Proposal: Marner to Utah

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
Diehard AZ fan who will be following the team to Utah.

I personally, and a lot of the others in the fanbase, do not want to bring on Marner. The team isn't ready for a player like that, and it could effect the cap space to sign all of the young players who will be coming up. Unfortunately, I don't own the team and there are rumblings that Ryan Smith wants to make a splash.

I'm trying to make a proposal that is fair for both sides despite this. I know Keller is the dream in TOR, but outside of nearly a 1:1 swap I don't see it happening.

To TOR
Nick Schmaltz
Maveric Lamoureux
2025 2nd
2025 2nd

To UTHC
Mitch Marner

Schmaltz is a similar player to Marner in that he is a playmaker first that can also score. He has a fantastic stick and is great at causing turnovers in the neutral zone and offensive ends. He has similar qualities that Marner has where he isn't great along the boards. But he has been on PPG paces in the past, that were derailed by injuries. Playing in TOR you have to think 70+ points is absolutely possible. But the big piece is TOR gets another very skilled forward that also saves them 5m in cap space NOW and potentially 7+ in space when Marner needs a new contract.

Maveric Lamoureux is a giant defenseman and former 1st round pick. His development has been great besides some injuries.

Two 2nds provides ammo to make more moves at the deadline.

Flame away. I don't care if you don't want to move Marner. Or if you don't want to trade for Marner. I want to know if this is a more agreeable price to both sides.

Reactions: 4thline

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They don't need Nick Schmaltz. I'm sure the Leafs would prefer the extra cap space there. So it's 2 2nds, plus a prospect. I guess it would depend on how they view that prospect, or more important when they view that prospect actually being a physical presence on their blue line, should the potential NHL jump take place. I think if they're trading Marner, they want cap space and something more proven to help right now or very soon.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I wouldn't offer much as a rental with an NMC, but if you can get an extension in place, you burn down the farm and go after him.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Connor Geekie for Marner or Lamoureux+38th and +65 in upcoming draft. Marner probably want closer destination in east. NYI would probably be good fit.

Last edited:

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Given Keller has previously expressed a desire to control his ultimate destiny, I strongly doubt Toronto is that for him. As such, regardless of the OP’s belief, I imagine Toronto would not want a deal whereby the centrepiece already has an exit strategy.

Without an extension, Marner returns a 1st, solid prospect and depth roster piece in an expiring contract. If the Leafs are moving him, it will be so Marner can max out his next contract term. This means it would be in everyone’s best interest to allow a team acquir

Keller is not the “dream” in Toronto. He won’t stay once his current deal expires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimes

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Schmaltz is a poor man’s Marner (good player though). I get it, the Leafs trade Marner here, get a legit top six playmaking winger back, a good prospect and some extra picks while clearing salary.

But this doesn’t really fundamentally change the Leafs…which I think has to be the basis of a Marner deal. Utah won’t be trading Crouse in this kind of package (so stop dreaming Leafs fans) - but he’s the type of guy that the Leafs would target to change the identity of how they construct their top of the line-up.

If you can’t get a Crouse-level “heavy” back, then I think you either keep Mitch for now or if you get a great pure futures/assets package back that you can then swing around and deal for immediate help.

Turning Marner into Schmaltz, a (good) defensive prospect who isn’t likely to really help for another year or two and some non-premium picks is kind of the “middle ground” which I think is strategically the worst way to handle Marner.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Diehard AZ fan who will be following the team to Utah.

I personally, and a lot of the others in the fanbase, do not want to bring on Marner. The team isn't ready for a player like that, and it could effect the cap space to sign all of the young players who will be coming up. Unfortunately, I don't own the team and there are rumblings that Ryan Smith wants to make a splash.

I'm trying to make a proposal that is fair for both sides despite this. I know Keller is the dream in TOR, but outside of nearly a 1:1 swap I don't see it happening.

To TOR
Nick Schmaltz
Maveric Lamoureux
2025 2nd
2025 2nd

To UTHC
Mitch Marner

Schmaltz is a similar player to Marner in that he is a playmaker first that can also score. He has a fantastic stick and is great at causing turnovers in the neutral zone and offensive ends. He has similar qualities that Marner has where he isn't great along the boards. But he has been on PPG paces in the past, that were derailed by injuries. Playing in TOR you have to think 70+ points is absolutely possible. But the big piece is TOR gets another very skilled forward that also saves them 5m in cap space NOW and potentially 7+ in space when Marner needs a new contract.

Maveric Lamoureux is a giant defenseman and former 1st round pick. His development has been great besides some injuries.

Two 2nds provides ammo to make more moves at the deadline.

Flame away. I don't care if you don't want to move Marner. Or if you don't want to trade for Marner. I want to know if this is a more agreeable price to both sides.
Why would you do this to yourself? You know you're just going to get a bunch of offers for Crouse or Keller or #6 or a d-man right?

If I was Utah I wouldn't trade Lamoreaux in this deal and Schmaltz would have to be going back the other way. Marner also won't be a good fit regardless because he costs so much salary and Cooley, Guenther and Doan will all be due raises.

Reactions: lanky

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Marner is extending wherever he decides to go. A deal centered around Crouse + is the only deal I see interesting Toronto for an extended Marner. Crouse + McBain+ 2nd in 2024 for Marner at 12x8 + Liljegren + Kampf.

Reactions: Grimes

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Marner is extending wherever he decides to go. A deal centered around Crouse + is the only deal I see interesting Toronto for an extended Marner. Crouse + McBain+ 2nd in 2024 for Marner at 12x8 + Liljegren + Kampf.
I'm sure you'd love to get that deal for Marner but he isn't worth that even when he's signed. McBain and Crouse are the exact type of players who win and matter in the playoffs, and do more despite not having the support Marner has had his whole career. And Utah certainly won't pay Marner 12m AND deal Crouse and McBain for him at the same time. If the Leafs want to pay him 12m they can be our guests, but I suspect that Marner will only get that on the open market and probably won't even get that much.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I get that Utah will want to make a splash, but having your 3 best players be undersized playmakers doesn’t seem like a winning strategy. Even with all the massive bodies they have in their prospect pool

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'm sure you'd love to get that deal for Marner but he isn't worth that even when he's signed. McBain and Crouse are the exact type of players who win and matter in the playoffs, and do more despite not having the support Marner has had his whole career. And Utah certainly won't pay Marner 12m AND deal Crouse and McBain for him at the same time. If the Leafs want to pay him 12m they can be our guests, but I suspect that Marner will only get that on the open market and probably won't even get that much.
I'd honestly keep marner at 12 mill or less and let Tavres walk next year. This whole trope of Marner being terrible in the playoffs is nonsense. Their is definitely a dip in his production but he still posts solid numbers in the post season.

• Haha
Reactions: Ciao and HolyCrap

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd honestly keep marner at 12 mill or less and let Tavres walk next year. This whole trope of Marner being terrible in the playoffs is nonsense. Their is definitely a dip in his production but he still posts solid numbers in the post season.
But then don’t you still have too much ties in 3 forwards, nylander, Matthews, Marner?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Ah yes, how to solve 8 years of failure? A 9th, but we give all the overpaid losers a raise. That'll surely fix it

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
I get that Utah will want to make a splash, but having your 3 best players be undersized playmakers doesn’t seem like a winning strategy. Even with all the massive bodies they have in their prospect pool

I have to agree. Problem could be that Smith doesn't see it that way and gets the ultimate say. Again, this isn't the move I would be thrilled about, so trying to gauge what would make some sense to both teams.

Reactions: 4thline

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Then keep him. Marner isn't terrible in the playoffs but he also doesn't step up and is pretty soft. 12m would place him as what, top 5 paid in the league? Top 3 maybe? He's good but he isn't a top 5 player in the league, especially during the playoffs, and Utah could easily use that cap space on an actual need, not a small winger who is another elite playmaker that's decent to good two way. Crouse and McBain produce a lot less than Marner does, but Marner would also produce less without Matthews and Nylander/Tavares/Reilly on the PP. Marner is just a better version of Keller/Maccelli but he's also paid a hell of a lot more than those two players and that isn't worth it for a team like Utah.

I'd much rather give 8-9m on a short term contract to Stamkos or some other UFA center like Reinhart or Lindholm than give an extra couple million and assets for Marner. Much like the Leafs Utah badly needs a #1D and a steady RHD who is at least a #2D that's good defensively and can anchor the top pair. Unlike the Leafs they don't have Matthews and Tavares as their top 2 centers either.

Last I checked Marner was not a D or a C, so even if he wasn't going to likely cost over 10m he wouldn't be a fit for Utah.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would just keep him and walk him to free agency, if it were up to me.

A lot can happen between now and then. He might even prove his worth. If not, he may find that his worth isn't what he thinks it is, and settles for much less.

I just don't see the value in dealing with a player whose head size is three times too big.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
We fans might think this is all fine and dandy but the fact is Marner has a NMC. If he waives the return will be cap space.
Nah….
He’s an elite player and if we deal him it will be with an extension in place and he would have agreed upon the destination.

We’ll clean up!

Reactions: Bust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad