Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I can’t tell if you’re under 12 or over 69?

Its happened plenty. No 1st PP. Defensive zone starts. 3rd line. He is the hostile unwanted actor here. Its not the other way around.

Who was it? Kyper said so as well. There are levers a team can use to make it uncomfortable.

If you have someone on the team you don't want. You sit him. It happened to Kane. This is a player that has cried to the media over his contract. Over his coach etc. If you were the real Craig Button I would say this is why you don't have a team anymore.

Mitch Marner is a toxic asset in Toronto. He is about to become a drama bomb contagion next season if he is here.

Advised BT get rid of Mitch Marner ASAP. BT held on to Keefe and let him speak, look how bush league that looked.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If we had that kind of cap space, make a play for Sam Reinhart this year, and Linus Ulmark next year. Ulmark only if Woll doesn't take the net next season. Otherwise, spend the money on a 2-way defenseman. Domi absolutely. Bert needs to take a paycut to stay.

Reinhart seems like a prime candidate for an overpay, I'd probably stay away.

Ullmark crumbles in the playoffs, but it could change.

My whole point in comments like this is that cap space is not valuable unless spent right, most years that we have cap space, it hasn't been spent well, so adding more doesn't solve anything if it is spent like that continuously.

Anything that makes the team better, I am for it.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Reinhart seems like a prime candidate for an overpay, I'd probably stay away.

Ullmark crumbles in the playoffs, but it could change.

My whole point in comments like this is that cap space is not valuable unless spent right, most years that we have cap space, it hasn't been spent well, so adding more doesn't solve anything if it is spent like that continuously.

Anything that makes the team better, I am for it.
All UFAs that change teams are overpaid, that's why they leave their team, to get overpaid.
Ulmark. Too small of a sample size. I'll bet on his regular seasons. But maybe he's a choker. I don't know. He seems like the gold gem of possible UFA goalies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Only caught a bit but the Overdirive guys were discussing Marner with Mike Johnson. O'Dog asked why do Marner and Panarin's games not translate to the playoffs yet #21 on the Lightnings does? He is also smaller than both.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I have no issue skipping their games during football season. It's after football season when I start to have sports withdrawal that I will watch some games. I don't do basketball ever. And then the whole 70 goal chase thing caught my attention. But yeah, I'll be skipping plenty of their regular season games again.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
The killer thing about this is that I don't actually think it has ever really been about the actual dollars and cents with Mitch. By all means, he wants to be paid handsomely, but listening to his Dad and Dreger back during the negotiation it was far more about the respect and reputation than the money. The money and where he fit into the salary structure was more about what that meant within the pecking order of the team than actually having 88 or 85m in the bank.

I've always believed that Mitch cares too much and his dreams of being Doug Gilmour are what keep holding him back. But what will eat him is that his failure has killed those Gilmour dreams and the only way of controlling how much "respect" he gets is through the contract once again. This offseason and the NTC are going to be a battle of whether his ego can give up on the Maple Leaf dream without one more chance to make things right. That's certainly what it will be sold to us as if he comes back, but I for one am not buying that, no thank you.
Marner lacks two things Gilmour had. Gilmour was mean and fearless. Marner can't hold Gilmour's jock. If Mitchy wants to be respected by Leafs' fans as Gilmour was, he'll have to develop those things.

Not gonna happen.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Marner lacks two things Gilmour had. Gilmour was mean and fearless. Marner can't hold Gilmour's jock. If Mitchy wants to be respected by Leafs' fans as Gilmour was, he'll have to develop those things.

Not gonna happen.

Gilmour was paid much less and delivered a hell of a lot more. Those two should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The killer thing about this is that I don't actually think it has ever really been about the actual dollars and cents with Mitch. By all means, he wants to be paid handsomely, but listening to his Dad and Dreger back during the negotiation it was far more about the respect and reputation than the money.
Talk is cheap.

I’ll wash his car every morning, bring Tim’s, and talk nicely to him if he takes 7AAV x 8.

Reactions: Tobyboy and ToneDog

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
He failed his performance review. No bonus this time. Any serious competitor watching a spotlight on Marner vs Boston video is puking in disgust or laughing in hysterics. It was terrible.

Each weak little corsi shot from the point should have been a spike through the heart of Shanahan and BTs love for the guy.

Poor performance. No confidence. Does not negotiate in good faith.

End of story.
Excuse me Mr. the wave. Each one of those shots were ""high danger" chances, and he LED the Leafs in "scoring chance assists"... according to the junk advanced stats gurus.

Those stats need to be totally rejected by hockey. Because they're GARBAGE.

Reactions: Tobyboy and thewave

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

Not gonna happen.
That 1992-93 Gilmour season is still the best season by a Maple Leaf that I've ever witnessed. That's an understatement.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Can hate Dubas if you like, at least he wasn't scared to make moves. It has been his one defining trait he makes big moves
200.webp

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Talk is cheap.

I’ll wash his car every morning, bring Tim’s, and talk nicely to him if he takes 7AAV x 8.

Bingo.

If Mitch had wanted to take less money, he could've, but he didn't. He won't be taking less on his next deal either, not with Paul calling the shots.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That 1992-93 Gilmour season is still the best season by a Maple Leaf that I've ever witnessed. That's an understatement.
That’s the identity we should be striving for.
Pat Burns had us playing 4 line hockey before the Devils and Lemaire made it fashionable.
We need the blue collar identity. Anyone who doesn’t fit gets shipped out a la Bruins style.
Regardless and without regret.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
To be fair, most guys in the league look at "where they are relative to their teammates" as a sign of "respect".

At the end of the day though, while the narrative of "being afraid of Kadri 2.0" is obviously not a good look, it is a real thing.

Let's say Marner is willing to do Nylander's exact deal -- $11.5m x 8....something that while might be tough for Marner to stomach given that he's always been above Willy... but justifyable given that Willy has emerged as a 2-time 40-goal scorer and Marner more of an assist guy.

The cap is projected to be $92m next year, maybe $96m after that. John Tavares goes from being an $11m guy to a $4m guy.

There is a world where you might regret not having Marner at $11.5m; especially if you don't get anything material for him in return.
No there isn't.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He never made one big move EVER.

Not one.

Kadri trade was a big move. ROR was a big move. Muzzin was a big move. Signing Tavares was a big move.

He wasn't afraid to go for it 100% if he thought it got us better, just turns out they didn't worked out. I wish for the same thing, if they know Marner needs to be dealt, do what you gotta do to make that happen and get the best deal you can and deal with the rest later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad