Maybe Tavares is the problem

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Marner’s “team friendly” deal would be Nylander’s contract, 11.5 million per.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
just because JT hangs around the crease doesn't mean he ''competes to the best of his abilities''

he's already made his cash but his main priority is still padding his stats while he cheats on D and ignores teammates looking for his

but hey it's been 20 yrs of blaming everyone but JT so i guess why should we stop now !

as for Marner , i look him the same way i would Patty Kane and that is i'm not looking for him to bang and crash but to create for his teammates and that's why the Hawks used him with players that compliment his game and not to try to prop up an overrated center
If you think Matthews is "an overrated center", what's your opinion of Tavares?

Reactions: arso40

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If you think Matthews is "an overrated center", what's your opinion of Tavares?
first Willie then Mitch and now Mathews gets chucked under the bus to deflect attention away from Johnny Anchor

is it any wonder why none of JT's teammates ever give a damn when he gets filled in

Last edited:
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't think he's THE problem, but certainly hasn't elevated his play enough like he's paid to. And I do question his leadership of the team given their ability to get over the hump.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Marner hate is all the rage right now but maybe it's JT that should be shouldering lots to blame

Look at his Islander days he missed the playoffs in 6 out of 9 years. Point totals in the playoffs drop significantly.

I think his leadership with no emotion and robot-like affect the team. I think you need a better captain who will get piss guys off and call them out when they suck.

Sure Marner has his faults in the playoffs with him being scared but maybe he needs a leader to call his bullshit out and tell him to man up. JT is not that leader

Maybe getting rid of JT next year is the turning point of the franchise and the cap hit they need to get rid of.

Marner would so do himself a favor if he signed a team-friendly deal to take the pressure off him
They are both a problem that need to be removed.

Yet, they both have one year left.

One guy is going to ask for a significant raise and term, the other guy might retire or sign super cheap..............

I agree on the robot thing btw.

Where is the pulse? It's hard to tell.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

Attachments

• 20240617_141757.jpg
    20240617_141757.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 7

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Tavares signed for 13,84% of the cap
Panarin signed for 14.29%

Marner has better production than they did at the time they signed , is better defensively than both so i doubt there won't be teams lining up to make him offers if he becomes a ufa .

I believe the game plan should be to have Mitch shop himself as a ufa , have some of the company paid insiders spread rumors how they believe team x has offered 14m then have him re-sign with the Leafs at 12.5m x 8 yrs which is about 13,9% of the projected 90m cap next summer and spin it as a discount .

floating a picture of himself in a Leaf jersey as a kid can't hurt either

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Team stats for Marners down year, Nylander's breakout year.

View attachment 883951
A down year?

He's 1.22 PPG since 2018 / 2019, he actually got a bit higher of a PPG last year. Calling that a down year is just not true.

His production is textbook Marner by his career standards.

This discussion is completely moot, everybody knows Tavares is $11M of dead cap. There's really nothing to debate or discuss here

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Ah yes, the ol' "games 1-4 don't matter" argument... this is a useless argument, it makes little sense to me.
Compared to games 5 6 and 7? no they don't matter. Game 4 I'll give you. Because you can possibly be eliminated or eliminate the opposition.

And you're absolutely right about 1 thing. It is a useless argument. Just not in the way that you think.

And I don't blame you for it making sense to you. Because it destroys your boy Marner's credibility. The deeper the series goes the quicker he disappears. And for 10.9 million a year that's simply not going to cut it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Compared to games 5 6 and 7? no they don't matter. Game 4 I'll give you. Because you can possibly be eliminated or eliminate the opposition.

And you're absolutely right about 1 thing. It is a useless argument. Just not in the way that you think.

By this logic, game 7 is likely the most important, correct?

Kucherov has fewer points than Marner in game 7s, does this mean Marner > Kucherov in the playoffs?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
By this logic, game 7 is likely the most important, correct?

Kucherov has fewer points than Marner in game 7s, does this mean Marner > Kucherov in the playoffs?

Maybe that would be the argument if it wasn't for the fact that Kucherov has twice as many Stanley Cups as Marner has playoff rounds won under their respective belts.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Maybe that would be the argument if it wasn't for the fact that Kucherov has twice as many Stanley Cups as Marner has playoff rounds won under their respective belts.

So the game in which they put up points does or doesn't matter? I am confused.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
No. It doesn't matter if you win a cup.

Do you really think that anybody on here would give a rat's ass about Marner's Five Points in 21 game five six and sevens so far in his career if the Leafs won back-to-back cups?

No, I don't, which means they sometimes matter, which is even more idiotic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad