Mason Raymond

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ace88*

For all the flack hes taken Raymond has scored some seriously clutch goals. Youd think this fanbase would be more appreciative of that.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Honestly... what's so wrong with Raymond's defensive play?

As for inconsistency, Raymond isn't going to cost the $4m+ that consistent 20 goal guys get.

Hits ....he does not do hits....soft as butter. Does not getting in shooting lanes when defending and is often flying the zone long before we establish possession. Other then that he is fine defensively.

He is either selfish or lacks vision on the ice.....I go with selfish as he passes the puck like a child gives up candy! At 1m a season he has lots of value at 2M he is a good deal at 3M he is a waste of Salary cap. I think he is going to want at least 3M and term....so good bye. We can get a better player for the same value as a FA.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If there's a way you can get him cheap, then sign him up.

However, it seems as though he and Kulemin are challenging for the same lineup spot.

In which case, it's Kulie >>>> Raymond every day of the week.

I'd like to see the Leafs hold onto both of them - just not sure that's reasonable at this point.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
If there's a way you can get him cheap, then sign him up.

However, it seems as though he and Kulemin are challenging for the same lineup spot.

In which case, it's Kulie >>>> Raymond every day of the week.

I'd like to see the Leafs hold onto both of them - just not sure that's reasonable at this point.

Realistically if you could fit both then you do it. Our forward depth is great this year, might have to lose a couple guys next year though. Theres no one on the Marlies as good or close to Raymond IMO.

Strategy

Sep 8, 2013
We can fit both Kulie and Raymond if we trade Clarkson, which IMO is fair to do. Kulie will get a slight raise and Raymond will probably get 3.5~ short term, which is fine

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Time will tell whether Raymond is worth signing.

Good playoffs will mean a lot to him.

With players like Downie, Setoguchi, Jokinen, Callahan, Moulson and Vrbata entering UFA, there's plenty of opportunity to sign someone with as much or more skill than Raymond.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I really don't like Raymond. He is a turn over machine. I've seen him fail to get the puck deep and turn over the puck dozens of times this year due to his greedy play. I won't miss him but he's been worth the 1m.

TBH Lupul is worse at this than Raymond. How many times has he tried to force a fancy stick play and turned it over at all ends of the ice?

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Raymond has been great for us this year.

If only we could keep him....somehow I think he will price himself out of our range, but we'll see.

He doesn't seem to mesh too well with the 2nd line, but if we could keep him around on the 3rd for tertiary scoring, that would be fantastic.

To me though, Kulemin is a bigger priority (for his defensive play), as is Bolland (position).

If it wasn't for the Clarkson contract, I would say keep him around for sure.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Kessel, Lupul, Kadri all give the puck away more than Raymonds 38. JVR has 36. Kessel has an astounding 79.

For a second/third line guy, maybe that's high (Kulemin only has 15) but not the end of the world.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-giveaways-statistic/2013/

It's more how he turns it over. He'll be playing on a line with two talented players in Nazem Kadri and Joffrey Lupul, and choose to lug the puck into the zone and play hog instead of using his linemates.

For once, I actually agree with everyone's favorite poster Interactive when he used to call him "Mason Blake" or Jason or something a long those lines. Raymond loves to pull the Jason Blake, put his blinders on and think about his own production, always shoot before pass, possess the puck before passing, do anything instead of passing..etc

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
It's more how he turns it over. He'll be playing on a line with two talented players in Nazem Kadri and Joffrey Lupul, and choose to lug the puck into the zone and play hog instead of using his linemates.

For once, I actually agree with everyone's favorite poster Interactive when he used to call him "Mason Blake" or Jason or something a long those lines. Raymond loves to pull the Jason Blake, put his blinders on and think about his own production, always shoot before pass, possess the puck before passing, do anything instead of passing..etc

I don't think Raymond ignores his linesmates, at least not that I've noticed. There's a difference between ignoring your linemates and not having the option of using your linemates. Raymond is often the first one into the zone carrying the puck and a lot of times he stops up along the boards and spins (which I assume is him trying to get a look at his options). He definitely takes weak shots on net but I've never noticed a trend of where he does this when he could have easily passed the puck.

It's not like his talented linemates in Kadri and Lupul aren't guilty of being puck hogs at times as well. Both of them have been guilty of trying to take the puck into the zone and try to dance around two players right up the middle of the ice only to have the puck stripped and going back the other way. In one instance, it' results in a loss of puck possession. In the other instance it results in a rebound or a face off in the offensive zone. Raymond's bad angle shots don't seem like such a bad call.

Again, maybe I'm just not noticing the whole picture but it doesn't stand out to me - not like a Grabovski where he has his linmates stopped up in the zone and waiting while he skates around the net and then takes a shot on net at the goal line.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Mason has 4 GWG tied for 2nd on the team, his "talented linemates" have 1 each.

Yes he sometimes tries to do it all by himself, but he DOES pass, and he's pretty good at it too. I'm much more confident in him carrying the puck\ and or creating a scoring chance with a pass, than Lupul, whom is more of a one man show, and seemingly always tries to deke 4 defenders… unsuccessfully.

I was Raymonds biggest critic, but he's grown on me, and has now long surpassed Clarkson, and recently surpassed Lupul, on my effectiveness chart, and I was one of those posters saying Lupul should be captain last season.

Yes maybe Lupul will wake up, and re-establish himself as a top forward in this lineup, but at this moment, for the majority of this season, Raymond has been the better player. Raymond is one of the few players in our lineup, who should be praised regularly by our fans, for his good contract, consistency, and for being 1 of 3 forwards (whom have played more than 35 games) who are actually in the positive for +-.

hackamore

Jul 8, 2011
Mason has 4 GWG tied for 2nd on the team, his "talented linemates" have 1 each.

Yes he sometimes tries to do it all by himself, but he DOES pass, and he's pretty good at it too. I'm much more confident in him carrying the puck\ and or creating a scoring chance with a pass, than Lupul, whom is more of a one man show, and seemingly always tries to deke 4 defenders… unsuccessfully.

I was Raymonds biggest critic, but he's grown on me, and has now long surpassed Clarkson, and recently surpassed Lupul, on my effectiveness chart, and I was one of those posters saying Lupul should be captain last season.

Yes maybe Lupul will wake up, and re-establish himself as a top forward in this lineup, but at this moment, for the majority of this season, Raymond has been the better player. Raymond is one of the few players in our lineup, who should be praised regularly by our fans, for his good contract, consistency, and for being 1 of 3 forwards (whom have played more than 35 games) who are actually in the positive for +-.
Nice comment on Raymond's play this season

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't believe the club will pay what his FA market value will be. Obviously worth his tiny contract this season but he is wrapping up the second best year of his career and won't be available for a discount again. Time to give the kids a chance in the bottom 6.

Marian Gaborik

Sep 20, 2005
He's played well given the amount he makes this season. One can assume that he's going to ask for hefty raise, at which point the Leafs should let him walk.

The Leafs had Mac at a bargain and got Raymond cheap, find someone else to fill that roll at a discounted price.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
Kessel, Lupul, Kadri all give the puck away more than Raymonds 38. JVR has 36. Kessel has an astounding 79.

For a second/third line guy, maybe that's high (Kulemin only has 15) but not the end of the world.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-giveaways-statistic/2013/
Kessel has the puck on his stick more than anybody on the team and he is also the biggest playmaker. There's a reason Malkin and Crosby are the #1 and #2 giveaway players in Pittsburgh, Getzlaf and Perry are #1 and #2 in Anaheim, etc.

I don't think overall giveaways is a good way of determining who hurts the team most with giveaways, as funny as that sounds. A Cody Franson giveaway in the defensive zone is not equal to a Phil Kessel giveaway in the offensive zone when he's trying to thread the needle.

Giveaways are more about timing than overall quantity.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I don't believe the club will pay what his FA market value will be. Obviously worth his tiny contract this season but he is wrapping up the second best year of his career and won't be available for a discount again. Time to give the kids a chance in the bottom 6.

i agree completely. the leafs have quiet a few players locked up long term (8) and a few rfa who are not going anywhere. it doesnt leave many opportunities to promote from within. we might not have a lot of top end talent but i think we are rich with heart and soul character type bottom 6 guys. they should be given a shot.

players locked up over 3 years + key rfas:

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-xxxxxx
xxxxx-xxxxx-clarkson
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

phaneuf-gunnarson
rielly-gleason
xxxxx-xxxxx

bernier
xxxxxx

i dont see a reason to extend raymond despite what he has done for us this season. based on the above template we need someone who can play with lupul and kadri. imo we either resign kulemin or someone better then kulemin to play with them. if we are paying $4 million or more for a 2nd line winger i dont see how we can pay $3 million for raymond. at that point i think nonis/carlyle try one of ashton/damigo/leivo with holland and clarkson.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
For all the flack hes taken Raymond has scored some seriously clutch goals. Youd think this fanbase would be more appreciative of that.

He's a turn over machine, his give away's match Kessel and Lupul. Of course at 1 million it's easier to digest.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think he is too soft, and I still don't like him. But given Clarkson's complete no show this year, and Lupul's play of late. He doesn't deserve the flak he gets, which I have been guilty of this year too. At 1M per, its hard to complain about his play.

mikebel111*

I think he is too soft, and I still don't like him. But given Clarkson's complete no show this year, and Lupul's play of late. He doesn't deserve the flak he gets, which I have been guilty of this year too. At 1M per, its hard to complain about his play.

We have both been hard on him. But hey atleast he has scored more than jason grabo when they were here

I only bring him back if he comes cheap

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
Raymond is MacArthur 2.0 (I preferred Clarke). He will price himself out of town. At a million, fine. At 3 million? See ya

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
agree with that. it was what some canucks fans on here were saying that was a concern. if we resign him, it should only be 1 year contracts.

Tml1489

Jun 28, 2013
Richmond Hill
I apologize in advance if it already has been discussed but I didn't see a recent thread about it so...

Mason Raymond is clearly going to be more than the $1 mil we currently have him for.

With 76 GP 19G 25A for 44P, do you guys want to keep him or let him walk? And if we're keeping him, what's your ideal salary.

I'd love to sign him for 3 years at 2.75 mil but realistically I think he'll be trying for 3.5-4 per season.

Thoughts? At what price is too much?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad