Value of: Matheson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
This Matheson guy plays good offense and he's bad at defense

Skater | HockeyStatCards.com

Basically Matheson has same negative defensive rating as Mr. Tyson Berrie.

The acquiring team better be looking to fill a puck moving, PP2 type QB spot. And have a number of good RHD defensive defenders to play with Mathewson to protect Mike from how poor he is in his own zone.

The fact your posted this several hours ago and no one has written anything in response is about what I expected. I do not believe you'll find much interest in this player league wide.

What he does well vs what playoff level teams need and have on their rosters feels like a difficult match. ie. I don't think there are many or maybe any.

I'm not discounting that Matheson can skate and move a puck. Mike can and he's good at it. But would you ever want Matheson on the ice in a playoff OT game vs a good forechecking team that wants to cycle you to death? No you do not. And I just described most of the NHL playoff teams.

Here is Johnathan Kovacevic. A 6'5 big RHD making much less money.

I think the Kovacevic guy has more value in a TDL move due to what teams tend to value and desire in playoff defender vs what Matheson brings. That is just my opinion, but I bet others share it.

FYI. Kovacevic's AAV is $766k and he's expiring this summer

Matheson makes $4.875MM and you're stuck with him for another two years after this one so you better have long term cap space for him... and does any playoff team have much of that? Nope.

So in conclusion. I don't believe Matheson has much value (very few suitors) and I do think Kovacevic will be much easier to trade and probably net you more in return.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
As a Habs fan, I have a love/hate relationship with Matheson lol

He's amazing with the puck, skate fast, excellent ice vision, excellent passer, but he can't receive a pass and when you're the QB, that's a problem
People who were bitching because of Subban's turnovers a couple years ago must be dying of a heart attack right now

I'd play him 100% of the time with Savard, to cover him

I think his contract is fine, but yeah, Matheson comes with both huge positives but also huge negatives

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I would trade Matheson before Savard. With Wifi playing well and Hutson here shortly we getting stacked on left side. Plus Matheson should fetch a bundle.
Literally zero other fan bases on this thread suggesting value or desire to acquire him. Unless if by bundle you mean a bundle of sticks and a couple of pucks.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

The acquiring team better be looking to fill a puck moving, PP2 type QB spot. And have a number of good RHD defensive defenders to play with Mathewson to protect Mike from how poor he is in his own zone.

The fact your posted this several hours ago and no one has written anything in response is about what I expected. I do not believe you'll find much interest in this player league wide.

What he does well vs what playoff level teams need and have on their rosters feels like a difficult match. ie. I don't think there are many or maybe any.

I'm not discounting that Matheson can skate and move a puck. Mike can and he's good at it. But would you ever want Matheson on the ice in a playoff OT game vs a good forechecking team that wants to cycle you to death? No you do not. And I just described most of the NHL playoff teams.

I think the Kovacevic guy has more value in a TDL move due to what teams tend to value and desire in playoff defender vs what Matheson brings. That is just my opinion, but I bet others share it.

Matheson makes $4.875MM and you're stuck with him for another two years after this one so you better have long term cap space for him... and does any playoff team have much of that? Nope.

So in conclusion. I don't believe Matheson has much value (very few suitors) and I do think Kovacevic will be much easier to trade and probably net you more in return.

Oouff. This might be up there with one of the worst takes of the year...

That conclusion is laughably bad.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

Lol

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I would trade Matheson before Savard. With Wifi playing well and Hutson here shortly we getting stacked on left side. Plus Matheson should fetch a bundle.
I can appreciate that rationale. While I don't think Wifi will be an offensive juggernaut, Hutson, Mailloux, and Reinbacher give us three potentially strong offensive d-men. Having Savard around as a stay-at-home player to cover for one of them does make sense.

His M-NTC, with an 8-team no trade list, in conjunction with my earlier post, means he's all the more likely here to stay. Certainly up to the last year at least.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Oouff. This might be up there with one of the worst takes of the year...

That conclusion is laughably bad.
It's laughably bad you guys think Matheson would be in high demand league wide as a trade candidate that would "fetch a bundle".

But this is the same Habs fan base that assured us Petry was incredibly valuable. And you traded ole Jeff away for pretty much nothing in return and that nothing you got back for Petry was still a great trade for the Habs in hindsight.

And here is Matheson's game score from last night... As usual, the worst defensive player on the ice for Montreal = Mike Matheson.

• Haha
Reactions: The Great Weal

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Worth more to Montreal than what he’d fetch in a trade. Yeah he gets caved in but that allows them to shelter the kids a bit more as they develop

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You realize that in a full day now since OP posted this... not one fan from another team has indicated interest or a trade proposal for Matheson.

Zero. And you know why... because not one fan on HF sees Matheson, that contract and says... He is what my team is missing and needs.

Simple econ lesson for Habs fans. Supply needs demand.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's laughably bad you guys think Matheson would be in high demand league wide as a trade candidate that would "fetch a bundle".

But this is the same Habs fan base that assured us Petry was incredibly valuable. And you traded ole Jeff away for pretty much nothing in return and that nothing you got back for Petry was still a great trade for the Habs in hindsight.

And here is Matheson's game score from last night... As usual, the worst defensive player on the ice for Montreal = Mike Matheson.

Not sure which take is worse...

The misunderstanding of statistics & poor grasp of hockey evident by your take on Matheson

Or

The absolutely cluessless assumption that the large Habs fan base shares any player opinion or evaluation unanimously :lol:

Impressive to be able to fit two takes that clueless in one post... Bravo

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I can appreciate that rationale. While I don't think Wifi will be an offensive juggernaut, Hutson, Mailloux, and Reinbacher give us three potentially strong offensive d-men. Having Savard around as a stay-at-home player to cover for one of them does make sense.

His M-NTC, with an 8-team no trade list, in conjunction with my earlier post, means he's all the more likely here to stay. Certainly up to the last year at least.
I would need to be blown away but I would move Matheson. It would take a first pick and young top 6 forward. His 4.8 caphit I can add another piece in summer.

Savard harder to move him. He's right shot, pairs well with Xhekaj and won't return what Matheson would. Savard return likely max out around first pick. He has more value to us than that.

• Wow
Reactions: ElPrimeTime

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
The issue with trading Matheson is finding a playoff team lacking a puck moving defenseman. The best fit might be Tampa, with the Sergachev injury, but, even then, I'm not sure they have the assets the Habs would want in return.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

I think Matheson return at least a 1st

He's not a perfect dman by any means but he's excellent at what he does

It's easy to imagine a playoff team with an injured top 4 dman paying a Ransom to get him, especially with retention

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think Matheson return at least a 1st

He's not a perfect dman by any means but he's excellent at what he does

It's easy to imagine a playoff team with an injured top 4 dman paying a Ransom to get him, especially with retention
There would be others, that are under performing, that I would prefer to use a retention slot on.

I would need to be blown away but I would move Matheson. It would take a first pick and young top 6 forward. His 4.8 caphit I can add another piece in summer.

Savard harder to move him. He's right shot, pairs well with Xhekaj and won't return what Matheson would. Savard return likely max out around first pick. He has more value to us than that.
I wouldn't trade either without an overpay, honestly.

A first for Savard would be slightly less than what we got for Chiarot. I'm not sure we can convince someone to pay that sort of price again OR that there would be as clear a bidding war as there was. We'll see if injuries ramp up in the next two weeks.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Devils maybe?
If the Devils are smart they’ll look at this year as a lost cause and retool in the offseason.

They’ve been crushed with injuries and need a goalie very badly. If they’re moving big assets for anything, they should be trying to get Ullmark or Swayman. They’re very young and very good though.

Reactions: Bone Density

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad