Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Because it’s the Leafs. Just when I think they finally get it, they don’t. Much like their playoff constructed team.

Willy makes 11.5 and no way Marner takes less than that. No doubt he would be looking between Matthews and Nylander contract. 12.5.

I wouldn’t pay it, I would trade him as soon as he waives, or not re-sign him if he refuses. If he refuses, I would fill out the roster this year with 1 million dollar grinders, get my one higher priced D or goalie acquisition and play it out getting 22 million gone next year.

Again, this is the Leafs. I will believe it when it’s announced in trade center.
He should not see any time on PP1 if he refuses to waive. Ferris can then find out how many GMs are lining up to pay him $13m+.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why the heck would we be offering 12.5m to stay. He is a toxic asset here with no fan support and taking the lions share of the blame for the failed core.

He is going to be lucky to get WN money in the US. Do you honestly think GMs don't see his PO pedigree? I know some GMs see a buy low opportunity on a good regular season player that can help a team get into POs but outside that the emperor wears no clothes, he's exposed.
The fact that anyone would want to pay a proven playoff loser that much money only goes to show just how far out of touch with reality they are.

12.5m, holy smokes. What is this guy smoking?

Love the snarky new thread title. The butthurt is strong in the Marner Lovers, Rocket Security, and the MAF Foundation.
I still can't get over how hilarious this thread is. The guy who was relentlessly mocking everyone suggesting trading Marner with the snarky/arrogant "you know he has a NMC right?" comments actually starts a thread about trading him.

It's a bit silly to say the same thing every day but since OP is begging for it, I will make him happy:
I hope Marner is traded and the sooner the better.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
OK I will bite, who is offering $13mm+x8? You can bet your life Leafs are not offering 12.5m.
Same shit was said when I said the Leafs should have offered 8.5mm a year before Marner signed his contract because they risked a 10mm+ contract. The mewling I heard about how he wasn't worth signing at that price.
I'd rather bet your life than mine.

Why the heck would we be offering 12.5m to stay. He is a toxic asset here with no fan support and taking the lions share of the blame for the failed core.

He is going to be lucky to get WN money in the US. Do you honestly think GMs don't see his PO pedigree? I know some GMs see a buy low opportunity on a good regular season player that can help a team get into POs but outside that the emperor wears no clothes, he's exposed.
Let's revisit later and see who is right.

Reactions: Confucius

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Countdown: 40 days until July 1st. We should start to get a better idea if this team really is changing or just snake oil.
As I’ve said, if Marner isn’t traded sometime in July, the run it back crowd can pop up from the weeds again.

Then if we can’t get by the 1st round again, looks like Berube’s first year for the blame.

Last edited:

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He had a rough series this year and overall in his career hasn't been as effective as you would like in the playoffs but saying he's useless is quite an exaggeration. He has 50 pts in 57 playoff games, not great for someone like him but also not terrible.
He’s terrible in the playoffs. Of those 50 points, how many were big moment goals/assist?

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
His stat-line for playoff goals as a soon to be 100M offensive winger
2024 - 1G in 7 games (no impact on outcome)
2023 - 3G in 11 games (good Tampa series, non-factor against Florida)
2022 - 2G (scored in game 1 and game 2) in 7 games
2021 - 0G in 7 games
2020 - 0G in 5 games
2019 - 2G (both in game 1) in 7 games

That's enough.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
So don't extend him. It's a put up or shut up year. Then the Marner camp will realize his REAL VALUE.
His "real value" is what the market pays him - and I suspect several teams will still be willing to pay him top dollar if he hits free agency.

This idea that he plays out the year in a miserable & toxic environment, gets pushed out the door next summer, and then is forced to settle for a 7 year x $8m deal because that's the best he can get now, is insane.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
His "real value" is what the market pays him - and I suspect several teams will still be willing to pay him top dollar if he hits free agency.

This idea that he plays out the year in a miserable & toxic environment, gets pushed out the door next summer, and then is forced to settle for a 7 year x $8m deal because that's the best he can get now, is insane.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if in a contract year with us he knocked it out of the park, 100-120 pts and then makes you question extending him.

Reactions: Tak7

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Countdown: 40 days until July 1st. We should start to get a better idea if this team really is changing or just snake oil.
As I’ve said, if Marner isn’t traded sometime in July, the run it back crowd can pop up from the weeds again.

Then if we can’t get by the 1st round again, looks like Berube’s first year for the blame.
They've already shown by changing the Coach that they aren't 'running it back'.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I wouldn't be surprised at all if in a contract year with us he knocked it out of the park, 100-120 pts and then makes you question extending him.

The only thing that will make us question extending him is if he actually shows up in the playoffs. No one cares anymore in this org about how many meaningless regular season points he can put up.

It shouldn’t even get to that. If this club is serious about anything being on the table, he shouldn’t be a Leaf to begin with come October.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Love the snarky new thread title. The butthurt is strong in the Marner Lovers, Rocket Security, and the MAF Foundation.

That's what happens when people are intimately involved in a situation.
The fact that anyone would want to pay a proven playoff loser that much money only goes to show just how far out of touch with reality they are.

12.5m, holy smokes. What is this guy smoking?

I still can't get over how hilarious this thread is. The guy who was relentlessly mocking everyone suggesting trading Marner with the snarky/arrogant "you know he has a NMC right?" comments actually starts a thread about trading him.

It's a bit silly to say the same thing every day but since OP is begging for it, I will make him happy:
I hope Marner is traded and the sooner the better.

The guy went off and got married. He came back slower than ever in pre. Had a rough start, picked up and laid another egg in the POs. Then you have to endure is blame game while shedding responsibility. The dudes a highly privileged headcase in my unprofessional opinion. Watching him avoid all contact and potential plays die because someone looks at him cross. Crying in the box and tossing gloves. Ffs enough is enough show him the door.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
He's never hit 100 points.

He's absolutely guaranteed to hit 100 pts if he's here next year - time to lay that bet heavy.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Listening to Biz the other day, I think he might be on to something.

Marner on a contract year might go en fuego. He's all about Money and his next contract so I can totally see him giving us the best effort he's ever given us.

But do we risk him going into UFA and lose him for nothing?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Marner on a contract year might go en fuego. He's all about Money and his next contract so I can totally see him giving us the best effort he's ever given us.

Bird in hand is greater than a 10.9 in the bush.

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
Don't Trade Marner!!! But it is not what you think. A trade is potentially a much less desirable option than waiting out the year, letting him walk, and taking the 11 million to the incredible UFA market next year.

Hear me out. A trade is with one team, and it is a compromised situation. Marner has to approve, which is a major restriction of choice. I can't think of one trade now that matches the potential of people who could be available next summer, since it is an open market, not based on one team. Yes, some will sign with their current team -- and some won't.

Here are some names that could be out there in 2025: Mikko Rantanen, Sidney Crosby, Leon Draisaitl (!), Brent Burns, Victor Hedman, Aaaron Ekblad, Brad Marchand (also !!, but old..), Igor Shesterkin, Travis Konecny, Shea Theodore, Juusi Saros, Linus Ullmark, Jakob Chychrun, Sam Bennett, Carter Verhaeghe, Jake Oettinger, Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard, Bowen Byram, Alexis LaFreniere, etc -- just to list some names, not that I like them all. It is choice.

Being patient could pay off....

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That’s still running it back to me. Yeah you put a new band aid on a wound that needs 50 stitches. Great, you’re right, you changed the band aid. All good.
It's more like they brought in a new Doctor because the old one couldn't heal the wound.

He's always given consistent effort.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Don't Trade Marner!!! But it is not what you think. A trade is potentially a much less desirable option than waiting out the year, letting him walk, and taking the 11 million to the incredible UFA market next year.

Hear me out. A trade is with one team, and it is a compromised situation. Marner has to approve, which is a major restriction of choice. I can't think of one trade now that matches the potential of people who could be available next summer, since it is an open market, not based on one team. Yes, some will sign with their current team -- and some won't.

Here are some names that could be out there in 2025: Mikko Rantanen, Sidney Crosby, Leon Draisaitl (!), Brent Burns, Victor Hedman, Aaaron Ekblad, Brad Marchand (also !!, but old..), Igor Shesterkin, Travis Konecny, Shea Theodore, Juusi Saros, Linus Ullmark, Jakob Chychrun, Sam Bennett, Carter Verhaeghe, Jake Oettinger, Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard, Bowen Byram, Alexis LaFreniere, etc -- just to list some names, not that I like them all. It is choice.

Being patient could pay off....

Ugh. He could come out hot for 60% of the season and then say. Screw you I am not waiving at all and jam us with nothing. If this organization did that just fold up. Close the doors because its too stupid to exist.

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017

This is NOT losing him for nothing. This is a better outcome than trading him. You get 11 million to work with on a very strong UFA market in 2025, potentially. Many top goalies, defensemen, and forwards. If you trade him, it is just with one team now.

Ugh. He could come out hot for 60% of the season and then say. Screw you I am not waiving at all and jam us with nothing. If this organization did that just fold up. Close the doors because its too stupid to exist.
It's not for nothing. People had to stop saying that. Its 11 million dollars on a very strong UFA market, better than the trade market now. Everybody: think this through...

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This is NOT losing him for nothing. This is a better outcome than trading him. You get 11 million to work with on a very strong UFA market in 2025, potentially. Many top goalies, defensemen, and forwards. If you trade him, it is just with one team now.

It's not for nothing. People had to stop saying that. Its 11 million dollars on a very strong UFA market, better than the trade market now. Everybody: think this through...
If you really want to gamble that the guys you want will be available next summer you could trade Marner for picks/prospects.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Might as well ask for 13.293 so hecan be the highest paid player in the league. Yup don't bet your life on it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's more like they brought in a new Doctor because the old one couldn't heal the wound.

He's always given consistent effort.
3 years ago, I would have agreed. For me now, the patient is dead.
This is still run it back to me. If I’m the only one that thinks a new coach and same core isn’t running it back, so be it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

You're spending 50million on that experiment. I count the obvious loss of all the contracts i have to pay to AM and WN with zero hope of success. That matters

Sorry sooner move on and get value back. Have a kick at the can then a wasted year of watching spinny twirl around doing nothing towards winning.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad