Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Oh stop.

No trade is likely to be announced before July 1st, and certainly not when the NHL is deep into the playoffs.

Maybe go easy on the fabricated outrage until at least then.

Who says it's fabricated.

Do I sound angry?
Do I sound frustrated?
Maybe even a little pissed off?

Everyone on this site should be.

The name of the team is the TORONTO Maple Leafs. These players are paid millions upon millions to represent the pride of this city. Seeing their disgusting no heart no show performance every spring is bad enough on it's own.

Even worse when they shrug it off like it's no big deal.

This should be the flagship franchise of the NHL. Instead it's the biggest joke of the league. The greatest opportunity in a lifetime to win the cup is being pissed away and for some reason that's OK.

The complacency in this fan base is mind numbing.

Get angry.... get f***ING angry. Tell them how you really feel. Maybe something will finally get done.

If I sound extremist that's only because the situation IS extreme.

Time is the most precious commodity of all. Treliving is aware of this. That's why the Leafs hired Berube so quickly.

Patience isn't a virtue when the doomsday clock is two minutes to midnight.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Who says it's fabricated.

Do I sound angry?
Do I sound frustrated?
Maybe even a little pissed off?

Everyone on this site should be.

The name of the team is the TORONTO Maple Leafs. These players are paid millions upon millions to represent the pride of this city. Seeing their disgusting no heart no show performance every spring is bad enough on it's own.

Even worse when they shrug it off like it's no big deal.

This should be the flagship franchise of the NHL. Instead it's the biggest joke of the league. The greatest opportunity in a lifetime to win the cup is being pissed away and for some reason that's OK.

Get angry.... get f***ING angry. Tell them how you really feel. Maybe something will finally get done.

Time is the most precious commodity of all. Treliving is aware of this. That's why the Leafs hired Berube so quickly.

But.. but... they're seen as gods around here, which is obviously frustrating to some players.:sarcasm:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not for the Leafs he wasn't. You completely missed my point.

The concept of replacing Kadri with a player who doesn't get suspended is somewhat comparable to replacing Marner with a player who might perform in tight games.

Kadri trade didn't work out due to targeted players, yes. It was still the right decision to move from him as it's the right decision to move off of Marner.
I would have preferred to work with Kadri rather than forcing a trade. Cannot make the same mistake with Marner.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It is very impressive, but regular season accolades only count for so much. The true legends of the game also led their teams to playoff success.

Auston Matthews 69 regular season goals & 1 meaningful playoff goal @ $11.634 mil.
Mitch Marner 26 regular season goals and 1 meaningful playoff goal @ $10.9 mil
John Tavares 29 regular season goals and 1 meaningful playoff goal @ $ 11 mil

vs

Zach Hyman 54 regular season goals & 11 playoff goals and into the final 4 carrying his new team.

Zach Hyman since leaving the Leafs due to GM incompetence has scored 25 playoff goals in 40 playoff games. vs Matthews (10) + Marner (6) and Tavares (8) = 24 goals total combined past 3 seasons in 73 man games.

Impressive is what former Leafs Zach Hyman is doing for his new team now that he is being used properly and in all situation and has outscore all 3 Leafs $11 mil players combined in the playoffs.

Marner is the weakest link statistically of all those players here in terms of goal scoring in the regular season and playoffs and his non physical preferred style of play is anti-playoff style as well,

Leafs likely got rid of the wrong Matthews winger in the past and now it looks like Marner appears to be the one new management has a desire to move on from.

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Kadri's suspensions say more about the team's cowardice than anything else. Only guy who actually stepped up for teammates, even in his suspensions first time was Marner getting mugged by Wingels and other Bruins bitches, second time was DeBrusk almost pulling a Chara/Pacioretty on a respected vet like Marleau and running around all game like the rat he is. Sure, he was a bit of a hothead, but can't deny he bled blue and white and cared, and hated to lose. Needed more guys like him, not less. Maybe if it wasn't all left to him then those suspensions wouldn't have happened.
100%!

I defended the Kadri trade at the time and even though I can now see how it spoke volumes about the (lack of) character on the team, I can at least see why Dubas did it. It was a decisive move that was consistent with an organizational philosophy. Turns out that philosophy was stupid, but you do get points for consistency and decisive action, even when it's not correct.

Meanwhile, Marner continues to fritter away postseasons and fail when we need him most. Our organizational philosophy (supposedly) is that highly skilled offense can make the difference in the post season, yet Marner is the epitome of unreliable and MIA when we need him most. If I think it's sensible that Kadri was fired for two unreliable postseasons, how could I possibly think it makes sense that Marner is still here after so many terrible series? If you're going to bring the hammer down on Kadri, who was doing what we wanted but went too far, I can understand, but if that's going to be followed up by Marner failing for years and continuing to wear the jersey, I can no longer understand. It's indecisive and it's inconsistent, therefore no points. Shanahan should also be fired for it.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

You can rant and rave all you want, it's not going to change the fact there isn't a GM with an IQ higher than 16 that is going to trade for Mitch before that July 1st bonus has been paid.

It's got nothing to do with my "complacency" or not being angry it's about living in the real world.

You've got it wrong, the doomsday clock isn't two minutes to midnight, it doesn't even start ticking until 12:01am on July 1st.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It infuriates me how everything MLSE touches turns to an absolute disaster. Keefe had his issues, but what coach doesn’t. He was the wrong hire because he like dubie, learned on the job at a time when you needed established seasoned management and coaches, not rookies learning the ropes. Keefe did get better and frankly I’m not the biggest endorser of keefe but he was handed goalies who were mentally fragile or physically fragile or both. On top of that, keefe didn’t hand out ludicrous second contracts to M&M and taveras and piss away assets getting an injured foligno rental in return. Then when dubas realized his skill skill skill with no physicality approach wasn’t working, at the 11th hour traded for Schenn, lybushkin, RoR but it was too late. It was like trying to use duct tape as a last resort when the foundation of the ship was too fragile. On top of that, dubas banked hard on sandin and Lilly pad to step in and neither were good. Also dubas, learn to build a team correctly, get some grit, some RD and not invest half the cap in 4 players. Also Reilly is your best d man and can’t play the PP or PK effectively. Keefe had his downfalls, but he was given a flawed team and that’s ultimately on shanahan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petrus and ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It is very impressive, but regular season accolades only count for so much. The true legends of the game also led their teams to playoff success.
They won’t hold any playoff scoring records that’s for damn sure, and that’s why some of the core will be traded

You sound like Dave Keon. Matty 69 goals during the regular season. One in five games vs Bruins.

54 career goal pace regular season. 34 goal pace in playoffs.

You wanna be a legend. Win a cup,
Winning means everything…….

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yep. Keefe at times looked like he was asking, or even pleading players to play a certain way. I don't think Berube will be as lenient. He won't yell and scream but will make players fight for their minutes rather than icing the top 2 lines regardless if they're having a bad game.

Brad built the team so we could ice 4 lines and Keefe instead stacked 2 lines, had a bad 3rd line and figured the 4th didn't matter.
I feel asking a player to play a different way than what has gotten him to the level he is at today, is similar to asking someone to win with their B game. Maybe some guys can do that but I think most can’t.

So I feel Trev should get players to allow our top guys to play their way. Very much like we would pair a stay at home Dman with Rielly

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Zach Hyman since leaving the Leafs due to GM incompetence has scored 25 playoff goals in 40 playoff games. vs Matthews (10) + Marner (6) and Tavares (8) = 24 goals total combined past 3 seasons in 73 man games.
Sad really.

It felt just bad when Hyman wasn’t resigned.

It didn’t feel right.

And it wasn’t right

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Heck, not even a cup, just put a nice run together. Anything but getting rinsed every year. I’m desperate

l'd settle for a few rounds, and Marner not posting about the cottage the day after the team is eliminated.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Yep. Keefe at times looked like he was asking, or even pleading players to play a certain way. I don't think Berube will be as lenient. He won't yell and scream but will make players fight for their minutes rather than icing the top 2 lines regardless if they're having a bad game.

Brad built the team so we could ice 4 lines and Keefe instead stacked 2 lines, had a bad 3rd line and figured the 4th didn't matter.
I think Keefe's thinking goes back to Dubas' philosophy of stars win series...but he forgot/didn't recognize that those stars don't do it alone. Same with the tiny players he kept drafting. Yes, you can win with a few smaller players...but not 50% of your team. Same goes for the core. Can you have a soft player in your core? Sure...but not 3 or 4 of them that make up the bulk of it. It was spreadsheet mania for a long time and I am so glad it's over.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Matthews and Marner could both move into top 5 in all time Leaf scoring by the end of the season.
No doubt if they finish their careers here they will finish 1-2 all time. Pretty remarkable.

With nylander right there too. I don’t see any of them going anywhere until after that happens

Auston Matthews 69 regular season goals & 1 meaningful playoff goal @ $11.634 mil.
Mitch Marner 26 regular season goals and 1 meaningful playoff goal @ $10.9 mil
John Tavares 29 regular season goals and 1 meaningful playoff goal @ $ 11 mil

vs

Zach Hyman 54 regular season goals & 11 playoff goals and into the final 4 carrying his new team.

Impressive is what former Leafs Zach Hyman is doing for his new team now that he is being used properly and in all situation and has outscore all 3 Leafs $11 mil players combined in the playoffs.

Marner is the weakest link statistically of all those players here in terms of goal scoring in the regular season and playoffs and his non physical preferred style of play is anti-playoff style as well,

Leafs like got rid of the wrong Matthews winger in the past and not it looks like Marner appears to be the one with a desire to move on from.
What do you honestly think would happen if Marner was on mcdavids wing?

Reactions: ACC1224

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think Keefe's thinking goes back to Dubas' philosophy of stars win series...but he forgot/didn't recognize that those stars don't do it alone. Same with the tiny players he kept drafting. Yes, you can win with a few smaller players...but not 50% of your team. Same goes for the core. Can you have a soft player in your core? Sure...but not 3 or 4 of them that make up the bulk of it. It was spreadsheet mania for a long time and I am so glad it's over.
Management has to ask themselves, are the Leafs ‘stars’ actually stars?

It’s not just one playoff series but in nearly every big moment their top players fail. The Sunday game 6 at home to Boston, Tavares return to NYI, several prime NBC TNT and ESPN games where they were hyped up and showcased and they laid eggs. That’s who they are and I would think the only way they get out it is if someone carries them out.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm kind of an armchair GM and I can't get past the fact that at this time with where the cap is, you're not going to be able to assemble a cup winning roster with 2 wingers making over 10 million on the cap, or 11.5+ 11.5-12.5M given that their names aren't Pastrnak or Kucherov, our guys just haven't performed well enough.

Nylander has been extended so you just gotta be rational and do the best you can in a trade for Marner.

Reactions: ToneDog

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Unless they are moving someone else instead, extending Marner makes no sense at this point.

That's no shade against Mitch. I like Mitch. I might be one of the few left here who does.

But three $11M+ forwards isn't working. Why would four next year? Or three the year after that?

Team needs balance. For too long we've relied on bargain bin goaltending and defense and they've tried their best, bless them... But it's time to invest.

Last edited:

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Hyman scores many of his goals around the net...I would still expect Marner to skate around the perimeter.
His point total would most likely go through the roof as would McDavid's goals. I get frustrated as well with him and I definitely think he was highly overpaid but he's not nearly as bad of a player as some of you make him out to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad