Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We really need the playoffs to end so that this very critical offseason can begin or we are going to start eating each other.

Except if Edmonton wins. Then we all need to spontaneously combust.

A canadian team has not won in 30 years is in the media. Gary Bet99man is going to make sure a Canadian team wins. My conspiracy theorist says Katz invested a lot of money and the best player in the world will be the ones to win it all this year.

Stay away from gas and ignition points.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
A canadian team has not won in 30 years is in the media. Gary Bet99man is going to make sure a Canadian team wins. My conspiracy theorist says Katz invested a lot of money and the best player in the world will be the ones to win it all this year.

Stay away from gas and ignition points.
Gary Bettman gets an old man semi-hardon every time a Canadian team is eliminated. The NHL office wants Florida to win right now.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
TRADE MARNER

Just getting in my daily rep, like this savage.

1331660438_bike_wheelie_bench_pressing.gif

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With a more competent former GM the Leafs would have had Marner on his 8 year X $8.5 mil contract right now with 3 more years remaining at that Cap hit.

He would have been signed a year earlier and first, before the Tavares UFA signing, and for sure prior to the Auston Matthews cap busting contract.

Instead we have seen Marner now 5 years into his bloated $10.9 mil contract, and as a result overpaid by $2.4 mil Cap getting paid on his 2nd contract at UFA rates instead of the league wide normal RFA team cost controllable rates for the first 4 years of this current deal.

Since " Two wrongs don't make a right" as the saying goes I expect the buck to end here for Mitch, as it appears the organization appears to want change and his next contract won't be a raise coming from the Leafs organization, but rather will need to come from his next team. No next Leafs contract giving Leafs Treliving some leverage and control of the situation back, as that is out of Marner's control.

So now it will be interesting to see if Marner is willing to work with Leafs management to make that happen sooner rather than later. With that poison pill NMC in his current contract left by Treliving's predecessor the biggest question on the table as to how this will all play out.

However I have hopes that once the groundwork is laid out. that Marner might realise that its in his best interest to move on when that finally sinks in, if that is the teams desire. Working with management on a list of teams he would accept a trade to, that see him as apart of their future. Perhaps even working together on a potential sign and trade that gives him a potential 8th year, rather then test free agency Summer 2025, and his options much less known.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
New York vs Dallas is perfect for US TV ratings and owners revenues .. it increases HRR da most .. while I am hoping for da Oilers it is a long shot .. watch calls start to break for Stars .. unfortunately Canadians watch playoff hockey no matter who plays .. in US it is not like that at all .. markets are much more regional .. California/US west coast has complete near zero hockey ratings now .. midwest not far behind except diehards in Michigan/Minn

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
However I have hopes that once the groundwork is laid out. that Marner might realise that its in his best interest to move on when that finally sinks in, if that is the teams desire. Working with management on a list of teams he would accept a trade to, that see him as apart of their future. Perhaps even working together on a potential sign and trade that gives him a potential 8th year, rather then test free agency Summer 2025, and his options much less known.
This is obviously best case scenario, but I really worry about egos & emotions getting in the way - we know the Marner camp can be very emotional & take a lot of things personally, and I wonder if they get so irritated by the mere suggestion that the Leafs approach Marner about moving on / not extending him, that they stay and decide to play things out in a manner that is purely out of spite.

The 8th year in a potential sign & trade feels significant, but I can also totally see a scenario where Ferris advises Marner to not bother with a sign & trade now, where you're restricted to only going to a team that has the assets available to acquire you, and go the free agency route, where many more teams come to the table to negotiate, and potentially even create a bidding war, for his services.

That's why I've maintained all along that I just don't see a scenario where the Leafs make it uncomfortable enough to push a potential trade through with Marner this summer. I fully expect him to be here next year, playing out his final year before walking for nothing.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm not sure why it's a bad thing that topics are being revisited. It shows how engaged everyone is and how they care very much about the outcome
But it's literally the same comment over and over and over and over and over again. The obsession is more instructive than the topic, not you, but man this thread is the worst in garbage mob mentality. It's not about engagement, it's really more a sad study in follower group think. Marner isn't a bad person, a bad teammate, a coat tail riding fraud. Has he underachieved in the playoffs, absof***inglutely? Is his contract worth it? NO. Is the future contract problematic? Yes. Should they look at all options? For sure! Is this thread full of loser human beings I woundn't waste ten seconds hanging out with? You betcha.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is obviously best case scenario, but I really worry about egos & emotions getting in the way - we know the Marner camp can be very emotional & take a lot of things personally, and I wonder if they get so irritated by the mere suggestion that the Leafs approach Marner about moving on / not extending him, that they stay and decide to play things out in a manner that is purely out of spite.

The 8th year in a potential sign & trade feels significant, but I can also totally see a scenario where Ferris advises Marner to not bother with a sign & trade now, where you're restricted to only going to a team that has the assets available to acquire you, and go the free agency route, where many more teams come to the table to negotiate, and potentially even create a bidding war, for his services.

That's why I've maintained all along that I just don't see a scenario where the Leafs make it uncomfortable enough to push a potential trade through with Marner this summer. I fully expect him to be here next year, playing out his final year before walking for nothing.
There comes a time where self PRIDE should come into play.

If I had a locked in guaranteed contract that allowed me to play out the year, but the organization came to you and said we would like to go in a new direction, and despite respecting your past contributions you're no longer apart of the future plans, using the teams lack of success as the reason to force change, you would think "being wanted and needed" played a part in future destinations and future employment.

Marner's lack of playoff contribution doesn't really give him a strong rebuttal case that he should be part of the solution and not viewed as part of the problem, due in part to his large contract impacting team depth. Marner has scored 11 playoff goals in 8 playoff years and 9 playoff series, averaging approx. 1 goals per series. You don't need to be paying a player $11 mil to get 1 playoff goal annually on average.

A team willing to trade assets for and willing to meet his contract demands beyond this one, considering its likely to be his BIGGEST of his career should play a large part in how much weight he places on his NMC to force Leafs organization hand to allow him to play out this year in Toronto. IMO

Free agency is a lot less certain as many players find out.. Many players have even forced their way off of current teams over $$ and demands despite being in great positions, only to find out the grass is not always greener on the other side. If Marner says I'm looking for $12.5 mil on my next deal and Toronto says. that is not happening here, then best start planning how to make that happen and the sooner the better. :wg:

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
But it's literally the same comment over and over and over and over and over again. The obsession is more instructive than the topic, not you, but man this thread is the worst in garbage mob mentality. It's not about engagement, it's really a study in follower group think. Marner isn't a bad person, a bad teammate, a coat tail riding fraud. Has he underachieved in the playoffs, absof***inglutely? Is his contract worth it? NO. Is the future contract problematic? Yes. Should they look at all options? For sure! Is this thread full of loser human beings I woundn't waste ten seconds hanging out with? You betcha.
Yeah emotions are high, this sport is an escape for me from the grind of the day to day. For what it's worth, I am sorry for my hot takes as well. I definitely get carried away and let this game turn me into an idiot. I work in a field that's heavily public facing and it's nice to run my mouth a little from time to time lol

Mitch seems like a good guy, I hope he finds some peace, whether it's here or a city of his choice. He looks troubled and I feel for him

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yeah emotions are high, this sport is an escape for me from the grind of the day to day. For what it's worth, I am sorry for my hot takes as well. I definitely get carried away and let this game turn me into an idiot. I work I a field that's heavily public facing and it's nice to run my mouth a little from time to time lol

Mitch seems like a good guy, I hope he finds some peace, whether it's here or a city of his choice. He looks troubled and I feel for him
He carries a lot of baggage than seems to undermine his game when it matters. Perhaps another location is best for him too. I'm still not sure he's moved, but it has to be on the table, really from both sides perspective

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
There comes a time where self PRIDE should come into play.

If I had a locked in guaranteed contract that allowed me to play out the year, but the organization came to you and said we would like to go in a new direction, and despite respecting your past contributions you're no longer apart of the future plans, using the teams lack of success as the reason to force change, you would think "being wanted and needed" played a part in future destinations and future employment.

Marner's lack of playoff contribution doesn't really give him a strong rebuttal case that he should be part of the solution and not viewed as part of the problem, due in part to his large contract impacting team depth. Marner has scored 11 playoff goals in 8 playoff years and 9 playoff series, averaging approx. 1 goals per series. You don't need to be paying a player $11 mil to get 1 playoff goal annually on average.

A team willing to trade assets for and willing to meet his contract demands beyond this one, considering its likely to be his BIGGEST of his career should play a large part in how much weight he places on his NMC to force Leafs organization hand to allow him to play out this year in Toronto. IMO

Free agency is a lot less certain as many players find out.. Many players have even forced their way off of current teams over $$ and demands despite being in great positions, only to find out the grass is not always greener on the other side. If Marner says I'm looking for $12.5 mil on my next deal and Toronto says. that is not happening here, then best start planning how to make that happen and the sooner the better. :wg:
In general I agree that pride and personal self-worth needs to become a factor.

But let's remember - we are talking about a player/camp that doesn't understand the concept of accountability, and has become very defensive at any hint of negativity, criticism, or him not being the golden child. His "shambles in the brains" likely prevents him from seeing the big picture here.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
With a more competent former GM the Leafs would have had Marner on his 8 year X $8.5 mil contract right now with 3 more years remaining at that Cap hit.

He would have been signed a year earlier and first, before the Tavares UFA signing, and for sure prior to the Auston Matthews cap busting contract.

Instead we have seen Marner now 5 years into his bloated $10.9 mil contract, and as a result overpaid by $2.4 mil Cap getting paid on his 2nd contract at UFA rates instead of the league wide normal RFA team cost controllable rates for the first 4 years of this current deal.

All caused by Dubas’ first move : acquire John Tavares in Canada day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad