Value of: Marner's Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Always funny to look at the actual stats.

Marner is a 1.11 Point Per Game Player in the Regular season, thats 1st among current TML's and 10th among Active NHL players

Marner is a .88 Point Per Game Player in the PLAYOFFS, THATS 1ST AMONG CURRENT TML'S.............

Marner is 2nd on the TML's in TOI per game played in the playoffs. Morgan Reilly is first

Marner is 2nd in +/- to Morgan Reilly in the playoffs

I hope Toronto lets this dude hit UFA.

Would love to see him playing on the Blues.

Reactions: Fatass

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007

Marner is a 1.11 Point Per Game Player in the Regular season, thats 1st among current TML's and 10th among Active NHL players

Marner is a .88 Point Per Game Player in the PLAYOFFS, THATS 1ST AMONG CURRENT TML'S.............

Marner is 2nd on the TML's in TOI per game played in the playoffs. Morgan Reilly is first

People know Marner is good, the problem is Matthews is better and Nylander is just as good, and we've paid big players WAY too much money which affects our ability to develop a deep roster. Leafs fans are done with the idea of 3 players making $10+ million per year, and we know Marner is going to ask for an increase. We need to use the money to fill the gaps we currently have.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Marner is a complete player and superstar. He does it all at the highest level. On July 1, 2025 there will be clubs lining up to pay him 13 x 7.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Marner is a complete player and superstar. He does it all at the highest level. On July 1, 2025 there will be clubs lining up to pay him 13 x 7.
Marner had no business getting the contract he did 11x6 as a pre arbitration RFA winger. That was the problem in TO. Dubas should have used his leverage more on Nylander, Matthews, and Marner, to either get more term, or lower the AAV, or both in marners case.

Marner should have been on a 9.5x8.
Nylander on a 6x6 or a 7x7
Matthews on an 11.6x8

However, people have let that skew their perception on him. As a UFA, where you don't have to give up a single other asset besides cap space to get him, he's 100% worth 12 mill.

Leafs fans who have convinced themselves that losing a legit star for nothing in UFA is a win are fools.

People know Marner is good, the problem is Matthews is better and Nylander is just as good, and we've paid big players WAY too much money which affects our ability to develop a deep roster. Leafs fans are done with the idea of 3 players making $10+ million per year, and we know Marner is going to ask for an increase. We need to use the money to fill the gaps we currently have.
The problem is the marner sized gap that will be left when he leaves.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I feel like you could get Mitch with 2 ATVs, a boat, some jet skis, and free lululemon for life. Golf membership. Oakleys negotiable.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
It will be interesting to see how Marner and Matthews do under Berube.
As a Blues fan, I tend to get excited when the TML's start making trades or giving up on players. I learned to hate the TML's while growing up watching the old Norris Division clashes.....man that was the epic "Black and Blue" division.
Anyone remember that Tampa was in the Division their first season? That was a little weird.

When you look at the last 20 years of trades between the Blues and TML's
The Leaf's have given up: Steen, Cola, Gunnarson, Jokinen, Abramov, Gaudette, 2023 1st, 2023 3rd, 2024, 2nd, 2008 3rd, Borgman, and Soshkanov

They have received: Lee Stempniak, ROR, Accari, Kyle Clifford, Jamel Mayers, Roman Polak, Johnny Pohl, Schmaltz, J Lindstrom, a 4th 2019 and 6th in 2016

Toronto has one player left in their organization as a result of these trades, Nik Abruzzese.....thats it.

The player, they received in trades from St. Louis, that was the most productive for Toronto, Roman Polak, brought back a nice haul from San Jose, and Toronto used those picks to trade for F. Anderson and S Durzi.....and Toronto quickly traded Durzi.....

Its one cluster freak after another with Toronto.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
The problem is the marner sized gap that will be left when he leaves.
Agreed. It sucks, but I’d rather invest the money in players who can add some depth. The SDP did an evaluation of teams who pay their top-3 players and the leafs were the only ones who had 4 who made almost $45mil.

Our cap situation is garbage currently and these guys taking their pieces in the increased cap isn’t helping us.

Nobody is conservative enough and they all want their money.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

And this right here is why it's so important to actually watch games instead of staring at a stat sheet

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Offering a fair deal relative to his skill before the playoffs seems like a massive risk IMO.

What if he and the Leafs put on their best Houdini impression again in the playoffs? It would be a truly terrible situation.

And if he does show up - then worst case he walks but realistically I think he'd stay if the fans weren't hating on him.

So what's the upside of signing him before May? The downside is evident and far outweighs the potential up IMO. Just wait it out and see...

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Agreed. It sucks, but I’d rather invest the money in players who can add some depth. The SDP did an evaluation of teams who pay their top-3 players and the leafs were the only ones who had 4 who made almost $45mil.

Our cap situation is garbage currently and these guys taking their pieces in the increased cap isn’t helping us.

Nobody is conservative enough and they all want their money.
That SDPN analysis was surprisingly pretty informative. The one thing that wasn't mentioned in that though was the Leafs were the only team without a d-man amongst their top 4 salaries, and none of the other teams listed had 2 wingers included.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
And this right here is why it's so important to actually watch games instead of staring at a stat sheet
Agreed 100%. I remember breaking out the game 5-7 stats, and MM's PPG fell by 75%. Obviously, its not a huge sample size, and the entire team has struggled. The problem is that if you're making what MM's been making you need to be a difference maker, and he's come up short in those big situations.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021

He hasn’t been good enough in the playoffs. Stats don’t always tell you everything about a player.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I’d offer him $12m/yr on an 8y deal. Marginally more than Nylander as he does more, but they are very close so their contracts should be too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad