Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
We've all watched through some pretty dark times but for some reason this feels like the last straw for me. Maybe it's my age. I just can't make up a logical reason anymore why I should dedicate this amount of my life to a team that is not serious about the things I want them to be serious about.

I'd rather do something else with my life but it's hard to walk away with so much invested to date and I know IF we ever do win it'll be cathartic and nothing in my life will ever match that feeling.
If they not only run this thing back next season but actually re up Marner, I am in the same boat as you are. But I wouldn’t worry about them winning and missing it, because I can 100% guarantee you that they are not going to win the Stanley Cup with those 4 guys upfront.

Mark my words and bookmark this post.

I really want to believe that this is all lip service to try to entice other teams to make a trade offer for him. But I'm not 100% sold at this point.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
A ton, all you have to do is listen to Allan Walsh on agent provactour. Agents have a lot more power than people think. Agents also broker a ton of deals. He gives some examples of deals he helped broker when GM’s asked
I figured because thats the way my industry works with good agents.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Leading the third line and PP2 ?

he won't.

Berube is going to teach him dump and chase ?

He'll be a total shit show under the stress of playing out a year in Toronto while not being wanted.

The dude is NOT good under stress.

He's more likely on stress leave than 90 plus points.

Lol I can’t deal with the nonsense on this board. Marner is a professional athlete. He isn’t the first and won’t be the last to go through adversity. Just because you scream and shout what you believe to be true about him, doesn’t make it true.

Berube holding the whole group accountable will be good for them. If all our stars have a reduction in points but buy into North/South hockey and playing the right way that’s good for everyone. You can come on here and spout your trade Marner horse crap, all day everyday. But I’m going to live in reality. As of right now he’s a maple leaf. I do think Berube is going to change things and I honestly think the response from the core will be positive.

I don’t even think moving Mitch is a #1 priority for the management group.

It’s most likely #1 find a goaltender, 2 rebuild defense, if a Marner trade helps the team I believe that’s third.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I figured because thats the way my industry works with good agents.

I don’t know if NHL agents completely run the show like MLB and NBA agents but I’m sure there are heavy hitters who make moves.

MLB agents literally control free agency lol. They forced Albert Pujols to go to free agency and take a contract he didn’t want because they needed him to get paid so the next guys would get even more. It ended up killing his career at the end.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If they not only run this thing back next season but actually re up Marner, I am in the same boat as you are. But I wouldn’t worry about them winning and missing it, because I can 100% guarantee you that they are not going to win the Stanley Cup with those 4 guys upfront.

Mark my words and bookmark this post.

I really want to believe that this is all lip service to try to entice other teams to make a trade offer for him. But I'm not 100% sold at this point.
It’s the Leafs. Don’t believe for a second they will do anything different.
I expect 12.5 for Marner and then Tavares re-signed at 6.5. Basically reversing the Willy/Tavares salary structure and the same thing expecting different results. That’s how the Leafs operate.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
no, he's not ...he's just better trained on the mic, and has been giving the same BS answers since before he was drafted
He took less when he signed his 2nd contract in order to help build a stronger roster. He elevates players around him, Hyman for example. Those two things alone put him leaps and bounds ahead of our three. AND he holds himself accountable, so let's round that up to three things!

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yes there is. Disney on ice.
Sad but true, I’m on the verge of giving up on yhis train wreck, we’ll see what the near future holds………

Lol I can’t deal with the nonsense on this board. Marner is a professional athlete. He isn’t the first and won’t be the last to go through adversity. Just because you scream and shout what you believe to be true about him, doesn’t make it true.

Berube holding the whole group accountable will be good for them. If all our stars have a reduction in points but buy into North/South hockey and playing the right way that’s good for everyone. You can come on here and spout your trade Marner horse crap, all day everyday. But I’m going to live in reality. As of right now he’s a maple leaf. I do think Berube is going to change things and I honestly think the response from the core will be positive.

It’s most likely #1 find a goaltender, 2 rebuild defense, if a Marner trade helps the team I believe that’s third.
Lol, nice rant, without change, nothing changes. This fact cannot be denied……..

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He took less when he signed his 2nd contract in order to help build a stronger roster. He elevates players around him, Hyman for example. Those two things alone put him leaps and bounds ahead of our three. AND he holds himself accountable, so let's round that up to three things!

McDavid didn’t “take less” the cap percentage he negotiated was at a time where the cap was lower, which resulted in a lower contract and he extended for 8 years so his contract has stagnated while other players have expired within that 8 years. It’s just the way things have worked out.

Sad but true, I’m on the verge of giving up on yhis train wreck, we’ll see what the near future holds………

Lol, nice rant, without change, nothing changes. This fact cannot be denied……..

I’m all for change, but it doesn’t really matter what we say. Our opinion means Jack shit lol.

This management group has done nothing to convince me that change is on the way, except they are going to try a new coach. I’m a leafs fan through and through, I will love the team if Marner is there and I’ll love the team if he gets moved.

All I’m doing is providing an alternate thinking path. Not necessarily what I want to see happen.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I expect 12.5 for Marner and then Tavares re-signed at 6.5. Basically reversing the Willy/Tavares salary structure and the same thing expecting different results. That’s how the Leafs operate.
Don't worry Shanahan has this.... He's about to get no-nonsense with the core.

Reactions: Trapper

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Yup. And we are going to see them operate 1st or 2nd round max exits over the next 8 years if Marner is re upped.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
How is it dumb? He will get 90 plus points and go to UFA and get paid at minimum 11 million dollars. There is zero downside to any option for Marner. In fact he is sitting pretty and he’s in the best position if anyone in this situation.

If Marner chooses to come back it’s because he likes playing here, not to spite anyone. He may want that final season in Toronto before picking a new home and he is entitled to that contractually. He can ignore the noise for one year.

If he’s open to moving on now he will decide the location. He will decide whether he’s a one year rental or if he will sign long term. He controls the entire situation. I don’t really see a bad option for him objectively speaking.
Can he though. He goes into defensive posture pretty quickly at the slightest breeze of criticism as it is. A year of non stop questions around his contract, especially if/when he hits a tough patch in the season will be some must see tv. 70% polled so far on tsn do not want him extended? I mean, can he handle that sort of scrutiny?....Not many could.

It sounds like Berube wants to play dump and chase. That doesn't happen by bringing this core back. I mean either they're feeding us a huge line of poopy or changes are coming.
If Im honest, Im not sure which is true.

Reactions: supermann_98

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Way to killl my buzz man....:(

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Unless a shock trade happens in the next two ish weeks I'd say the odds of the extension option get skyrocketed to like 80-90%

It's the easiest and most risk averse move of a management group that's already extended 2/4 core forward guys could take.
Unless a shock trade happens in July I'd say the odds of allowing him to walk for nothing are higher than the Leafs extending him. I am of the belief they cannot run it back and if they do and lose in round #1, the odds of the Leafs resigning him are zero.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I don’t know if NHL agents completely run the show like MLB and NBA agents but I’m sure there are heavy hitters who make moves.

MLB agents literally control free agency lol. They forced Albert Pujols to go to free agency and take a contract he didn’t want because they needed him to get paid so the next guys would get even more. It ended up killing his career at the end.
Crazy, I never knew that.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

giphy.webp

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Unless a shock trade happens in July I'd say the odds of allowing him to walk for nothing are higher than the Leafs extending him. I am of the belief they cannot run it back and if they do and lose in round #1, the odds of the Leafs resigning him are zero.
Fear of making the moves other organizations have made in order to find the working formula is stronger here.
It’s Leafs purgatory. We aren’t winning but if we trade someone we might lose.
Marner and his agent will fear them into signing if they can’t move/trade the longer it goes.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Unless a shock trade happens in the next two ish weeks I'd say the odds of the extension option get skyrocketed to like 80-90%

It's the easiest and most risk averse move of a management group that's already extended 2/4 core forward guys could take.
You're probably right, it even feels like we're already in that 80-90% range. I would only say that extending Marner is risk averse in the sense that the risk of getting worse is minimal, but there's also little chance of getting any better (playoff success). And they may well be fine with that, I mean Pelley can say that they want to win, not just sell jerseys but that's what they all say so ...

Fear of making the moves other organizations have made in order to find the working formula is stronger here.
It’s Leafs purgatory. We aren’t winning but if we trade someone we might lose.
Marner and his agent will fear them into signing if they can’t move/trade the longer it goes.
Perfectly stated IMO.

And don't forget the "if we trade Marner, we can't win the trade" reasoning. It seems like our policy is don't rock the boat. Doesn't matter if we sink or swim, just don't rock that boat.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Sadly you might. Be right

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Can he though. He goes into defensive posture pretty quickly at the slightest breeze of criticism as it is. A year of non stop questions around his contract, especially if/when he hits a tough patch in the season will be some must see tv. 70% polled so far on tsn do not want him extended? I mean, can he handle that sort of scrutiny?....Not many could.

If Im honest, Im not sure which is true.

i honestly don't see how it would be different than any of the nonsense he's dealt with the last 3 seasons since Montreal, so I don't think it would affect him more.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00