Matheson punches Pettersson in the head from behind, body slams him to the ice. Pettersson concussed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Idiotic comment! What if that was Gretzky coming in to the league?, the Candians here would have gotten the hizzy fits.. And Im sure Gretzkys neck wasnt a log at that age or ever either.
Hockey probably isn’t a game for you if you take issue with that play. It’s common practice, only difference being that this time it involves a 160lb boy.

If you’re soft, this game isn’t for you. May I suggest tennis?

Reactions: newfy

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Not saying I approve of the play but this strong arm move has been and is still allowed/tolerated by the league. There has never been a campaign to eliminate it from the game. On the contrary it is usually celebrated as a show of strength by an NHL defenseman. This incident shows what can happen with it. How much punishment can you give a player for doing something dangerous that the league has repeatedly turned a blind eye to in the past?

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Hockey probably isn’t a game for you if you take issue with that play. It’s common practice, only difference being that this time it involves a 160lb boy.

Do you have a lot of clips of players being body slammed while off balance from a hit?

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017

You are saying hockey wasnt for Gretzky then? ..

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I know who Semenko was (He has passed away now). He sacrifced his brains and life for Gretzkys well beeing on the ice. The times have changed. There are other non strong yet skilled players like Gaudreau and Kane and noone is complaing on them to "get stronger, to weak" if they get hit dirty.
They're also not getting tossed down like children. Looking at the slow motion, he must have taken a bit of the elbow up high, because I have literally never seen an NHL caliber player get choke slammed off his skates like that. Usually even if a guy doesn't kill it in the weight room, he's strong on his skates.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed, freak accident, no one can forsee slamming someone head first towards the ice will lead to a concussion.

Id go as far as staying its a strong hockey play.

You'll have to show me the link to the "head first" angle. Maybe it's the same one where Matheson slewfoots Pettersson, because that isn't found in the angle that I see either.

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
You'll have to show me the link to the "head first" angle. Maybe it's the same one where Matheson slewfoots Pettersson, because it isn't found in the angle that I see either.

LOL. There was no "slewfoot".

At all.

He crunched the kid into the boards from the side, with his arms only, then threw him down. Not even a dirty play.

Jesus.

Reactions: newfy

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Do you have a lot of clips of players being body slammed while off balance from a hit?
Yeah, there was a series called ‘rock ‘em sock ‘em’ with about 50 volumes. You can start there.
You are saying hockey wasnt for Gretzky then? ..
Are you saying Gretzky cried about the physicality? If so, I never heard it.

It’s usually the most casual fans who seem to cry about the non issues. Go figure.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Yeah, there was a series called ‘rock ‘em sock ‘em’ with about 50 volumes. You can start there.

Are you saying Gretzky cried about the physicality?

It’s usually the most casual fans who seem to cry about the non issues. Go figure.
Well Pettersson is 10-times more brave than Gretzky who needed Semenko and the rest of the team to baby-sit and protect him so that he could get his points then.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Awesome. Only getting 2 minutes at most for an almost guaranteed concussion on a star player will be a very nice weapon to use in the playoffs. The size of the player you cheap shot isn't that important. You just check them into the boards, sweep them off their skates and body slams them head first into the ice. If you get really good at it you might even break the opponent's neck. That would result in some easy playoff series, leaving Crosby and Malkin on stretchers. Extra lucky if the opponent looses the helmet.

Matheson wouldn’t be able to slam Crosby or Malkin like that. That’s what I’m saying. When you’re a small kid it’s easy to get tossed around. Matheson probably hit him like he hits everyone and pettersson got man handled so bad because he’s so little

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Matheson wouldn’t be able to slam Crosby or Malkin like that. That’s what I’m saying. When you’re a small kid it’s easy to get tossed around. Matheson probably hit him like he hits everyone and pettersson got man handled so bad because he’s so little
Yes you would, if you do it like Matheson did. You body check the opponent, put your stick between his legs, twist it with one hand and jerk the opponent backwards with the other arm. Then you throw them into the ice. I don't know many players who would stand upright after a cheap move like that. You try standing up on skates if someone pulls you backwards, while sweeping your skates off balance with the stick between your legs. And to top it off, does an extra push when you're already falling.

It doesn't matter how much you weigh or how strong you are, if you can't keep your balance. That's not a hockey play and I cannot fathom how anyone can be ok with this cheap shot move by Matheson. He obviously made it in great affect, because Pettersson was making him look silly.

Some might argue it's more of a tripping call than a slew foot, but the technicalities don't matter, you could still be suspended for it and technically, he did still sweep Pettersson's skates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luc Labelle

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
You'll have to show me the link to the "head first" angle. Maybe it's the same one where Matheson slewfoots Pettersson, because it isn't found in the angle that I see either.

No you right, he defintly about to land feet first and then EP do this weird twisting motion make himself fall 150 degree angel, leasing with his head and shoulders, must be sponsored like his fellow country man in Rangers.

C866A8A1-ACB9-4A86-BDB0-D2872EEAFBAD.png

F3806362-BEBE-4278-A6FD-E0E4E8CDF670.png

Last edited:

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
No you right, he defintly about to land feet first and then EP do this weird twisting motion make himself fall 150 degree angel, leasing with his head and shoulders, must be sponsored like his fellow country man in Rangers.
What is it you think you see here? EP's feet got swept up from the force of the hit, Matheson then body slammed him - from the chest - to the ice. There's no slewfoot, there's no head contact, he didn't drive his head to the ice. There's a hard hit and when EP was off-balance he got slammed to the ice.

Only thing I see is a roughing penalty for the slam.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Was a decent hit. Matheson just had all the leverage in that hit.

The extra throw down/body slam was completely uncalled for. I didn’t watch the game, but that’s definitely a penalty. If the NHL is really trying to get rid of this stuff, maybe a suspension could be upheld, but a fine would be the proper causality.

Hope EP gets better soon. This is just horrible for VAN fans. One would expect legal retribution.

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
A slewfoot in itself could result in a game misconduct and suspension. Now add the extra push when the opponent is already falling. Let me guess, you're one of those "normal hockey play" guys? Watch Matheson's stick between Pettersson's legs. He didn't manhandle him, he cheap shotted him.
Point out the slewfoot. Do you know what one is? Matheson's feet never even come in contact with EP's!

A smaller player got hit hard and lost his footing, then got slammed to the ice. No slewfoot, no head contact, roughing penalty is probably called for but nothing more. Unfortunate result for EP, I hope he's fine, but people have got to be joking with this slewfoot talk.

Reactions: SML2

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
A slewfoot in itself could result in a game misconduct and suspension. Now add the extra push when the opponent is already falling. Let me guess, you're one of those "normal hockey play" guys? Watch Matheson's stick between Pettersson's legs. He didn't manhandle him, he cheap shotted him.

A stick between the legs isn't a slewfoot. A slewfoot is when a player uses their leg, to make contact with the back of an opponents leg, usually the knee area, to make the leg buckle and the player to fall. A slewfoot can cause injury. A stick between a players legs as the player is body checking them isn't a slewfoot. It's more of a can opener. He went in for the hit, the stick went between the legs, he hit him against the boards cleanly, and then threw him to the ground, which arguably could be a roughing minor, or maybe you can call a tripping minor for the can opener, but that didn't affect anything.

There will be 0 discipline, let alone 10 games lol

It's unfortunate EP got hurt, but there's nothing suspendable there. Would I bet upset if Marner got hurt in a similar way? Yeah, but loads of fans would be telling Leaf fans to shut up and it was fine if it was Marner instead of EP.

Reactions: Homesick

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Hockey is a rough game. If he can’t take Matheson roughing him up a little, he’ll never last in the league long term.

As he becomes better and more effective, his stock will rise and the target will only grow.

Get used to it, or find another league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad