Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Don't Trade Marner!!! But it is not what you think. A trade is potentially a much less desirable option than waiting out the year, letting him walk, and taking the 11 million to the incredible UFA market next year.

Hear me out. A trade is with one team, and it is a compromised situation. Marner has to approve, which is a major restriction of choice. I can't think of one trade now that matches the potential of people who could be available next summer, since it is an open market, not based on one team. Yes, some will sign with their current team -- and some won't.

Here are some names that could be out there in 2025: Mikko Rantanen, Sidney Crosby, Leon Draisaitl (!), Brent Burns, Victor Hedman, Aaaron Ekblad, Brad Marchand (also !!, but old..), Igor Shesterkin, Travis Konecny, Shea Theodore, Juusi Saros, Linus Ullmark, Jakob Chychrun, Sam Bennett, Carter Verhaeghe, Jake Oettinger, Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard, Bowen Byram, Alexis LaFreniere, etc -- just to list some names, not that I like them all. It is choice.

Being patient could pay off....
The contract for Matthews starts this season. The clock is ticking. You want to take advantage of some UFAs this year and then 11 million from Tavares next year. You’d also like to get something for Marner if possible, even if it’s 1st round pick and A level prospect. We need cap space, UFAs, goalie, D and young Knies type prospects + picks in the system.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Not really. He has yet to make 100 points playing with one of the best goal scorers ever and being given the best opportunity of PP time.
We have to stop over valuing players.
He is a decent player when the games are going easy but goes missing when the going gets tough. In no world is he worth what he is going to want on his next contract.
A 90 point Swiss army knife is only "a decent player?"

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I think he's a limited function Swiss Army knife.

He's:
1716393915001.png

He's not:
1716393946201.png

He doesn't have a physical game.
He doesn't do faceoffs.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
His "real value" is what the market pays him - and I suspect several teams will still be willing to pay him top dollar if he hits free agency.

This idea that he plays out the year in a miserable & toxic environment, gets pushed out the door next summer, and then is forced to settle for a 7 year x $8m deal because that's the best he can get now, is insane.
I agree he shouldn't play here next year. He should waive for his own good.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I remember it happening quite clearly, I didnt see the start of it, but did see Marner throw his gloves. So what was actually said, who started what?
Nylander and Matthews were arguing about Nylander not running the set play they wanted to execute on the PP.
Didn't have anything to do with Marner by all accounts.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nylander and Matthews were arguing about Nylander not running the set play they wanted to execute on the PP.
Didn't have anything to do with Marner by all accounts.

That seems weird, optically.

They're arguing and Marner randomly throws gloves?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I remember it happening quite clearly, I didnt see the start of it, but did see Marner throw his gloves. So what was actually said, who started what?

It's like a Podcast.

You can make up anything from a morsel of truth.

marner was upset.
Matthews was beaking off about some play that didn't go like he wanted.
Nylander (and this surprised me) said something about not being juniors and to shoot the f'ing puck.

Still thinking about it, out of those 3 Nylander told them to grow up. Perhaps a voice that should be heard more often. The BOP needs to shift. (Berube should be the power.)

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

For some reason I couldn't stop reflecting on the fact he threw his gloves in the direction of one of the trainers. Someone told me before I was married , you can save yourself a lot of headaches if you watch how your date/girl treats people she thinks is lower than her in the social hierarchy. I avoided head cases by simply bringing her to dinner and watching how she treated the wait staff, one and done for a few of them. You don't get much more disrespectful than what Marner did towards that invisible guy standing behind him... pretty douchie TBH.

Nylander said something like, Stop crying, it's not Junior.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I agree he shouldn't play here next year. He should waive for his own good.
There's an argument to be made that him playing out the final year of his deal here putting up 100+ points playing with Matthews + PP1, and riding that into free agency, nets him a much bigger deal when there's more teams interested in his services as a UFA than there is now with a sign & trade situation.

That to me seems the most likely scenario of how this plays out - I think it's upto the Leafs to make him uncomfortable enough to want to leave, and I just don't think they are designed to do that. They don't have that ruthlessness in them.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Just that he seemed to think they were picking on Mitch, I thought that maybe he knew something nobody else did.

For some reason I couldn't stop reflecting on the fact he threw his gloves in the direction of one of the trainers. Someone told me before I was married , you can save yourself a lot of headaches if you watch how your date/girl treats people she thinks is lower than her in the social hierarchy. I avoided head cases by simply bringing her to dinner and watching how she treated the wait staff, one and done for a few of them. You don't get much more disrespectful than what Marner did towards that invisible guy standing behind him... pretty douchie TBH.

Nylander said something like, Stop crying, it's not Junior.
You think Mitch is dating the trainer?

Nylander and Matthews were both leaning forward and Mitch was leaning back

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
In a best case scenario we trade Marner + get good value in the trade and sign Reinhart to replace him.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
“Swiss army knife”. Give me a break and yes he is decent when the games are easy but when the grind starts he stops.
He does some dipsy doodles and fancy edge work but he certainly isn’t a clutch player

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad