Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Oh I don't know if he would waive either, and that is his contractual right. His money will go pretty far in Utah though and I'm approximately 127% sure that is very important to this player.

...if they try sending Alex f***ing Kerfoot back I will falsify his plane ticket and send him to Siberia.

I had braced for this upcoming season being a season for a retool and not for cup contention regardless of whther marner agrees to a trade or not so in my mind at least I am free... unlesss ShanaCON and Treliving do something stupid to "go for it" next season; which is absolutely stupid IMO without a solid #1G, #1D and Marner+Tavares making combined 22M in caphit

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Done:
40 Bay st, Toronto ont. 8 more years. Make it happen Tre. The sourness will be epic.
Haha, good one. You're right about the sourness being epic though, the only way it wouldn't be is if Marner kicked ass in the playoffs next spring which doesn't seem likely at this point to put it mildly.

TheGreenTBer

Generational Lesson Learner
Apr 30, 2021
I had braced for this upcoming season being a season for a retool and not for cup contention regardless of whther marner agrees to a trade or not so in my mind at least I am free... unlesss ShanaCON and Treliving do something stupid to "go for it" next season; which is absolutely stupid IMO without a solid #1G, #1D and Marner+Tavares making combined 22M in caphit
This really is a re-tool season tbh. Even if we can execute a Marner trade there's going to be money coming back in return, and Tavares' money is still on the books for another year. The goaltending situation needs to be rectified. The defense needs a retool. The forwards need depth, scoring and playoff compete. There are too many problems to fix, and not enough money to do so, in one offseason (unless you're the Senators and you have the "Summer of Pierre" apparently) so it will need to be done in stages.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Every team in the league who thinks they have a shot looks at rental trades. Hard part is making the right trade.

Moot point. He has to agree on the destination.
In the leafs case it’s correctly assessing if you actually have a shot

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Lol he ain't signing for 8 years with anyone, come on
1716220774875.gif

Watch the undies get all stirred up…

Haha, good one. You're right about the sourness being epic though, the only way it wouldn't be is if Marner kicked ass in the playoffs next spring which doesn't seem likely at this point to put it mildly.
Well for sure he won’t be kicking ass but picking up 15 assists definitely possible

TheGreenTBer

Generational Lesson Learner
Apr 30, 2021
View attachment 873510

Watch the undies get all stirred up…

Well for sure he won’t be kicking ass but picking up 15 assists definitely possible
He very well might get re-signed in Toronto against my will but I'm pretty confident he wouldn't accept 8 years unless the cap hit is Matthews-tier or more, and if this team re-signs Marner for that kind of contract you won't have to worry about reading my posts in here regardless.

Reactions: myleafs

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This really is a re-tool season tbh. Even if we can execute a Marner trade there's going to be money coming back in return, and Tavares' money is still on the books for another year. The goaltending situation needs to be rectified. The defense needs a retool. The forwards need depth, scoring and playoff compete. There are too many problems to fix, and not enough money to do so, in one offseason (unless you're the Senators and you have the "Summer of Pierre" apparently) so it will need to be done in stages.

the way I see it:

Option 1 (ideal)
- Marner is traded
- Youngsters (Knies, Cowen, Minten, McMann, Holmberg, etc.) get experience at the NHL level with the new coach. Berube instills some kind of structure and that would really start to pay dividends the following year
- Leafs continue to tinker line up and add #1G and #1D either this upcoming season or at least for the following season
- Then the following season Tavares' cap is off the books and then Leafs can do a proper "LOAD IT UP" and go for it the next 3 years (Matthews and Berube's duration) and hopefully we at least get one cup out of it

Option 2(Marner doesn't waive)
- Leafs have 4 forwards with 11AAV+ on the cap structure absolutely mental really to go for the cup (I mean if somehow magically Leafs win the cup all good but the management really shouldn't be looking to spend for next season IMO)
- Youngsters get experience (like above)
- Leafs continue to plan/tinker for #1G and #1D (ideally we see what we have in Woll in terms of #1G yay or nay)
- then you let Marner walk as a UFA with both Marner+JT off the cap (22M in cap hit) then you plan to do a proper "LOAD IT UP" and go for it the next 3 years

We MUST be prudent and not accelerate or change our thoughts for next season. We MUST exercise caution for next season in terms of what we should be doing. There are plenty of "scars" left by previous GM that MUST be undone and it will take time. Treliving can only put his stamp on teh team IMO after next season is done as Matthews and Nylander (new contracts) are his doing and whatever happens after Tavares+Marner are off the books are also his doing. He MUST exercise patience and caution.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He very well might get re-signed in Toronto against my will but I'm pretty confident he wouldn't accept 8 years unless the cap hit is Matthews-tier or more, and if this team re-signs Marner for that kind of contract you won't have to worry about reading my posts in here regardless.
Straw that breaks the camel’s back? That sucks but on we go, who you going to cheer for?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Excuse me? You think I am going to switch teams like a bitch? Never.

Actually, if they trade Marner, will you switch teams to that team? That's just as valid a question.
I’m not the one that said sorry you won’t have to read my post in here regardless.

I took that to me you were jumping ship.

Me I’d never leave I’ve seen this team finish dead last, miss the playoffs and have no high draft picks. This controversy is nothing

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Most GMs of playoff teams think they have a shot. They get overconfident in their teams.
Nobody has ever been as overconfident as Shanny and Dubas for those 5 years. Spending like drunken sailors at the TDL thinking they could win with this core. Nice to see Shanny humbled at the presser. Dubas can keep helping Pittsburgh finish out of the playoffs until he is fired.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Nobody has ever been as overconfident as Shanny and Dubas for those 5 years. Spending like drunken sailors at the TDL thinking they could win with this core. Nice to see Shanny humbled at the presser. Dubas can keep helping Pittsburgh finish out of the playoffs until he is fired.
Interesting to see what they do next spring with hardly any 2025 picks available to trade.

Reactions: ToneDog

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Brian Burke wanted to trade Kaberle and his agent was saying, no way, we signed a NMC! Burke responded saying, I'm not the one who gave it to you, provide a list of teams or you'll sit in the press box. Kaberle gave him 1 team, Boston. Burke got a 1st, and Joe Colborne who was a young prospect drafted in the 1st round.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner would look great as a predator. Fitting as well with how he victimized our cap.
I can hear it now after his give-away ends the Preds season….Hey Mitchy….. it’s all your fault…..we’re going to beat the heck out of you…just you….just you…

• Haha
Reactions: thewave

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Mrazek, Murray and Samsonov for goaltenders...Malgin and Petan for dominant forwards...elite "filling around the margins" moves by Dubas...that'll win us the Cup...:sarcasm:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Hyman 5 goals in 32 games with Leafs - 24 goals in 38 games with Edmonton. Could it be coaching and asssignments?

Kadri 3 goals 19 games Leafs, 16 goals 33 games Col., who knew?

Bertuzzi 5 goals 7 games Boston, next season 1 goal 7 games Leafs
If you play with good players you tend produce.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I never understood the idea that this guy wouldn't wave his no-trade clause, wasn't he on the brink of demanding a trade when Babcock had him write the list? I remember his agent walked him back if I am not mistaken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad