Prospect Info: Matthew Beniers (Round 1, 2 overall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Beniers received First Team All American honors

Well, Columbus even signed Blankenburg(undrafted NCAA free agent from Michigan) as well.

So it seems like everyone's signing guys.

Of course while in Seattle....
giphy.gif

Columbus had some promising signings today.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Beniers received First Team All American honors

Well, Columbus even signed Blankenburg(undrafted NCAA free agent from Michigan) as well.

So it seems like everyone's signing guys.

Of course while in Seattle....
giphy.gif

Man. I was really hoping for Blankenburg to sing with us. A little perturbing that the only FA we have signed so far has been Kartye. Need to be freaking signing more younger kids and hope to hit home runs with them.

I genuinely don't get it.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Man. I was really hoping for Blankenburg to sing with us. A little perturbing that the only FA we have signed so far has been Kartye. Need to be freaking signing more younger kids and hope to hit home runs with them.

I genuinely don't get it.

He's undersized (5'9" 175 lbs) and will probably never make the NHL. He's from Washington, MI which is just north of Detroit, so Cleveland is about a 3 hour drive. These kids are pretty realistic about their NHL chances, they're looking at the location of the AHL teams. Ben Myers is reported looking at Minnesota (home town and Iowa is the closest AHL team) or Detroit.

Signing up to play for a brand new AHL team in a high cost of living area doesn't really sound all that appealing if you ask me. I think Kartye signed because Francis gave him max signing bonus ($92.5k per season) which is more than his annual AHL salary, plus the Kraken suck so he has a better chance of making the big club.

It's not a big deal, very few undrafted college free agents become star NHL players, Krug is the last one I can remember and that was a decade ago.

Reactions: NiagaraKraken

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He's undersized (5'9" 175 lbs) and will probably never make the NHL. He's from Washington, MI which is just north of Detroit, so Cleveland is about a 3 hour drive. These kids are pretty realistic about their NHL chances, they're looking at the location of the AHL teams. Ben Myers is reported looking at Minnesota (home town and Iowa is the closest AHL team) or Detroit.

Signing up to play for a brand new AHL team in a high cost of living area doesn't really sound all that appealing if you ask me. I think Kartye signed because Francis gave him max signing bonus ($92.5k per season) which is more than his annual AHL salary, plus the Kraken suck so he has a better chance of making the big club.

It's not a big deal, very few undrafted college free agents become star NHL players, Krug is the last one I can remember and that was a decade ago.
Good points. Thanks for the explanation.

I still think that there is more of a chance for such players to earn a spot in an NHL roster or atleast an AHL roster (which is bare for us) than most teams. The $$ aspect does make sense though.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Good points. Thanks for the explanation.

I still think that there is more of a chance for such players to earn a spot in an NHL roster or atleast an AHL roster (which is bare for us) than most teams. The $$ aspect does make sense though.

I would imagine that Francis' plan is to fill the AHL roster with AHL vets since it's a new team. A brand new AHL team with a whole bunch of college UFAs with no AHL experience would just repeat the Kraken inaugural season disaster. I'd be more inclined to sign an established AHL scorer like Riley Barber than a college UFA.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that the AHL is a physical league and teams usually have an enforcer. College hockey is a whole different game, there is absolutely no fighting allowed. Hence the concern about filling up an AHL team with a bunch of college UFAs.

Francis will probably have to find an AHL enforcer, not sure who's available.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I would imagine that Francis' plan is to fill the AHL roster with AHL vets since it's a new team. A brand new AHL team with a whole bunch of college UFAs with no AHL experience would just repeat the Kraken inaugural season disaster. I'd be more inclined to sign an established AHL scorer like Riley Barber than a college UFA.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that the AHL is a physical league and teams usually have an enforcer. College hockey is a whole different game, there is absolutely no fighting allowed. Hence the concern about filling up an AHL team with a bunch of college UFAs.

Francis will probably have to find an AHL enforcer, not sure who's available.
The problem with that thinking is that you can only dress 5 veteran players a game. I'm sure they'll sign some guys who don't meet the veteran status but have played in the AHL a few years, Twarynski won't be considered a vet but True will and both are the same age. They don't have many prospects moving up so will need to find a lot younger players somewhere.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Those poor dudes, going from making a decent living for Charlotte to Palm Springs. Better weather during season, but 34.2% higher cost of living. They should have put the AHL team in Yakima or Spokane which are the only decent sized cities lower than Charlotte up here. Yakima also doesn’t have WHL competition and has an arena that can do hockey (Sundome). Palm Springs of Washington too. Lmfao.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Those poor dudes, going from making a decent living for Charlotte to Palm Springs. Better weather during season, but 34.2% higher cost of living. They should have put the AHL team in Yakima or Spokane which are the only decent sized cities lower than Charlotte up here. Yakima also doesn’t have WHL competition and has an arena that can do hockey (Sundome). Palm Springs of Washington too. Lmfao.
Yeah. Hopefully the offer cheaper residence/boarding for the AHL folks.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The problem with that thinking is that you can only dress 5 veteran players a game. I'm sure they'll sign some guys who don't meet the veteran status but have played in the AHL a few years, Twarynski won't be considered a vet but True will and both are the same age. They don't have many prospects moving up so will need to find a lot younger players somewhere.

Veteran rule is 260 pro games and over 25 years old. I'm sure they'll be able to find 23 or 24 year olds that teams have given up on. If not we're looking at more unsigned CHL guys like Kartye. College players tend to be undersized.

Regardless, I'd rather see 21 YO kids graduating from juniors than 23 YO kids graduating from college. I wonder what the numbers are as far as how many of each are currently in the league.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Veteran rule is 260 pro games and over 25 years old. I'm sure they'll be able to find 23 or 24 year olds that teams have given up on. If not we're looking at more unsigned CHL guys like Kartye. College players tend to be undersized.

Regardless, I'd rather see 21 YO kids graduating from juniors than 23 YO kids graduating from college. I wonder what the numbers are as far as how many of each are currently in the league.

Or we can draft european players and put them right in the AHL, or draft from US/canada leagues that isn't the CHL and again put them right in the AHL.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

If you're relying on 23 year olds that were let go by their former team then you're going to be in trouble. Those type of players are going to be barely AHL caliber. College players may be undersized in height but they're usually filled out physically so they can come into the AHL and not get pushed around.

I wouldn't care if it's a 21 year old CHL kid or a 23 year old NCAA one, you want the best kids graduating regardless of age and prior league. There are more CHL kids in the NHL than NCAA ones but that trend seems to be shifting recently, just look at last draft where only 1 of the top 5 was CHL and 4 were NCAA.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If you're relying on 23 year olds that were let go by their former team then you're going to be in trouble. Those type of players are going to be barely AHL caliber. College players may be undersized in height but they're usually filled out physically so they can come into the AHL and not get pushed around.

I wouldn't care if it's a 21 year old CHL kid or a 23 year old NCAA one, you want the best kids graduating regardless of age and prior league. There are more CHL kids in the NHL than NCAA ones but that trend seems to be shifting recently, just look at last draft where only 1 of the top 5 was CHL and 4 were NCAA.
Not sure what the draft has to do with it, undrafted college kids are nothing like the ones drafted.

You should take a look at the list of undrafted college players before you talk, there's not much there. Tell who you want aside from Ben Myers and maybe one of the goalies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not sure what the draft has to do with it, undrafted college kids are nothing like the ones drafted.

You should take a look at the list of undrafted college players before you talk, there's not much there. Tell who you want aside from Ben Myers and maybe one of the goalies.

Where did I say anything about the draft? Maybe go reread what you wrote and my response.

Go look at the undrafted CHL players as well, there's not much there either so not sure why you're talking? Livingston, Scanlin, Mclaughlin and Trivigno aren't bad options that I wouldn't have a problem if the Kraken had signed.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I am hoping he gets signed today. I was thinking maybe Francis did not want to take the spotlight away from the NCAA frozen four by signing Beniers before the tournament was over.

If we burn a year of his ELC it would be good to see him play more games this season and not less.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I am hoping he gets signed today. I was thinking maybe Francis did not want to take the spotlight away from the NCAA frozen four by signing Beniers before the tournament was over.

If we burn a year of his ELC it would be good to see him play more games this season and not less.

Well, everyone seems to be signing those college players right now. Of course besides us..

I know it doesn't make a huge difference if he playse two games more or less for us, but it's quite strange that he's still not signed while all the other ones(of Michigan) have done so.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well, everyone seems to be signing those college players right now. Of course besides us..

I know it doesn't make a huge difference if he playse two games more or less for us, but it's quite strange that he's still not signed while all the other ones(of Michigan) have done so.
Yeah. Definitely seems strange and there is always that thought in the back of mind that he wants to go back for unfinished business. i.e win a NCAA championship.

Logically it makes no sense because a) It would stagnate his development and b) There is no guarantee he wins that championship anyway with Johnson and Power gone.

Maybe I am just reading too much into the delay of the signing.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
i'll say this regarding Beniers do not be surprised if Seattle tries him as a 1C for the rest of the season before setting him on more longer term Center position line wise for next season. The first set of games will give the team an idea on how he'll handle NHL talent so it wouldn't hurt to throw him as a 1C and see what happens then set a more long term forward line position in the off-season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
i'll say this regarding Beniers do not be surprised if Seattle tries him as a 1C for the rest of the season before setting him on more longer term Center position line wise for next season. The first set of games will give the team an idea on how he'll handle NHL talent so it wouldn't hurt to throw him as a 1C and see what happens then set a more long term forward line position in the off-season.
I don't think that is a great idea putting that much pressure on him. That being said, the team has been playing McCann on the 4th line so do we really have true 1-4 lines right now? Also, is he really a better option that Gourde, Wennberg or McCann right now?

Easing him to the speed and physicality of the NHL is a better way to introduce him to the pros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad