Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
How are people this shocked about a big return for a center after seeing massive contracts for centers and massive trade returns for centers.

Mcleod was 100% worth a 1st++.

25, excellent defensively and on the kill, one of the better skaters in the league. quality 3Cs are a rare commodity

I don’t think you’ll find many Oiler fans who agree with your assessment of McLeod. He skates like the wind, and can provide some secondary scoring and PK time, but he’s not good defensively, and loses pretty much every puck battle.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This trade lets you know what small offensive only players are worth in the NHL nowadays. Savoie’s value is from where he was selected.

Savoie's game has been trending very positively, though. Let's say that Savoie ends up becoming like Logan Stankoven. Unlikely, but there's a possibility. Is that kind of player only worth Ryan McLeod? Hell no. This trade is still quite a huge risk for Buffalo.

Reactions: Giggleplex

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Prospects don’t have as much trade value as I once thought. The only explanation for this. To be fair, I was higher on Savoie than most.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
What could Oilers immediately flip Savoie for right now if they had to?

There is no way Buffalo didn’t call any other GMs to beat this offer right? Maybe our views on value could be skewed.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How are people this shocked about a big return for a center after seeing massive contracts for centers and massive trade returns for centers.

Mcleod was 100% worth a 1st++.

25, excellent defensively and on the kill, one of the better skaters in the league. quality 3Cs are a rare commodity
There is not a single gm that would give up a 1st ++ for Mcleod.

This trade is insane no matter how u wanna try to spin it. Savoie is a VERY high end prospect... This trade is just bizzare

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
yeah, in a vacuum everyone will hate it. But it obviously hasn't been easy to get a trade done to Buffalo. McLeods only 24, RFA nxt year, lotsa control, more upside to come I think and fills a big hole.

with JJP, Quinn, Benson ahead of him, Rosen, Kulich, Wahlberg and now the C's like Helenius & Ostlund..gotta move somebody, might as well be the small guy.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Buffalo traded from a surplus of assets for something they were sorely lacking. Winning hockey games >>>> losing hockey trades. They want a team that's a PITA to play against, and Mcleod fits that mold. Edmonton got great value, but 3Cs with some snarl aren't cheap. Glad Savoie is going out west, atleast.
McLeod doesn't have any snarl in his game. He's a perimeter 2-way player with elite speed, but underwhelming playmaking and finishing.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Many, many Sabres fans have called for Adams to do something along these lines.

Savoie, Benson, Rosen, Neuchev, Ostlund and even to an extent Kulich and even Helenius are all cut from the same broad cloth: smallish skill-heavy forwards. We were getting a MAJOR clog in Rochester.

We also had a GLARING hole at 3C. Right now, our 3C was scheduled to be Peyton Krebs. McLeod is a major upgrade there.

Did Adams overpay? Yep. Did he overpay for a NEED? Yep. Did he use our surplus of similar-ish prospects to do so? Yep.

Don't mind this one bit.
Buffalo isn’t going anywhere soon though. Giving away a top 9 pick from 2 years ago who is trending to be a top 6 guy for help on the third line when the team isn’t even close to a playoff team seems pretty foolish. But I guess when Buffalo is picking top 10 every single year they can afford to let go some of their high picks. Lol

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Buffalo traded from a surplus of assets for something they were sorely lacking. Winning hockey games >>>> losing hockey trades. They want a team that's a PITA to play against, and Mcleod fits that mold. Edmonton got great value, but 3Cs with some snarl aren't cheap. Glad Savoie is going out west, atleast.
I'm sorry but have you ever seen RYAN Mcleod play? He's the biggest pansy, who won't ever take a hit to make a play. There is no snarl to his game, never has been and never will be.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He’s been great since being drafted. You’re really basing your opinion on the WJC? Lol
I'm basing it off of how he plays and generates his offense. The fact that I think he's a winger. Like I said, I wouldn't have moved him for McLeod, but he's not worth a 9th OA.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Prospects don’t have as much trade value as I once thought. The only explanation for this. To be fair, I was higher on Savoie than most.

Certain prospects don't, and this is a bad year to be an undersized wing or a small, puck moving D, I think.

GMs really seem like they are feeling themselves on bigger dudes with a just a modicum of skill. Pretty wild

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Many, many Sabres fans have called for Adams to do something along these lines.

Savoie, Benson, Rosen, Neuchev, Ostlund and even to an extent Kulich and even Helenius are all cut from the same broad cloth: smallish skill-heavy forwards. We were getting a MAJOR clog in Rochester.

We also had a GLARING hole at 3C. Right now, our 3C was scheduled to be Peyton Krebs. McLeod is a major upgrade there.

Did Adams overpay? Yep. Did he overpay for a NEED? Yep. Did he use our surplus of similar-ish prospects to do so? Yep.

Don't mind this one bit.
Savoie was pretty redundant for Buffalo and was also questionable based on his size. They filled a current need with a surplus they had. Seems like a fair trade for both sides

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad