Confirmed with Link: Matt Cooke (Released from Wild)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Well, Cooke is a better all around player than Clutterbuck.

I agree, but it's close, and Clutterbuck is about 9 years younger and doesn't have the bad history.

It reeks of Fletcher bringing in "his guy" yet again - guys that aren't really that good or useful.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I think a lot of people posting here don't remember 2003 or were fans of the team before Cooke was with Pittsburgh.

I've been a Cooke-hater since the 2003 playoffs, but any positivity I have is more trying to make the best of a less than desirable situation. I just hope he keeps his nose clean like he says he will and represents the team and the state with as much class as possible (a tall order, I know, but hopefully that's what unfolds).

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Oh the life of a Minnesota Wild fan, hated by many, even ourselves....

Minnesota sports masochism is what I call it boyo.

Born into a life of pain and suffering.

As for Fletcher, it's one thing to move fan favorites before they're due to be paid (Burns, Clutterbuck), it's completely another to bring a guy like this on. It smacks of having zero pulse of the fan base. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing. With this single move he's put himself on the radar of every single fan who either liked what he was doing or hated the progress. If his team fails to look like a solid playoff team, he very well may have just seen his last offseason with this club.

Foolish signing on so many levels, IMO.

To be honest, I think Fletcher/Yeo are on the chopping block if this team doesn't make the playoffs, Yeo perhaps more so than Fletcher.

At some point it's good to have people with no emotion but their jobs on the line pulling the strings, and other times it's not. If he doesn't pan out though, the backlash will likely be huge.

I don't have to like the guy personally but it doesn't mean I won't cheer for this team or say Fletcher should be fired. He is a polarizing player to be sure but Yeo and Fletcher have history with him and he does bring a lot of things this team needs. IMO, some people need to step away from the keyboard for a while,

It brings emotional reactions for sure, but I remember a few months ago when we were all incredibly upset when our team did nothing for "payback" for the Perry and Brown hits that had our team lose games and more importantly lose players.

Cooke, with his reputation might be able to stave some of that off.

Too many times last year did this team get beat down physically, not rise to the challenge, and went into a passive shell and blew the game. Basically just turtled.

As someone pointed out in this thread, to have a team in this league now, and a successful one you almost have to have a type of player like this (which sucks, but c'est la vie).

I'll reserve judgement until he suits up and represents our state and team, but when I woke up from my nap and heard this one I was pretty surprised --- especially after Fletcher said the team didn't need more grit with Clutterbuck leaving (if I remember right?) not to mention his previous "history" with this franchise.

Bertuzzi might be the only signing that could potentially be worse, but some could probably argue for Cooke.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
That irrational feeling some posters have is PASSION.
Normally it's a good thing. But then there are days like today when you start repeatedly cursing out loud at your cell phone...sometimes doing so in public places.

Sooooooo......when is the big press conference? :sarcasm:

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I think a lot of people posting here don't remember 2003 or were fans of the team before Cooke was with Pittsburgh.

I remember it just fine, but I got over it. Like I said, I don't have to like the guy but I trust the staff, especially a staff that already knows him and has a history with him. We needed some grit, toughness and someone who would stand up for his teammates. Well, here he is.

Billy Mays Here*

I've been a big Fletcher supporter ever since we hired him but after today. . . . . ugh, I just don't know. We just traded away our best shooter for peanuts, overpaid a bottom pairing d-man, and signed one of my most hated players. **** this day, too pissed to think clearly right now.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Pens fan here. Matt Cooke is a very good hockey player. Don't let the blind hatred from fans across the league fool you, he will help any team he plays for. Good defensively, great PKer and can add some offense. He's really toned down the dirty play too. He'll help your team win.

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
Ok so PMB, Cullen, Seto & Clutterbuck Are all gone to be replaced by Cooke & an unproven prospect in Nino... I don't like Cooke & I'm not happy he's on our team at all but what I'm most concerned about is how in any way, shape or form are we better now?

MG was a big disappointment last season & I'm not counting on him to be much better this season & we could very easily have a complete bust in Nino. (Please know though that I really like Nino and I do hope he ends up being a steal but Im not going to count my chickens before they hatch..)

With that said I hope I'm wrong but I feel like were counting on waaaaay too many of our young rookies & prospects to have an impact. I love coyle & I think Zucker has potential to be solid but between sophomore slumps & potential injuries I have no idea how we're a better team after these moves...?

Can someone take this ugly bag of snakes & lay them out straight for me? When I do player to player comparisons all I see is a lot less goals, more uncertainty, too much praying & hoping the rookies all over perform and with all of that we still have 2 huge holes, a solid #2 center & a solid 2nd paring defenseman. Now we have no money left & only our prospects as trade bait..

Lastly I know gooch wasn't Malkin but I have to say I think we got nowhere near enough for him. I don't like the odds of a future 2nd round pick somehow ending up being better than what we had in seto... considering how many picks bust I feel like we just gave him away for nothing..

I'm truly confused with our plan.. I just don't see how we're even a playoff team now..?

Last edited:

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I've been a big Fletcher supporter ever since we hired him but after today. . . . . ugh, I just don't know. We just traded away our best shooter for peanuts, overpaid a bottom pairing d-man, and signed one of my most hated players. **** this day, too pissed to think clearly right now.
Our best shooter? :help:

Billy Mays Here*

Our best shooter? :help:

Yes, our best shooter. He has a better shot than both Parise and Heatley. Parise isn't a hard shooter and Heatley is inaccurate, always shooting it right into the goalie's chest. Seto has a relatively hard shot and is quite accurate.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Huh...Alright...Didn't see THAT one coming at all...

Well, uh... I'll hope for the better?

One of the few layers I pretty much just hate....

I do have to admit he appears to have cleaned up his game some, and that he is a reasonably effective player. I hate to admit that but h does do the team he is on some good. He's even better at that role than Clutter - AAAAnd now I hate myself for finding something positive about him...

Oy.... I hope this works out.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
I sure wish the Setoguchi some are describing today had played for the Minnesota Wild. That Setoguchi would have been an unstoppable force for sure.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Hope one of two things happens...Evander Kane KOs him into retirement, or he and Hall knee on knee each other. Either way, karma should take care of him.

Cooke is the most gutless player of the past 10 years. Not only what he did to the Wild but how many dirty hits with Washington and then Pitt. Never backs it up, just chirps, then turtles. Will not cheer for him at all.

Billy Mays Here*

Hope one of two things happens...Evander Kane KOs him into retirement, or he and Hall knee on knee each other. Either way, karma should take care of him.

Cooke is the most gutless player of the past 10 years. Not only what he did to the Wild but how many dirty hits with Washington and then Pitt. Never backs it up, just chirps, then turtles. Will not cheer for him at all.

Yep, I hate him too. One of the few players I would like to see get injured, I don't care that he plays for us.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Pens fan here. Matt Cooke is a very good hockey player. Don't let the blind hatred from fans across the league fool you, he will help any team he plays for. Good defensively, great PKer and can add some offense. He's really toned down the dirty play too. He'll help your team win.

No need to hear any other fan base's opinion to create hate here. We already have witnessed enough of his antics against our own squad to form our own very vivid memory of what he has done in this league. Our hate for him as a person is anything BUT blind.

I do agree that he does offer a lot as a hockey player that the Wild absolutely need... and I trust Fletcher in running this team, so I will "tolerate" his presence on the roster. I will not like him ever as a person though.

Cannot agree with you at all... I never wish injury on anyone... period.

kegstandbyme

Apr 12, 2010
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Like I stated earlier, not a fan of the cheap shots. But why would people hope the signing backfires and he doesn't help the team? No matter if you hate the guy, let's hope he helps us succeed otherwise, why even bother cheering for the Wild?

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Wow at 80% of people's reactions to this...

I'm fine with it. We needed a guy like him after trading Clutterbuck.

A guy everyone hates unless he's on your team

Then you should have signed Lappy from Vancouver he atleast is just a little puke, on a side not pens became half a percent more likeable.

Sorry I was begining to like your team and root for you guys but I am off that ship, hope he becomes a scratch quickly.

Doobz89

Apr 12, 2011
Yes, our best shooter. He has a better shot than both Parise and Heatley. Parise isn't a hard shooter and Heatley is inaccurate, always shooting it right into the goalie's chest. Seto has a relatively hard shot and is quite accurate.

LOL Seto was not our best shooter. Pominville and Heatley have much better shots than Seto

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

I honestly hate nearly all of your posts but this one pretty much sums up my thoughts on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad