McDavid and Matthews have to wait to overtake Crosby

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
If the Capitals beat the Penguins three times and Ovechkin wins a couple of Olympic gold medals, we can talk.

Until then, Ovechkin is one of the most dynamic, one-dimensional goal-scoring superstars to ever play in the NHL. Crosby is a legend.

It is a team game where individual success is important, but being a leader is paramount.

What a bunch of crap. Russia isnt winning gold medals anytime soon and that's not Ovechkin's fault. Canada is just better than anyone else internationally, even without Crosby there's a great chance they still would've won the last 2 gold's.

Beating the penguins 3 times isn't necessary. One Stanley Cup. That's all Ovechkin needs to make it a debate again. A conn Smythe makes it even closer. Ovechkin's a legend too I don't care how much Crosby fanboys wanna act like the gap is tremendous, it's not.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
What a bunch of crap. Russia isnt winning gold medals anytime soon and that's not Ovechkin's fault. Canada is just better than anyone else internationally, even without Crosby there's a great chance they still would've won the last 2 gold's.

Beating the penguins 3 times isn't necessary. One Stanley Cup. That's all Ovechkin needs to make it a debate again. A conn Smythe makes it even closer. Ovechkin's a legend too I don't care how much Crosby fanboys wanna act like the gap is tremendous, it's not.

So team accomplishments mean nothing for Crosby but one championship for OV, even if he doesn't contribute much, is significant?

What a bunch of crap.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
So team accomplishments mean nothing for Crosby but one championship for OV, even if he doesn't contribute much, is significant?

What a bunch of crap.

The team accomplishments are what separates Sid from Ovechkin when comparing their accomplishments over the course of their careers because they both have a lot of hardware. What I've been saying is a team accomplishment like a cup is what Ovechkin needs to make it a debate because Russia isn't going to win gold medals anytime soon. But why try to understand what others are saying​ when you can just pretend they mean something else so it suits your argument?

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

Ovechkin has 8 more regular season points than Crosby, despite having played in 139 more games. That's almost 2 full seasons. :laugh:

That's a pretty big gap in my eyes.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009

You're right about Canada. You lost me after that.

No matter. The chances of Ovechkin winning a Cup this year, let alone a Conn Smythe, are just somewhere below the chances of CNN praising Trump.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Ovechkin has 8 more regular season points than Crosby, despite having played in 139 more games. That's almost 2 full seasons. :laugh:

That's a pretty big gap in my eyes.

So now your argument is ppg what a surprise. How many 50 goal seasons does Crosby have vs Ovechkin? That's a pretty big gap in my eyes :laugh: am I doing it right?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
So now your argument is ppg what a surprise. How many 50 goal seasons does Crosby have vs Ovechkin? That's a pretty big gap in my eyes :laugh: am I doing it right?

I agree that ppg should not be used to judge who is better. Winning should be.

Twenty-five years from now, Crosby will be dropping the ceremonial puck at a Stanley Cup playoff game somewhere while receiving a standing ovation, and Ovechkin will be the modern day version Peter Stastny. Important to someone somewhere, but basically forgotten by the NHL and its followers.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
You're right about Canada. You lost me after that.

No matter. The chances of Ovechkin winning a Cup this year, let alone a Conn Smythe, are just somewhere below the chances of CNN praising Trump.

It seems pretty easy for you to get lost. Ovechkin isn't a legend? He's not a sure fire hall of fame and arguably a top 3 goal scorer ever? A Stanley Cup wouldn't bolster his resume and have the comparisons to Crosby's accomplishments debated? You keep searching, maybe you'll find your way

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009

Twenty-five years from now, Crosby will be dropping the ceremonial puck at a Stanley Cup playoff game somewhere while receiving a standing ovation, and Ovechkin will be the modern day version Peter Stastny. Important to someone somewhere, but basically forgotten by the NHL and its followers.

This post is so laughable it's beyond ridiculous. I think you should go to bed son. It's past your bedtime​.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
It seems pretty easy for you to get lost. Ovechkin isn't a legend? He's not a sure fire hall of fame and arguably a top 3 goal scorer ever? A Stanley Cup wouldn't bolster his resume and have the comparisons to Crosby's accomplishments debated? You keep searching, maybe you'll find your way

A single SC and nothing else? Wouldn't hurt, but he still would not come close to Crosby in terms of accomplishments from a team perspective.

Ovechkin is a sure fire HOFer. He'll have a plaque and maybe a stick in there or something. Crosby will have his own wing if he wins another Cup in this era.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
Maybe I'm crazy (haven't read the thread just the first few posts and the title, so perhaps most people agree), but I genuinely think Matthews can't be placed in the same category as McDavid yet. Unless he blows up and scores 100 points in today's League, I don't see the same level of dominance just yet; I think the concept has been lost on a lot of people that 100 points is incredibly difficult to achieve in today's game.

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh

25 years from now as long as ovechkin is willing the nhl will have him around. The need for as much content as possible and nostalgia to draw in and entertain fans won't be diminishing any time soon. And he is a superstar's superstar despite no cups yet.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Wow you'd think people would stop putting OV on Sid's level by now. Team accomplishments aside, Crosby's overall game is ten times better than Ovechkins. I don't know how this is even a debatebanymore. Even when Sid doesn't show up on the score sheet, he does so many other things to help the team win. Same can't be said for OV. But I thought we all knew this by now.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Wow you'd think people would stop putting OV on Sid's level by now. Team accomplishments aside, Crosby's overall game is ten times better than Ovechkins. I don't know how this is even a debatebanymore. Even when Sid doesn't show up on the score sheet, he does so many other things to help the team win. Same can't be said for OV. But I thought we all knew this by now.

It's kind of cute, in a way.

It hasn't been a debate since the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. That's the event that will define the "before" and "after" in Ovechkin's career. Never was the same after that.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009

The debate isn't IF Sid is better. He is. He's just not 10 times better like you fan boys think. I have said over and over again in this thread that the gap isn't as big as people pretend it is and a Stanley Cup for OV makes it a debate again.... meaning there isn't a debate right now. But again Crosby fanboys want to keep pretending like Ovechkins hardware is meaningless.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
It's kind of cute, in a way.

It hasn't been a debate since the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. That's the event that will define the "before" and "after" in Ovechkin's career. Never was the same after that.

"After" the 2010 Olympics Ovechkin has won a Hart trophy in 2013, 4 Rocket Richard's 2013-16, and a Pearson/Lindsay. But please go on about how he was never the same player after that.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I said team accomplishments aside. As in forget about the cups Crosby won and OV hasnt. So don't why you went back to that again. But anyways, comparing player to player "only" ...its not even close anymore.

Also hard to take someone seriously that uses the term "fanboys".

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
I said team accomplishments aside. As in forget about the cups Crosby won and OV hasnt. So don't why you went back to that again. But anyways, comparing player to player "only" ...its not even close anymore.

Also hard to take someone seriously that uses the term "fanboys".

Hard to take someone seriously who says one guy is "ten times" the other player when their accomplishments don't reflect that. I really don't care if you like my terminology, deal with it.

If you put all team accomplishments aside then their resumes are far closer. Crosby has a higher ppg while Ovechkin's goal total is a lot higher.

Here's their NHL hardware side by side and I won't list 50 goal seasons.

3 Hart Trophies to Crosby's 2
6 Rocket Richard's to Crosby's 2
1 Art Ross to Crosby's 2
3 Pearson's/Lindsay's each
0 Conn Smythe's to Crosby's 1 (imo it should have gone to Kessel but whatever)
100 pt seasons 4 to Crosby's 5 (Obviously Crosby would have had more but you know, he's not as durable)

What in the above makes you think Crosby is 10 times better?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
^^^^ still doesn't get it. I said with accomplishments aside. Meaning hardware. You still bring all of that up twice. Was actually doing you a favor by leaving that stuff out.

I'm referring to what each player does out on the ice. And in order to compare, you have to watch the games. I'm assuming at this point you haven't been paying close attention. Years ago the debate was fine, but even most of the Crosby haters have now realized how much better he is than OV. Some people do get stuck in the times tho. So carry on...

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
^^^^ still doesn't get it. I said with accomplishments aside. Meaning hardware. You still bring all of that up twice. Was actually doing you a favor by leaving that stuff out.

I'm referring to what each player does out on the ice. And in order to compare, you have to watch the games. I'm assuming at this point you haven't been paying close attention. Years ago the debate was fine, but even most of the Crosby haters have now realized how much better he is than OV now. Some people do get stuck in the times tho. So carry on...

No you said "team accomplishments aside" meaning Stanley Cups and Gold Medals. You should pay attention to what you write because what you say matters when you're trying to make a point. The individual hardware matters because that's the greats are judged when it's all said and done. So once again, pay attention; Crosby is better but the gap isn't as big as you think and the hardware is the proof.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Why is Matthews in the title
?

Oh how I can't wait till eichel outscores Matthews again this time in a full season to once again have a higher PPG.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Look back at this thread. Oilers fans say McDavid is the best right now because he's won the Art Ross and most assume he'll win the Hart and Pearson too. Crosby fans say...wait a second, look at Crosby's hardware; McDavid has a lot of winning to do before he's on Crosby's level. But hardware doesn't count right.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Why is Matthews in the title
?

Oh how I can't wait till eichel outscores Matthews again this time in a full season to once again have a higher PPG.

Eichel is mad underrated because he plays in Buffalo and the Sabres stunk this year. Matthews is a great talent but he isn't generational.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
"After" the 2010 Olympics Ovechkin has won a Hart trophy in 2013, 4 Rocket Richard's 2013-16, and a Pearson/Lindsay. But please go on about how he was never the same player after that.

A Hart trophy in a season where Crosby was a shoe-in for the award but ended up missing a quarter of the season, and even then Ovechkin getting the Hart was questionable.

The Pearson he won in 09-10 was in large part due to his play from before the Olympics. 43 goals and 89 points in 53 games before the Olympics. 8 goals and 20 points in 19 games after the Olympics.

And you can split the career in half from that point on. 509 points in 378 games for a PPG of 1.35 before. 526 points in 543 games for a PPG of 0.97 after. The decrease was monumental.

Of course, he still racked up a lot of goals over that time period, but the decline in his game is obvious. Find me one Caps fan that thinks Ovechkin is as good a player now as he was in his peak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad