only exclusively on issues of the Sens foundation and his organ donation awareness campaign. We don't need to know what he thinks about hockey midseason. Have your preseason and end of season comments and nothing else PLEASE. He often embarrasses this city and franchise with his comments. Dude is a loon.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
We are a small franchise. We aren't owned by multimedia conglomerates that appoint a bland spokesperson.

He can say whatever he wants. Players are going to ignore it if they even hear about it in first place. I think the interviews are fun to listen to.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I've mostly come to terms with Melnyk being a loudmouth who loves making juicy public statements but **** man, wait until after the playoffs....

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Eugene should never go on the Bob Mccowen show as he says his stupidest things on that show, too anxious to impress maybe.

I used to attribute his cringe worthy blathering to being over refreshed but now since his liver transplant presumably that is out of the question and yet he sounds just the same.
I guess we just have to assume that this sort of thing is all Eugene and not anything he has ingested.
Great way to embarrass your players in the middle of a playoff run, also great way to attract fans to the games to take their medicine.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Could be worse, could have an owner that lets a 2nd year nhl'er who has won absolutely nothing call the shots...

SensEnforcer

Nov 23, 2008
Melbourne
He didnt say anything that made him look crazy again. The Crosby ryan thing was a passing comment sounded like an owner pumping up his player.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Seems like a pretty big tempest to me. It's a good interview, he was calm and fairly articulate. No ranting and he thinks they can go a round or two. What's this embarrassing players business, some of you folks look for stuff that just isn't there. I'm not his biggest fan but this is hardly anything to get worked up about, nothing there.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
He didnt say anything that made him look crazy again. The Crosby ryan thing was a passing comment sounded like an owner pumping up his player.

It wasn't really that bad after listening to it. Like you said, most of the stuff was just passing comments. Although, validating your entertainment product as boring probably isn't the smartest thing to do, even if it is technically true.

Saying "Ryan is finally playing like the guy we wanted when we traded for him" or something to that effect is a bit asinine since the guy is basically being sheltered by Guy Boucher with highly limited minutes and really not used like a star. But I get it, he is pumping his tires a bit.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Seems like a pretty big tempest to me. It's a good interview, he was calm and fairly articulate. No ranting and he thinks they can go a round or two. What's this embarrassing players business, some of you folks look for stuff that just isn't there. I'm not his biggest fan but this is hardly anything to get worked up about, nothing there.

Seriously. Crosby and Ryan were drafted 12 years ago and the comment about the draft was "I think it was a coin flip".

He doesn't have access to google to double check it right away. It's radio where you have to talk and talk so he gambled that it was maybe a coin flip and he was wrong. It's not end of the world stuff. He didn't go "it was definitely a coin flip".

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
It wasn't really that bad after listening to it. Like you said, most of the stuff was just passing comments. Although, validating your entertainment product as boring probably isn't the smartest thing to do, even if it is technically true.

Saying "Ryan is finally playing like the guy we wanted when we traded for him" or something to that effect is a bit asinine since the guy is basically being sheltered by Guy Boucher with highly limited minutes and really not used like a star. But I get it, he is pumping his tires a bit.

Agree he was not as off the rails as he used to be in days of yore. Not sure it was a great idea to say that the Sens didn't think Karlsson would be able to handle being captain when they gave him the C though.

He also offered up the information that he thinks the Sens play boring hockey but after thinking about it, I don't mind that as maybe Boucher will take that into consideration and loosen the reins a bit next year.

I don't know if it has to do with boring hockey, but I notice there are a whole boat load of seats left for tomorrows game which is somewhat surprising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad