Mcavoy vs Marner vs Jones vs Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

who do you take?

• Total voters

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Matthews, closely followed by Jones for me. With Matthews, you're basically getting an instant Top-6 line...where he's shown that he can be productive, even without the most amazing linemates (or linemates playing that amazingly well). But a young #1RHD like Jones is right there in value. Basically just comes down to a "#1D vs #1C" poll effectively.

I don't think Marner and McAvoy's value is that outrageously far off after that. Depends on how you value Winger vs Defence, where i think the premium on young top-pairing type defencemen really closes the gap on Marner's obvious raw scoring advantage. Enough that if you're a team like say...Boston, you'd prefer to just stick with McAvoy even if you're offered a swap for Marner "straight up" like that post being discussed.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Matthews should win this easily(and he is....).

But I voted Marner because I think he will end up being the most valuable/best of this bunch.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Matthews.

Look at the 2013 draft, Avs did the exact same thing, and drafted a Matthews like player, although players like Jones might be harder to come by, players like Matthews and MacKinnon are more important generally.

IcedJuicebox

Feb 2, 2019
If you go look at the Marner for Mcavoy thread it seems people think Mcavoy>Marner
Marner is a better winger than McAvoy is a defenseman, but he's still a winger. Does he deserve $10mill, absolutely. But not on a team with a $7million player at the same position, and two $11million centers.

Matthews
Jones
Marner
McAvoy

But for the leafs, yes, McAvoy over 1 of marner/nylander.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Matthews.

Look at the 2013 draft, Avs did the exact same thing, and drafted a Matthews like player, although players like Jones might be harder to come by, players like Matthews and MacKinnon are more important generally.
What??? “... a Matthews like player...”; you mean MacKinnon? MacKinnon is a better player than Matthews on a better team cap % deal (even when signed) than Matthews.

Just sounded a bit stifled and odd to use a comparison to someone better, yet using the worse player as the comparison. Maybe you were trying to do that, idk. Came off a bit weird reading that.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Matthews/Marner
Jones

McAvoy (I don't think he should be here)
I tend to agree but I wanted to get a feel for how others felt. In the Marner for Mcavoy thread there seemed to be a consensus that Mcavoy>Marner but in hindsight it was mainly the usual suspects that felt that way.

Eastborn142

Jun 29, 2019
I tend to agree but I wanted to get a feel for how others felt. In the Marner for Mcavoy thread there seemed to be a consensus that Mcavoy>Marner but in hindsight it was mainly the usual suspects that felt that way.
it's always the usual suspects. The player who wears blue and white is always inferior no matter what.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
it's always the usual suspects. The player who wears blue and white is always inferior no matter what.
I kinda wonder if at some time all other fan bases got together and decided too rip/under value every Leaf asset. "Hey guys lets undervalue every Leaf asset and as soon as they are traded praise them", "it will be hilarious!"

just thought of a great burn reply
"yea that gathering was called the playoffs" HAHAHA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad