Prospect Info: May 2024 - Detroit prospect voting #6

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is Detroit's #6 prospect?

• LW - Elmer Söderblom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C - Amadeus Lombardi

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • RW - Cross Hanas

• LD - William Wallinder

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • RD - Andrew Gibson

• G - Trey Augustine

Votes: 62 74.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Carter Mazur wins the 5th round.

1. C Nate Danielson - 39.8% (1st round, 9th overall, 2023)
2. RD Axel Sandin-Pellikka - 46.0% (1st round, 17th overall, 2023)
3. G Sebastian Cossa - 49.0% (15th overall, 1st round 2021 draft)
4. C Marco Kasper - 87.1% (8th overall, 1st round 2022 draft)
5. RW Carter Mazur - 40.7% (70th overall, 3rd round 2021 draft)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Did we not add anyone after last round? I would have added both Buchelnikov and Buium

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Johansson is my vote here, but since he’s somehow not on the ballot and Cross Hanas is (lmao), I’ll go with Augustine.

Reactions: lilidk

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Gotta love the chaos of the Henkka Prospect Polls™.

A guy who has a chance to win the vote was left off and this wasn't discovered for 10 WHOLE MINUTES... guess we shouldn't try to fix it or create a new thread or anything.

Reactions: jaster

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Someone wanna explain Augustine over Wallinder to me?

I don’t think people are factoring in the very real uphill battle Augustine is going to face playing goalie in the NHL at his size. Look at how Levi and Wolf have done in the NHL games they’ve played despite success everywhere else.

The margin of error for these guys is so small.

Edit - I see he’s listed at 6’1 now? If that is accurate than I’m not as concerned. Still think Wallinder is both more likely to make it and has higher upside….

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
i'm feeling pretty pessimistic about him coming over but yeah he definitely at least belongs in the poll at this point
How so? Legitimately asking since I don't think there's been any problem bringing russian players in the last few months but maybe you can explain your thoughts. My observations are nothing scientific but with Michkov coming over and Buchelnikov seemingly "liking" almost everything red wings related on instagram, I feel like he ultimately wants to come here. Him being sent on a loan in pretty much the exact same way SKA did with Michkov, I imagine both of them have the ultimate goal of being in the NHL.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
I'll go with Kenneth James here. I might go with Albert Johansson if he was an option, but I am coming around on Ken. He has been impressive at multiple levels, and I'm starting to think the "goalies are voodoo" think is nonsense. Goalies drafted in the first 2 rounds clearly have a higher likelihood of making it than goalies taken later

And I think like 10 more guys should be added to the poll at this point. Buium, Johansson, Johansson, Buchelnikov, James, Cleveland, Dower-Nilsson, Tuomisto (and probably a couple more) are all guys that could start to get votes right now and might surprise

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
How so? Legitimately asking since I don't think there's been any problem bringing russian players in the last few months but maybe you can explain your thoughts. My observations are nothing scientific but with Michkov coming over and Buchelnikov seemingly "liking" almost everything red wings related on instagram, I feel like he ultimately wants to come here. Him being sent on a loan in pretty much the exact same way SKA did with Michkov, I imagine both of them have the ultimate goal of being in the NHL.

the contract extension he signed over there feels like a signal that he isn't willing to spend any time in the AHL and i'm skeptical that the Wings would let him skip that

Reactions: Realgud

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Someone wanna explain Augustine over Wallinder to me?

I don’t think people are factoring in the very real uphill battle Augustine is going to face playing goalie in the NHL at his size. Look at how Levi and Wolf have done in the NHL games they’ve played despite success everywhere else.

The margin of error for these guys is so small.

Edit - I see he’s listed at 6’1 now? If that is accurate than I’m not as concerned. Still think Wallinder is both more likely to make it and has higher upside….
What I've seen Augustine do against his peers has been more impressive to me than what I've seen Wallinder do against his peers. Wallinder has him beat in terms of proximity, but I've never been able to get too excited about Wallinder. People often say he has a high ceiling, but I'm not so sure. His size and skating give him a high floor to me, but I don't see much that screams "high ceiling."

If everything works out for Wallinder, I see him as a #5 who may be able to aptly step into the top-4 for small stretches. But even then, I like all of Edvinsson, Walman, and Johansson better than him in terms of the Wings future (though, admittedly, I can see Walman getting traded, so maybe a door opens for Wallinder there). But his trajectory has been a little uneven to me.

If everything works out for Augustine, I can see him as one half of a 1A/1B situation in net. And I think that has more value. He's had the better trajectory too. His size concerns me not at all.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What I've seen Augustine do against his peers has been more impressive to me than what I've seen Wallinder do against his peers. Wallinder has him beat in terms of proximity, but I've never been able to get too excited about Wallinder. People often say he has a high ceiling, but I'm not so sure. His size and skating give him a high floor to me, but I don't see much that screams "high ceiling."

If everything works out for Wallinder, I see him as a #5 who may be able to aptly step into the top-4 for small stretches. But even then, I like all of Edvinsson, Walman, and Johansson better than him in terms of the Wings future (though, admittedly, I can see Walman getting traded, so maybe a door opens for Wallinder there). But his trajectory has been a little uneven to me.

If everything works out for Augustine, I can see him as one half of a 1A/1B situation in net. And I think that has more value. He's had the better trajectory too. His size concerns me not at all.
Go watch what he did last night for Grand Rapids.

Your scouting report for Wallinder is pretty far off compared to every other scouting report I’ve read on him since his draft year and doesn’t really match with what I’ve seen when I’ve watched him either.

To say he maxes out as a #5 is nuts, IMO.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Wallinder is an AHL rookie that has pretty much been a 3rd pairing guy all year and didn't really play on the powerplay either

I feel like people forget that sometimes and read a bit too much into his AHL performance this year

not that I necessarily have anything against Augustine going before him

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
I still need to see the physicality and passion from Wallinder. I think he's an NHL player, but if he can add some physicality/bulk/fire to his game.. watch out.

I went with Augustine for the star power. Dude is listed at 6'1" and seems plenty long to me.

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Go watch what he did last night for Grand Rapids.

Your scouting report for Wallinder is pretty far off compared to every other scouting report I’ve read on him since his draft year and doesn’t really match with what I’ve seen when I’ve watched him either.

To say he maxes out as a #5 is nuts, IMO.
I'm not saying he's a shit prospect, he's capable of having a good game. But he's also often overrated around here (not an issue unique to Wallinder, mind you). People have looked at his good qualities and ignored his lacking qualities, and then projected him as an Edvinsson-lite or something. It's weird.

Here's my scouting report, and I can't find a published one that differs in a significantly meaningful way, other than throwing in some hopes and dreams that this profile projects higher in the lineup than I do:

He has an above-average shot, but he doesn't really provide meaningful offense. He has great reach, but doesn't really defend well in his own end. He doesn't tilt the ice in the offensive, nor defensive zone. Compete level and intensity often lacking. He also makes questionable reads. Where he does provide value is in transition, both ways. His skating and reach allow him to break up the other team's transition game. His skating and puck-carrying ability allow him to transition the offense up ice. These are great qualities for a guy lower in your lineup, hence a #5. But if you aren't a true offensive defenseman, and you don't have shutdown ability, there's not a ton of room for you in the top-4. He has the potential to provide value to an NHL roster if his development can take one more significant step.

Reactions: norrisnick

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not saying he's a shit prospect, he's capable of having a good game. But he's also often overrated around here (not an issue unique to Wallinder, mind you). People have looked at his good qualities and ignored his lacking qualities, and then projected him as an Edvinsson-lite or something. It's weird.

Here's my scouting report, and I can't find a published one that differs in a significantly meaningful way, other than throwing in some hopes and dreams that this profile projects higher in the lineup than I do:

He has an above-average shot, but he doesn't really provide meaningful offense. He has great reach, but doesn't really defend well in his own end. He doesn't tilt the ice in the offensive, nor defensive zone. Compete level and intensity often lacking. He also makes questionable reads. Where he does provide value is in transition, both ways. His skating and reach allow him to break up the other team's transition game. His skating and puck-carrying ability allow him to transition the offense up ice. These are great qualities for a guy lower in your lineup, hence a #5. But if you aren't a true offensive defenseman, and you don't have shutdown ability, there's not a ton of room for you in the top-4. He has the potential to provide value to an NHL roster if his development can take one more significant step.
This is what was in the elite prospects draft guide for him:
Wallinder towers over the competition, standing 6-foot-4 and weighing 194 pounds -- there's plenty of room for him to fill out that frame. He might be the most technically skilled skater among all defenceman in this draft. He's a great puck-carrier, eager to lead his team up the ice, and with a great deal of initiative in creative offensive chances. -
Pretty sure hockeyprospect.com was also high on him, can post what they had later.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad