Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Everybody seems very sure Marner is going to waive, I think he might but I'm not sure he's going to

Also all this were going to make his life miserable so he will waive stuff is pretty questionable

It can also make him dig in and give everybody a good old fashioned **** you if you try that

Reactions: al secord and bax

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Listening to Biz the other day, I think he might be on to something.

Marner on a contract year might go en fuego. He's all about Money and his next contract so I can totally see him giving us the best effort he's ever given us.

But do we risk him going into UFA and lose him for nothing?
Heres the thing though, Marner might think he can do whatever he wants but Berube is gonna have a say on how this team and its players play. Berube doesnt care if Marner wants to get a bunch of points to up his contract price. Him and Tre made it pretty clear its about the team and not the player. Talk is cheap but for now and until proven otherwise, I believe them.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

myleafs

May 25, 2021
We risk nothing. MLSE will carry the risks. I don't really understand why people on this forum try to negotiate Marners future on this team. It is what it is and the logic of the situation will prevail because the people at MLSE have jobs to ensure the least likely path of destruction. Shanny doesn't have a ton of time left and Berube has 4 or 5 years. Nobody will do a thing out of spite. They will pursue pragmatism. Losing Mitch Marner for nothing is a complete fail. A polished turd is still a turd. If a potential lucrative deal cannot be reached, the only other sulution is to re-sign Marner and the coach to bear down *if* he doesn't play to his expectations. Nobody wants to work in a place of misery and Marner would eventually ask for a trade...if it came to that.
If the team over estimates their short term leverage, they will be cooked and they likely know it. A NMC on a last year is toothpaste out of the tube. What is done is done.
I agree with the bolded ..We tried it with this bunch and it didnt work. its done. Move on.

Restructuring would require a window that Shanny doesn't have. While he is still around, you won't see a second rebuild.
Adapt or die

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
We are going to be eating lots of crow once Mitch refuses to waive his NMC and signs for $13.093mx8. :sarcasm:
Ive been told for 5 years by the Marner fans "just you wait, Marner is gonna make you eat crow"... the poor Marner fans playing the odds, expecting that one of these years he will catch lightning in a bottle.

This is the typical Marner fan process:
Offseason: "Marner is gonna win the Art Ross this year"

Season comes and it's "can't we just enjoy the player and the season?"

... than playoff comes and its "Marner must be injured" or "nobody is finishing his setups"

rinse and repeat

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We are going to be eating lots of crow once Mitch refuses to waive his NMC and signs for $13.093mx8. :sarcasm:
More like throwing it up.
1716420656550.gif

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
perhaps Berube will depoly Marner differently than Keefe did, maybe he's on the 2nd or 3rd line, maybe he sees less pp time...............
Well I think it might have been Broudreau but he mentioned the Leafs PP doesn't move the puck enough, so the opposition sets up and never needs to scranble.

I've said this for years, Marner gets the puck and instead of moving it fast, he acts like he's Tom Brady waiting for a goal scoring play that has to come off his stick. Instead of getting the opposition moving with quick passes.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I am hating all these articles and insiders now saying….lets see what happens with marner and he may not go and they should run it back with berube.

I swear if this happens again with no trades to the core and especially marner then I will be livid.
Tre is gonna bring in a couple dmen we are going to really like and maybe a decent goalie that we are all happy with. We will do well in the regular season looking solid with our new additions and will begin to believe again...sucked right back in and then promptly die in the 1st rnd. I really really pretty please want to believe there will be some change at the top of the roster but I can see the leafs re-signing Marner long term and re-upping Tavares, therefore keepin this core together til they retire. That got dark fast :(

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well I think it might have been Broudreau but he mentioned the Leafs PP doesn't move the puck enough, so the opposition sets up and never needs to scranble.

I've said this for years, Marner gets the puck and instead of moving it fast, he acts like he's Tom Brady waiting for a goal scoring play that has to come off his stick. Instead of getting the opposition moving with quick passes.
I hope the PP going forward has a net presence, they need a big body to stand in front of the net, perhaps Reeves can fill that need……..

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I would be stunned if they actually did that. I think this is most likely posturing. Doesn't do the team any favours to be encouraging the idea that Marner is freely available, better to keep it murky so Seattle/Utah/Nashville/whoever feels they have to offer an appropriate package to get it done.
:crossfing

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'm pretty sure you're floating up Denial River without a paddle. But I'm sure your income depends on it.
Don't know what the f*** u are talking about but that goes with most of your posts.

I agree with the bolded ..We tried it with this bunch and it didnt work. its done. Move on.

Adapt or die
57 years dude. Some of us have the stones to grind year over year and we know that nothing we think or say will mean much . We just hope for the best.

Reactions: Confucius

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Don't know what the f*** u are talking about but that goes with most of your posts.

57 years dude. Some of us have the stones to grind year over year and we know that nothing we think or say will mean much . We just hope for the best.
I mean I thought that was a given. Does anyone in this forum really think that what they say in here will make a difference to the actual running of the team?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
If this team gets a goalie, everyone loves the players after. It's the missing ingredient to winning in the playoffs.

Marner the last 3 years in the playoffs:

Pts. per game: 15th among all forwards (82 point season pace)
+/- season pace: +36

Marner ranked 8th in the regular season for points/gp over the 3 years and a +21 average per season.

Panarin the last 3 years in the playoffs:

Pts. per game: 30th among all forwards (64 point season pace)
+/- season pace: -20

Panarin ranked 6th in the regular season for points/gp over the 3 years and a +14 average per season.

He's not the only Ranger that should be buying Shesterkin drinks the rest of his life either......

Reactions: Smif

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Everybody seems very sure Marner is going to waive, I think he might but I'm not sure he's going to

Also all this were going to make his life miserable so he will waive stuff is pretty questionable

It can also make him dig in and give everybody a good old fashioned **** you if you try that

he's gonna look like this even outside the penalty box

niw99k9osq271.jpg

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If this team gets a goalie, everyone loves the players after. It's the missing ingredient to winning in the playoffs.

Marner the last 3 years in the playoffs:

Pts. per game: 15th among all forwards (82 point season pace)
+/- season pace: +36

Marner ranked 8th in the regular season for points/gp over the 3 years and a +21 average per season.

Panarin the last 3 years in the playoffs:

Pts. per game: 30th among all forwards (64 point season pace)
+/- season pace: -20

Panarin ranked 6th in the regular season for points/gp over the 3 years and a +14 average per season.

He's not the only Ranger that should be buying Shesterkin drinks the rest of his life either......
Lol... first. Panarin will be 32 at the end of this year, Marner 27. One is in the middle of their prime. the other at the end.

One played on Columbus where the 2nd most point producing forward had 48 points lol. The other has played with nothing but elite centers in their primes. Marner has played with Matthews the last 4ish years...a first overall center in his prime, whose won the rocket numerous times, the lindsay once and nominated twice, and was a finalist for the Selke. That center also produced something around 40% more g/60 and p/60 with Marner off his line this season than he did with Marner on his line.

Now compare cap hit % over the course of their careers.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
He had 94 points in the final year of his ELC. We thought he was going to be something he hasn't turned into. He hasn't lived up to that contract at all and it's undeniable. 99 points is not enough to be paid 1.6M less than McDavid.

With this trajectory we were expecting 130+ points. He plateaued pretty hard and this is now who he is. Too bad. We don't need you for that money. If you want a pay cut to where you deserve to be we'd take you back. But otherwise don't let the door hit you on the way out.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He had 94 points in the final year of his ELC. We thought he was going to be something he hasn't turned into. He hasn't lived up to that contract at all and it's undeniable. 99 points is not enough to be paid 1.6M less than McDavid.

With this trajectory we were expecting 130+ points. He plateaued pretty hard and this is now who he is. Too bad. We don't need you for that money. If you want a pay cut to where you deserve to be we'd take you back. But otherwise don't let the door hit you on the way out.

it's not even the point totals it's that he has added NOTHING to his game

he still can't shoot and score goals

he still hasn't added any weight or strength, and is therefore relegated to being a perimeter player in the playoffs especially

in fact in many respects he's regressing

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I would trade Marner for EP. Would be cheeper, and probably with a higher playoff upside in two years. Being a C helps to. And would help as much or almost as much in the regular season.
run 29 - 40 - 88 as the Swedish Delight line.

Tavares moves to 3C where he can probably stay beyond this season on a hometown discount.

The Arizona boys on the first line.

I would be onboard with this.

Reactions: ZEBROA

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
He’s going to quite easily become the highest or second to Matthews in points in maple leaf history. I don’t like it but I bet the leafs end up giving him whatever he wants. It’s a real shame he got paid so much last time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad