McDavid's Defender Equivalent

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What would a defenseman have to do in his first two years to get a deal like the reported McDavid extension, 8 x $13m+?

Karlsson got less than 11% of the cap on a 6 x $6.5 million deal after a 78 point season (his 3rd season).

Are we talking a couple Norris trophies, PPG+ and prime Vlasic level defense? Would even that do it?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
What would a defenseman have to do in his first two years to get a deal like the reported McDavid extension, 8 x $13m+?

Karlsson got less than 11% of the cap on a 6 x $6.5 million deal after a 78 point season (his 3rd season).

Are we talking a couple Norris trophies, PPG+ and prime Vlasic level defense? Would even that do it?

Offense gets more $ than defense. Unless a defensemen leads the league in scoring or something close to that they will not get Mcdavid level money after their elc.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast

Be Bobby Orr.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's less about what McDavid did in his first 2 years than it is about his pedigree.

A defenseman would have to be #1 overall pick, and be deemed a generational player. And then - also meet expectations in the NHL in the first 2 seasons.

Take Marner as a random example.

Marner is a pretty good prospect. Pretty good rookie year. If he wins the ross/hart next year - i still doubt the Leafs give him an 8 year 13.25mil per year contract next summer, or even close. He lacks the pedigree McDavid has.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Barring injuries McDavid realistically can win the next 10 Hart trophies. That's crazy to me.

Sure but

So could Sid. So could Lemieux. So could Lindros some said. Neither ever did, or close.

I've still not seen anything to convince me he's better than Crosby - let alone Lemieux. Injuries, competition, career years of lesser players - all those are likely to interfere in his potential winning streak.

So yeah - he's a great player, but he's not gonna win anywhere near that many hart in a row.

Personally - I expect Carey Price to win the hart next year for example.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Be the captain and the face his franchise, the future best player in the NHL + put up a multiple major trophy winning season in his starting years.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
A lot of it has to do with what the NHL and the media has labelled him as. I mean, if anybody is worth that much money, its him. But Karlsson should be making 11 million plus if we use this contract as a benchmark

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Sure but

So could Sid. So could Lemieux. So could Lindros some said. Neither ever did, or close.

I've still not seen anything to convince me he's better than Crosby - let alone Lemieux. Injuries, competition, career years of lesser players - all those are likely to interfere in his potential winning streak.

So yeah - he's a great player, but he's not gonna win anywhere near that many hart in a row.

Personally - I expect Carey Price to win the hart next year for example.

Either way, that's an extremely small list of players. That's kind of all that matters.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
The kid just won the Hart and Lindsay trophy, he's obviously gonna get paid. How long he's been playing for is irrelevant. Subban also got paid big time right after he won his Norris.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Barring injuries McDavid realistically can win the next 10 Hart trophies. That's crazy to me.

It's crazy because that statement isn't even unrealistic. He was somewhat unlucky this year with players missing easy tap ins and goals being called back.

When he plays pissed off and aggressive, he is an opportunity generating machine. He just takes games over.

Last edited:

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
The player would essentially have to do what better than what Karlsson has done in the past two years (and in 2011-12) as an 18-20 year old defender, plus be at least as good defensively as a Vlasic or Tanev (both of whom I would consider top 5 in the game).

To get paid like him, they would have to be better as a player than McDavid is, because defenders are just inherently going to make less than their forward equals.

In other words, it's not happening any time soon.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I don't think its possible just due to different developmental curves.. but for arguments sake I would say top 10 Norris voting and calder in year 1 and winning the Norris + having a ppg year two. Thats as being a 1st OA pick as well

For nearest recent comparison, Ekblad won the Calder his rookie year and have a couple 5th place norris votes in both years and fetched a long term 7.5 mil contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: