Mats Zuccarello

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskers*

You guys can love his personality and say he's great for the city but that does not equate into a long term deal and does not mean anymore wins. The truth is, he has been less than a average NHL player most of his career.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
You guys can love his personality and say he's great for the city but that does not equate into a long term deal and does not mean anymore wins. The truth is, he has been less than a average NHL player most of his career.

So the 59 points he scored last year to lead the team mean.... Nothing?

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

When was he lass then an average nhl player ? The time he went 0.5 ppg or the time he was pulled back from Russia and decided to be one of the better rangers forwards in the coming playoff ? Or last season when he was totally bad over 80+ games (PO included)

If Zucc fires on all cylinders you sign him, its not even a discussion

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
So the 59 points he scored last year to lead the team mean.... Nothing?

It's no point discussing here.. He has issues with size for the sake of size/height debate. That Rick Nash did literally nothing in the playoffs last year, or his entire playoffs career is not even mentioned in the 'size' debate.
I'm disappointed to say you're fans and bash own players like on this forum, but I know some of you are forum trolls who root for other teams and not Rangers.
It's a lot worse compared to disqus earlier on Blueshirts related to Rangers.

Last edited:

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Please. People are fans of the team, the organization, not necessarily of every individual player. Criticism is legitimate. So are trade proposals. Even those who go out of their way to bash their least favorite players are legitimate fans. The troll accusation is not justified at all.

For the record, I think the criticism is way too harsh from certain posters (and repeated in every gdt even for games where he actually plays well), kind of like he received too much praise last year when he was named (by many) the only reason his line was dominating.

I think he will find his way out of this scoring funk and hope he stays, but at some point you can't keep saying "it's only been n games". More than a third of the regular season games have already been played.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
The cap rise should ensure that that wont have to be an event we even have to consider. On that subject, Staal is playing his way to the trade board by a series of magnificent defensive blunders that directly lead to scoring.

Zucc is just going through a scoring "slump"

Call it what you will but it still doesn't discount the fact that the Rangers have depth on the wings and not on top Dmen.
Even with a slight raise in the cap, this team will be strapped to keep more important players long term like a Stepan and yes, even Hagelin is more important than Zucc and will probably cost less.
Have nothing against Zucc and wish we could find a spot for him for the long term but that just doesn't seem possible... and thinking he'll take a pay cut is sheer naivety.
This scenario isn't exclusive to the Rangers. Every team is somewhat forced to trade players they don't want to.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
The question is never going to be Staal or Zooks. The question is do we give Staal (one of my faves) a 36-40 mill long term contract that he likes starting at Girardi money. If it was a healthy all star Staal I would say definitely but we will have to see if Staal can be that consistent again.

Staal will probably get a proposed contract that is similar to Girardi.
Now, the defense as a whole has not looked good and there's no doubt people around are quick to point fingers but there also has to be some thought into who will replace Staal and if that contract for a player is worth it.
Nobody knows how much Sekera will get much less how he'll perform on this team. Its a big gamble. Sather won't let Staal's agent fleece him. He'll get a contract proposal that's probably backed up by fancy stats that will prove what he's worth. Staal doesn't like it then it is what it is... the new NHL.

Whiskers*

If you read my post, I said most of his career. He has 78 points in almost 120 games. If you think that equates into a long term deal your nuts aza. Zucc has done nothing that tells me we should commit long term dollars to this guy. The NHL is a "prove it" league. You either do and get paid or you don't and don't get paid. Zucc has not proved that he can score on a consistent basis in the NHL and that is why he won't get a long term deal. This team has to get Stepan signed long term ( because he has proved it) get Hags signed, get MSL signed, get Talbot signed ( because they don't have another goalie in the organization), then you can give Zucc another one year deal to "prove it".

Last edited by a moderator:

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
If you read my post, I said most of his career. He has 78 points in almost 120 games. If you think that equates into a long term deal your nuts aza. Zucc has done nothing that tells me we should commit long term dollars to this guy. The NHL is a "prove it" league. You either do and get paid or you don't and don't get paid. Zucc has not proved that he can score on a consistent basis in the NHL and that is why he won't get a long term deal. This team has to get Stepan signed long term ( because he has proved it) get Hags signed, get MSL signed, get Talbot signed ( because they don't have another goalie in the organization), then you can give Zucc another one year deal to "prove it".
So what did Hagelin prove that Zuccarello didn't? If you offer him another year to prove it, chances are he will fly and prove himself elsewere. He' in a slump yet producing at Hagelin pace.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Lots of players of all types and scoring get longer term deals than 1 year.

You said he has 78 points in 120 games (reality is that he has 104 points in 168 games) and you call that below average. In what league is that below average for a guy that has made 1-3 mill a year in his NHL career? He has consistently been a .5ppg scorer or above from his rookie season. The Rangers should try to sign him to a 3 year deal. That gives him some security and gives the team flexibility.

Whiskers*

Yes that is below average for a player that some of you are ready to hand a 5-6 deal? Their is no way this guy deserves a long term deal? Are you really ready to give him 4-5 million a year? Hags is a very important piece that your not paying 4-5 millio for being average. Hags is a 3rd line guy that plays his role well. Zucc is a average NHL player and that's it.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yes that is below average for a player that some of you are ready to hand a 5-6 deal? Their is no way this guy deserves a long term deal? Are you really ready to give him 4-5 million a year? Hags is a very important piece that your not paying 4-5 millio for being average. Hags is a 3rd line guy that plays his role well. Zucc is a average NHL player and that's it.

Zooks point production (104 points in his first 168 games) has not been below average. People on message boards do not give out contracts so it's ridiculous for you to try to qualify Zooks as a player based on what fans say he should get for a contract. His contact terms will be determined by nhl professionals not posters on this board.

Whiskers*

Really, I had no idea that's how it works? I thought we had a say!! He does not deserve a long term contract with 70 points in 120 regular season games. No way!!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Really, I had no idea that's how it works? I thought we had a say!! He does not deserve a long term contract with 70 points in 120 regular season games. No way!!

Do you think that if you keep repeating that Zooks only has 70 points in 120 regular season games that will some how make it true despite me already telling you twice that he actually has 104 points in 168 regular season games? Are you trying to convince yourself or others that is true?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I like Zucc.. great guy and personality, but this year he's going up against top pair or top 4 D every shift unlike last year and he hasn't been as effective.

He just had a great game, but that level of consistency isn't there. I do think he's the odd man out, and that's going to be a cap issue to bring him back. Remember he will get a lot as UFA... 5+ probably.

Rangers need to re-sign MSL, Step, Hags, and Staal. That money is coming from somewhere.

Rangers also look like they a have a need for another center and defenseman this season, so if Zucc isn't lighting it up, he can become a trade chip.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I like Zucc.. great guy and personality, but this year he's going up against top pair or top 4 D every shift unlike last year and he hasn't been as effective.

He just had a great game, but that level of consistency isn't there. I do think he's the odd man out, and that's going to be a cap issue to bring him back. Remember he will get a lot as UFA... 5+ probably.

Rangers need to re-sign MSL, Step, Hags, and Staal. That money is coming from somewhere.

Rangers also look like they a have a need for another center and defenseman this season, so if Zucc isn't lighting it up, he can become a trade chip.

MSL could retire (or at least sign one year deals ala Jagr with reasonable money), and there's no guarantee Staal returns (so inconsistent nowadays, may want 6 mil +, and Rangers like Brady Skjei to eventually replace his spot).

So, there's a chance Zucc comes back, and even if he doesn't do as well as he did last season, then it bolds well for his new contract (wouldn't be as expensive).

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Hopefully his 2 goals tonight will get him going. Good for him. Two beauties.

Pistachio

I love your mother
Sep 10, 2013
I don't get why people are picking on Zuccarello. He'll get his groove back.

If you should pick on anyone it's Hagelin imho. People are expecting so much from Zucc after last year. Give him some slack.

Besides, Zucc is so marketable. I don't think Sather will trade him, even if he has a bad year. Talking about business, I believe Zucc has one of the most popular jerseys on the teams in sales. Lundquist, Nash and Zuccarello. In terms of a players marketability off the ice - not accounting for on ice performance - only Lundquists beautiful face is more marketable than Zuccarello's personality either. People just like him, even if they don't want to like him. That means $$$ if you use him right - which they are doing this year off the ice.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don't get why people are picking on Zuccarello. He'll get his groove back.

If you should pick on anyone it's Hagelin imho. People are expecting so much from Zucc after last year. Give him some slack.

Besides, Zucc is so marketable. I don't think Sather will trade him, even if he has a bad year. Talking about business, I believe Zucc has one of the most popular jerseys on the teams in sales. Lundquist, Nash and Zuccarello. In terms of a players marketability off the ice - not accounting for on ice performance - only Lundquists beautiful face is more marketable than Zuccarello's personality either. People just like him, even if they don't want to like him. That means $$$ if you use him right - which they are doing this year off the ice.

Ironically he is now on pace for 20 goals over 82 games. Its his assists that dropped off from the PP. I think he is 3rd on the team in even strength goals.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo

Zucc should be a higher priority than both Hags and Staal and if any have to been let go of it gotta be Staal especially if he doesn't pick up his game significantly.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Zuke's stepdad confirms to norwegian media that zuke has never had the mumps, considering how close he is to Brass both on the ice and off I wouldn't be surpriced if zuke is hit with the mumps soon...

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Zuke's stepdad confirms to norwegian media that zuke has never had the mumps, considering how close he is to Brass both on the ice and off I wouldn't be surpriced if zuke is hit with the mumps soon...

He should be safe. Vaccine against mumps has been a part of the vaccine program for children in Norway since 1983. Unless his parents were "vaccine-opponents" (which sadly seems to be an issue in Norway today), Zucc should be immune against mumps. I guess there is a slight theoretical chance that he still can get it, but I would be surprised if he gets it if he has had his vaccines.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011

I see that a lot of people think this. I am not so sure. He would most definetely have got that if he was a UFA after last season. But now the other teams also see his struggle to stay consistent, and IMO his value as of today has dropped. But there is still 2/3 left of the season, som a lot can happen. And now with a 3 game point streak with 4 points might just be the start of something.

Btw, after failing two years in a row to make a long term with the team, I am pretty sure he sees the length of the contract as his main priority.
4 or 5 years @ $4M should be a good deal for both parts. He might even take less than this.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
He should be safe. Vaccine against mumps has been a part of the vaccine program for children in Norway since 1983. Unless his parents were "vaccine-opponents" (which sadly seems to be an issue in Norway today), Zucc should be immune against mumps. I guess there is a slight theoretical chance that he still can get it, but I would be surprised if he gets it if he has had his vaccines.

Those vaccines may not be effective against the strain going around the league, players have still gotten it despite being vaccinated as a child. Let's hope Zucc being youngish helps him, it's a crapshoot tho...fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad