Martin Brodeur or Henrik Lundqvist?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who had the better peak and career?

• Brodeur peak and career

Votes: 29 96.7%
  • Brodeur peak, Lundqvist career

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lundqvist peak and career

• Lundqvist peak, Brodeur career

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Cant decide

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'll take Lundqvist for a peak because he was consistently great for longer whereas Brodeur has two shorter and separate peaks, but looking at their trophy cabinets the career argument can only go one way.

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Lundqvist played on much weaker teams whereas Brodeur had prime Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski in front of him.
Brodeur won 2 Vezina trophies without Niedermayer and Stevens. He was runner-up once.

I'll take Lundqvist for a peak because he was consistently great for longer whereas Brodeur has two shorter and separate peaks, but looking at their trophy cabinets the career argument can only go one way.
Brodeur finished 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st in Vezina voting in the NHL seasons 02-08. Precious few goaltenders can compete with that peak, and one of them is certainly not Lundqvist, who has 7 top 5 Vezina finishes in his career.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Brodeur finished 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st in Vezina voting in the NHL seasons 02-08. Precious few goaltenders can compete with that peak, and one of them is certainly not Lundqvist, who has 7 top 5 Vezina finishes in his career.
Another question is whether he deserved to. Obviously Brodeur was one of the best goalies in the league, but also one of the most overrated for a good while.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Another question is whether he deserved to. Obviously Brodeur was one of the best goalies in the league, but also one of the most overrated for a good while.
It’s odd that you think your rating of player excellence is more correct and relevant than the NHL GMs that cast those Vezina votes.

Like, the Vezina isn’t even a media or fan award. It’s voted on by GM’s. Saying you know better than they do what rating level he merits is a hell of a thing.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Let's say he didn't deserve to win half of those Vezina trophies. That would have put him at, what, 2 Vezina trophies and 2-3 top 3 finishes in voting in 5 years? That's still something that blows Lundqvist's peak out of the water. Unless you're saying that he didn't deserve to win any of those Vezina trophies, in which case he still have 5 straight top 5 finishes in Vezina voting over that period, which is STILL better than any 5 year period for Lundqvist.

It’s odd that you think your rating of player excellence is more correct and relevant than the NHL GMs that cast those Vezina votes.

Like, the Vezina isn’t even a media or fan award. It’s voted on by GM’s. Saying you know better than they do what rating level he merits is a hell of a thing.
Brodeur was also very high in Hart trophy voting consistently (and thus, obviously also All-Star team voting, since that's also voted on by the PHWA).

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Like, the Vezina isn’t even a media or fan award. It’s voted on by GM’s. Saying you know better than they do what eating level he merits is a hell of a thing.
Argumentum ab auctoritate. The GMs also gave the trophy to Jim Carey over peak Dominik Hašek.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
This may be unpopular but I'd say their peaks are very similar in all honesty. I don't think any of Brodeur's Vezina seasons are all too much better than Lundqvist's peak seasons if you take their supporting casts into consideration. Even so, Brodeur is just far more battle-tested/accomplished (especially in the playoffs) to try and argue Lundqvist as the better goalie even if you take team dynamics out of the equation.

I obviously have Brodeur for Career, but it's a tie for peak. If I had to choose between the two for 3-5 season stretch, I'd definitely consider Lundqvist.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
1727803873329.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad