Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
“Swiss army knife”. Give me a break and yes he is decent when the games are easy but when the grind starts he stops.
He does some dipsy doodles and fancy edge work but he certainly isn’t a clutch player
Calm down man I'm just trying to figure out the scale here

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Some still think letting Marner walk for nothing is a solution. Wow.
Signing Marner absent an immediate adequate trade opens up other possibilities. You just can't see it and waive everyone off as if they're idiots. There is always a move to make if you don't blow up the chessboard.

I don't propose a solution. I propose a likely scenario absent a blockbuster trade.
Well, you used the word solution but OK. And if you put it that way (scenario, not solution) then you might be right. I mean none of us can know that Shanahan or whoever else is thinking but if Marner refuses to waive it's possible that resigning him is what will happen. If it was me, no way in hell I would do that (unless he crushes it in the playoffs next year) but it could happen, no doubt about it.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
He's that guy, you know Kevin!
images

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Ask yourself honestly: would you waive if you were Marner or would you take things to free agency? In the end, he earned that option. If I'm getting grief from management and fans, I'm saying f it, let's see what the end of next season brings. Last season was the lost opportunity when they had partial control over Nylander and they sat on it. I love both players btw, I'm not commenting on anything except the business side.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Time will tell whether this is the case or not.

I personally have a very hard time believing that an organization that has bent over backwards since forever for these guys and catered to their every need, all of a sudden having the stomach to make things uncomfortable enough that he'd want to waive his NMC.

I just don't think that front office has that ruthlessness in them.
Shanahan’s job is on the line, that’s the difference. It’s throwing people under the bus time now for shanny

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For some reason I couldn't stop reflecting on the fact he threw his gloves in the direction of one of the trainers. Someone told me before I was married , you can save yourself a lot of headaches if you watch how your date/girl treats people she thinks is lower than her in the social hierarchy. I avoided head cases by simply bringing her to dinner and watching how she treated the wait staff, one and done for a few of them. You don't get much more disrespectful than what Marner did towards that invisible guy standing behind him... pretty douchie TBH.

Nylander said something like, Stop crying, it's not Junior.
Yep the glove throwing was a little immature no doubt. This stuff happens though, guys slam doors, break sticks, etc.
None of it is a good look.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd put the chances pretty low of a trade. There are simply way too many checkmarks the trade has to fulfill.

1) Marner has to decide that it is in his best interest - he will want to benefit from this trade. IE a Willie type contact, plus, plus.
2) Treliving has to get good value for one of the most productive wingers in hockey. Outside of a couple of players, our farm system is shit and our near future draft picks options are shit, this is not a cap dump for future considerations.
3) The "new" team has to have NHL ready assets and cap space to sign Marner and probably be willing to sign him long term.
4) Probably fair to say the Leafs are not looking for a forward to replace Marner, the other team needs to have an elite Dman or an elite goalie, that they are willing to part with. Likely the Leafs want the player to be in his prime 25 to 29 years old. How many teams have two elite #1 Goalies they they are willing to part with? How many teams have good to very good dmen - probably Right side d-men - that they are willing to part with.
5) Every team knows the Leafs want to make changes, no team is going to help the Leafs, every team will offer pennies on the dollar for Mitch.

I think the core five will be back again next year, simply because no team will pay a reasonable price for Mitch.
I don't think it's that complicated, at least it doesn't have to be. Change the assumption that we need "good value" to say that we'll take whatever the best offer happens to be, and all of a sudden it's a lot less complicated. Even as a rental he's gotta be worth a couple of 1st round picks and if that's the best offer, I have zero problem taking it. 11 million in cap space, yum! :)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I agree but if I said the same thing during a MM hot streak, I get booed out of the thread, lol.
It works both ways.
I don't think so. Like I said, no player brings everything but some do bring more than others.
Matthews would have the most tools, followed by Marner and Nylander, IMO.

Ask yourself honestly: would you waive if you were Marner or would you take things to free agency? In the end, he earned that option. If I'm getting grief from management and fans, I'm saying f it, let's see what the end of next season brings. Last season was the lost opportunity when they had partial control over Nylander and they sat on it. I love both players btw, I'm not commenting on anything except the business side.
I think he tries to flip the narrative. I also understand I may be wrong in thinking that.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Well they ran out if patience with Dubas, then Keefe, it’s only logical that they’ll move pieces if the core since that’s the only thing that hasn’t been changed………
It's perfectly logical.

And completely out of their hands as to whether they actually can, given the NMCs

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
LOL, too bad he wasn't he might treat him with a little more respect. I think Mitch is an arrogant entitled child that thinks he is better than most people and treats people who he thinks are not his equals like shit.

Not sure I'd go that far, but it wouldn't be out of imagination that he's entitled.

From everything we've heard, he was the center of his father's universe.

Being a parent is easy, being a good parent isn't.

At least, as far as we know, he doesn't have Jack Johnson type of parents.

He'll be re-signed, but Tavares contract might be difficult. Kind of wondering if going to the World's is Tavares auditioning for his next team?

Reactions: Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Shanahan’s job is on the line, that’s the difference. It’s throwing people under the bus time now for shanny
The same man that has caved to their every demand, and hitched his wagon to these guys for over half a decade, is now going to turn around and tell them to "get out of town?"

I fully agree that it's what should happen. I'm just not convinced it will - I don't think they have it in them.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd waive if I was asked to do so for the simple reason that it sucks to be somewhere where you're wanted, and also somewhere where frankly things haven't gone so well lately. He has power/leverage so he can use that to provide a short list of teams where he would be OK going to, and he can also decide if he wants to be extended now, or wants to become UFA.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Like to see him carry his own line.
He's staying and he'll be re-signed.

He'll be playing with Matthews

He's a setup guy, who can score 30, and Matthews is a shooter.
Matthews produced better (with Bertuzzi and Domi) without Marner, both goals and points. If all three of Nylander, Marner and Matthews were as good as their contracts indicate, not to mention Tavares, they should be in the 120 point range.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
There's an argument to be made that him playing out the final year of his deal here putting up 100+ points playing with Matthews + PP1, and riding that into free agency, nets him a much bigger deal when there's more teams interested in his services as a UFA than there is now with a sign & trade situation.

That to me seems the most likely scenario of how this plays out - I think it's upto the Leafs to make him uncomfortable enough to want to leave, and I just don't think they are designed to do that. They don't have that ruthlessness in them.
perhaps Berube will depoly Marner differently than Keefe did, maybe he's on the 2nd or 3rd line, maybe he sees less pp time...............

Reactions: myleafs and horner

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I am hating all these articles and insiders now saying….lets see what happens with marner and he may not go and they should run it back with berube.

I swear if this happens again with no trades to the core and especially marner then I will be livid.

Reactions: therealkoho

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I am hating all these articles and insiders now saying….lets see what happens with marner and he may not go and they should run it back with berube.

I swear if this happens again with no trades to the core and especially marner then I will be livid.
The same people who say run it back with a new coach will be the first to blame the new coach if we get the same results.

I don’t know players think the media is tough, you can literally get away with most anything if you have skill in Toronto.
Skill > accountability.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If Marner goes to UFA, hes looking at 7 years instead of 8. 7 year contract takes him to 35 years old. If Maple Leafs decide to go with Matthews as the 2nd A and no more rotation. What if Marner has a serious injury, or the pressure gets him and he hits a long cold streak? Depending how Berube warms to him, he could see his PK time go down, possibly his PP, and also his time with Matthews. If he has a 75-80 point season... and suddenly he may be only looking at 10 million in 7 years. Instead of 11-12 million per for 8 years.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Matthews produced better (with Bertuzzi and Domi) without Marner, both goals and points. If all three of Nylander, Marner and Matthews were as good as their contracts indicate, not to mention Tavares, they should be in the 120 point range.

120 price point for 100 pt production. Less comparable playoff output. The only one of our 4 top paid players in line is Matthews for goal production. Less than adequate playoff output, but you could argue perhaps that Marner was holding him back by being a non factor.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

And....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad