Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
LOL for all the insight you pour on this website it’s crazy to me that you don’t understand the nuances of Marner’s contract.

1. He cannot sign a contract extension prior to July 1st.

2. He has a fcking NMC, Marner is gonna move when Marner is ready to move.

3. He has a huge bonus due on July 1st, no team is taking on his contract before that is paid by the leafs. Whoever gets him is looking forward to paying him less than $1,000,000 in real money for one season.

4. He carries a 10.9 cap hit, that deal is gonna take weeks or even months to sort out. It’s not NHL 24.

5. There’s a possibility the organization wants to keep him or maybe Berube wants to keep him.
You'd think a whiny bridge dweller that dedicates every day of his sad life to this site would at least understand the basics of Marner's contract.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
LOL for all the insight you pour on this website it’s crazy to me that you don’t understand the nuances of Marner’s contract.

3. He has a huge bonus due on July 1st, no team is taking on his contract before that is paid by the leafs. Whoever gets him is looking forward to paying him less than $1,000,000 in real money for one season.

4. He carries a 10.9 cap hit, that deal is gonna take weeks or even months to sort out. It’s not NHL 24.

5. There’s a possibility the organization wants to keep him or maybe Berube wants to keep him.

Not sure "insight" is the most accurate word but I commend you for taking the high road.

There's a difference between not knowing and not caring. You assume that in a Marner trade the team should be looking to maximize return. Most fans, including myself, just want him off the team.

This is about a culture shift, and if trading Marner tomorrow for future considerations gets it done, then I don't think they would have any trouble finding a trade partner.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I wonder if there is a single NHL GM who doesn't know that the Leafs might be seriously interested in trading Marner, and who also isn't aware of exactly how well he performs in the regular season, the playoffs, and media scrums.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If the table was turned i would have wanted to let go of Nylander. But it happens to be Marners turn. If he will play the year out as many(me included) think, just let him go. Dont even offer anything. Might seem childish, but it is the clubs right as much as it is Marners right to carry out his contract. No difference at all. Thank u for you time but no thanks.
We will get to playoffs without him and whoever they get instead. We can hope for a more balanced team. It is a gamble, but so is keeping Marner.

I understand he will have a hatrick against us everytime we would meet, and win a stanley, but that is just how the hockey goods created the hockey universe. Its written in the maple leafs.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
If the table was turned i would have wanted to let go of Nylander. But it happens to be Marners turn. If he will play the year out as many(me included) think, just let him go. Dont even offer anything. Might seem childish, but it is the clubs right as much as it is Marners right to carry out his contract. No difference at all. Thank u for you time but no thanks.
We will get to playoffs without him and whoever they get instead. We can hope for a more balanced team. It is a gamble, but so is keeping Marner.

I understand he will have a hatrick against us everytime we would meet, and win a stanley, but that is just how the hockey goods created the hockey universe. Its written in the maple leafs.
the biggest problem is marner wants term .if he gets 8 years ,itll be 3 years of tavaras like numbers ,no thanks

Reactions: ToneDog and ZEBROA

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Agree. Serious buyers only. We just have to hope there are a few interested teams and if you believe some of the insiders, there will be.
He’s not going to get the return people want.
Here’s the issue. If the Leafs “supposedly” listened to offers on Nylander and didn’t like them, what makes you think they’re going to like the Marner offers?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
When does trade occur??????????? da da da dum dum dum .. nothing will change with team until da deed is complete .. and then JT must go on LTIR next season for any chance at a 2025 cup

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Here’s the issue. If the Leafs “supposedly” listened to offers on Nylander and didn’t like them, what makes you think they’re going to like the Marner offers?
Agree that the return will most likely be disappointing but we can close the gap if we sign a solid player with the cap savings.

Willie was a PPG player last summer while Marner is closer to a 100 point player. I doubt Vegas offers Theo + Wild Bill for Nylander or that should have been a done deal and we'd have to option keep Marner today.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
the biggest problem is marner wants term .if he gets 8 years ,itll be 3 years of tavaras like numbers ,no thanks
For me one of the problems is that we get more vulnerable with depending on a few players to do the heaviest work. If Marner gets hurt or dont play 100% it hurts the team to much. If we got players charing his work load, and one gets hurt , the team hurts less.

On the other hand if we got 3 top dudes there is always 2 left if one gets hurt.

It is more like we have tried this, lets try something else. Could go realy bad, but most are willing to try.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
When does trade occur??????????? da da da dum dum dum .. nothing will change with team until da deed is complete .. and then JT must go on LTIR next season for any chance at a 2025 cup
A Cup in 2025 is all but a fantasy. Tre needs to know how much cap he has going into July 1 in which case he has to have a deal secured and ready to announce shortly thereafter.

His skating already is average. Signing him for $100 will pretty much close the books on this era and it will be remembered for being a complete shamble.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not sure "insight" is the most accurate word but I commend you for taking the high road.

There's a difference between not knowing and not caring. You assume that in a Marner trade the team should be looking to maximize return. Most fans, including myself, just want him off the team.

This is about a culture shift, and if trading Marner tomorrow for future considerations gets it done, then I don't think they would have any trouble finding a trade partner.
Letting him walk away without any return is not an option for the Leafs. They’ve traded too many picks and they have nothing to show for it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Agree that the return will most likely be disappointing but we can close the gap if we sign a solid player with the cap savings.

Willie was a PPG player last summer while Marner is closer to a 100 point player. I doubt Vegas offers Theo + Wild Bill for Nylander or that should have been a done deal and we'd have to option keep Marner today.
That’s where I need to know the Leafs mindset. Are they going for a new identity, or default core because the return was awful? We couldn’t get what we want so we paid him for 8 years.

If you don’t plan on signing Marner to 12+ million, then an A+ return shouldn’t be the issue if Marner agrees to the team. Would you rather a B return or zero return if he isn’t in the plans.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
So we shop him around the league, letting everyone know we want him gone, therein lowering his value and get teams to agree on handshake deals that he can just say no to? Mkay

Do you honestly not think every GM in the league is aware that there is a real possibility that the Leafs are willing to move Marner ?

There is no "shopping around" required, if they are interested they'll be calling.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Letting him walk away without any return is not an option for the Leafs. They’ve traded too many picks and they have nothing to show for it.
Ideally yes, but its Marner that determines that outcome and can't be prevented if he stands behind his NMC until his contract expires.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Do you honestly not think every GM in the league is aware that there is a real possibility that the Leafs are willing to move Marner ?

There is no "shopping around" required, if they are interested they'll be calling.
New CEO Pelley claimed the Core 4 will be no more, because Leafs want to achieve greater playoff success.

With AM and WN signed long-tern to new deals every other team is now aware that Marner and/or Tavares are available and you don't have to read too closely between the lines to come to that conclusion.

Teams also are fully aware of their NMC status and realize that some convincing may need to be required, Leafs have not asked for a list from either player of teams they may for, which then suggests exactly what you're saying that only serious inquires need apply.

Reactions: egd27

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto

keeping Marner WILL NEVER be an option after 8 years of disappointing playoff performances.

He signed for 6 years and almost 11m with the promise of multiple 100pt seasons. He failed there too.

too much disappointment and failure to entertain keeping Marner and giving him a raise.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
If management thinks this will be the same as Nylander without a deal, they are completely out to lunch on where the fanbase is. We wanted Nylander extended, we want Marner traded.

Marner being the best player in the league in Oct / Nov like Willy was will not result in us being like we gotta keep this guy. It will simply turn up the volume on trade him while his value is high. There will be no noise cancellation.

His agent already showed he will use the media. All season long they will leak outrageous numbers while also publicly saying they don't want to talk about it in season. Every loss Marner will be boo'd. Fans will rip him apart when we hit those 5 game losing streaks in season every team hits.

If they think they lack leverage now, it will only get much much worse. Please for the love of god fire Shanny

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It's not that big of a deal really, just replace him with someone else's "walk away without return". Our "walk away without return" has a super inflated perception of his worth and is a playoff dud. Other teams "walk away without returns" are because the team is cheap (Carolina) and not because they're not worth it. The Leafs aren't cheap, just the opposite, they overpay. If you're kicking a player off a team that overpays, that says something.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Speaking of McDavid he broke Wayne Gretzky's All-time Oilers playoff record for assists in playoff season yesterday with his 4 point game.

That is not something you see everyday from a playoff performer.
And notice in his post game interview he barely acknowledged that, it was more about team results. He's a true leader!

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
And that is their prerogative. But as a fan I don't have to like it.

What I see is an organization that is more worried about public perception rather than doing whatever it takes to move the team forward. Moving Marner moves the team forward in the big picture. The Leafs will lose every Marner trade they make... who f***ing cares. The MLSE board and Shanahan, that's who. Those at the top of the organization have created the loser atmosphere we have by being NOT willing to make the hard decisions (especially on the trade front).

For this core: 8 years is enough. 2 coaches is enough.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

If you watch the presser again that kind of seems like a direct reference to the core 4 and more likely the core 3 as JT is only locked in for a year and would bring nothing back in a deal. And they can't very well tip their hand and say what that game changing adjustment will be but they were careful not to just drop the failures on the coach, which is in itself significant.

But the words on pending change, like Dubas's "nothing is off the table" or the leaked story that last summer Tre was shopping Willie but couldn't get back what they wanted, all come back to the same thing. The club has to. in their minds, get better. The change is contingent on the return being adequate. If management are not of the opinion that saving $12M x 8 is already a substantial victory then letting him walk is off the table then they will re-sign him because he is a star and even tho they don't win shit, you don't get better by giving away stars. I don't think they want to keep him with the deals the other two have signed and Berube has no attachment so I doubt he has any opinion except "I'll work with whatever you give me (but give me a goalie)"

If they want to push him out they can. If they tell him he isn't re-signing no matter what, then as Tone mentioned, he will lose the 8th year on his next deal. If they say the resigning of Willie means Mitch is now the #2 RW so his usage will be adjusted a bit in favor of the go-forward lineup then he may not have the numbers to generate the AAV he wants in free agency. So if he is not in their plans it can cost him millions and I don't think Team Marner would let that happen. There is a chance that he will not agree to the best trading partner from the Leafs point of view, and even that he would have to be traded as an LV style rental. But I don't think the want to keep him simply because of the cost.

“I believe that there are times when you talk about patience, and I still believe that there are times when patience is the suitable call. However, when you see patterns persist and the results don’t change, you have to adjust the way that you think about things,” he said.

“We will look at everything this summer and we will consider everything this summer, all with the intention of the one thing that we are here for, which is to make the Maple Leafs better and to win.”

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00