Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018

This should go over well. :laugh:
Bettman at the draft: we have a trade to announce. Toronto has traded Mitch…

Tre: Sorry Gary we’re going to pull the trade. Mitch likes to texts one of our prospects and we’re going to run it back.

f*** outta here with your validation.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
They can’t play outside their comfort zone, so a coach must tailor the game to their style not some preconceived notion on how a playoff game should be played. I agree if people don’t want a player because he doesn’t fit their way of thinking on how the game should be played, move on. Don’t be shocked when they perform like stars somewhere else.

the issue is marner is not having such "big star" like performance with the Leafs. And its not a one off either. There is 8 years of evidence of it. Marner is not going to get any younger, physically stronger, or even worse mentally stronger. He is a mental midget, money hungry and weak perimeter player.

I will do a count of how he played under Keefe at least

CBJ
- Sucked ass, continuously turnover the puck at the offensive blue line didn't spend even one shift away from Matthews
- Perimeter softass hockey from marner

Habs
- afraid of getting hit threw the puckout giving habs a 5 on 3
- game 7: game was tied and he tries to play fancy BS hockey again turnsover the puck at the offensive blue line, habs pounce on the opportunity and score the goal taking the momentum and win the series.
- marner wasn't away for even one shift from matthews

Bolts
- sucked as AGAIN. His "scoring" was in the first 2 games and then he basically vanished
- btw... did not play even one shift away from matthews

Bolts/Florida:

- Bolts again -> Leafs finally sperate matthews and marner; matthews/rielly go super saiyan and tavares score Game 6 OT winner (if Vasy didn't suck ass in this series; Leafs probably done in firstround again).

- Flordia: -> again plays like a MORON; gives away the puck in the d-zone after the team had scored a goal; playing fancy micky-mouse hockey (matthews wasn't in position to reciveve that pass) florida scores and gains momentum. For some reason against florida matthews-marner are never seprated (absolute JOKE!)

Bruins (this season)
- Do you really want me to repeat how he played this season? it should be fresh in your memory
"Perimeter softass hockey from marner" AGAIN!

He can be a "star" or whatever with soneone else; I think I've seen enough of Marner to know this dude cannot elevate the game in playoffs, on the contrary plays soft and his play is actually detrimental to the Leafs; more importantly he takes a huge chunk of salary cap pie which leafs can allocate at other important positions and have team balance that can perform in the post season

/rant

Yes thats how PISSED I am at marner

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
@PromisedLand

Pretty much. With CBJ he is still pretty young and I wasn't ready to give up. Habs? That was the end of it. Should have been traded.

I always wanted a defender from his pick as well. There was a trade option that year where we could have grabbed a good defender and also forward by trading down. Barzal and Werenski I think?

It was floated here. I know that

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I find it hard to believe all the players go into a funk every year. But they seem to do alright once they leave.

Well mgmt must think it was the coach. They must be pretty close to what was happening. Why fire the coach if it was the players.

which players are you talking about man

- Kessel?
he wasn't "the guy" and played behind Crosby and Malkin, moreoveer the moron called dubas retained 2M AAV in a trade so basically Kessel was a 6 AAV guy for the pens

-Bozak?
He won the cup with the blues but he also wasn't "the guy"; he played on their 4th line btw....

- Kadri?
He was always the performner he was misused in Toronto IMO; Naz IS THE MAN; Leafs need players of his ilk. He was my fav Leaf when he played here. The return we got for Kadri is once again on that MORON dubas

- Marchment?
Once again the MORON dubas traded him for effing Malgins and change, there were fans who were up in arms over that trade but they were "cancelled" and "disciplined" because the overlord dubas couldn't do wrong. The Leafs twitter was blocking every account that called out dubas too btw...

Who else did the leafs let walk or traded that has had a huge impact? Players like Marner are NOT going to be "THE GUY" they are complimentary players who may produce down the depth chart playing with in your face kinda players who protect him; and Marner isn't Gretzky where Leafs gotta keep him.

The notion that Marner is some kind of savior needs to go away. He SUCKS for the amount of money he makes i.e. the big piece of salary cap pie he takes

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Every team in the league who thinks they have a shot looks at rental trades. Hard part is making the right trade.

Moot point. He has to agree on the destination.
Yup. Not much point in thinking about what a good destination would be because from my POV, it's as simple as this - any destination Marner agrees to is a good destination. :)

TheGreenTBer

Generational Lesson Learner
Apr 30, 2021
Trotz gonna be fine with someone like marner? the dude's gotta be hoodwinked to take marner LOL
Marner is a perfect fit anywhere he can get a reset and help a team make it to the playoffs without feeling hometown pressure or the bright lights.

He could, and would, shine in that hypothetical environment, wherever that happens to be.

EDIT: edited for clarity

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Marner is a perfect fit anywhere he can get a reset and help a team make it to the playoffs without feeling hometown pressure or the bright lights.

He could, and would, shine in that environment.

I wonder how ROR and Schenn feel about that. They weren't too ummm... uppity about the Leafs playoff performance/mindset in their exit interviews from what I recall :laugh:

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I wonder how ROR and Schenn feel about that. They weren't too ummm... uppity about the Leafs playoff performance/mindset in their exit interviews from what I recall :laugh:
I'm not saying Nashville specifically, I was more speaking in general.

I still think Utah or Seattle are perfect fits.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

He could, and would, shine in that environment.

I'm not saying Nashville specifically, I was more speaking in general.

I still think Utah or Seattle are perfect fits.
Yes exactly! Put him anywhere where his job is to help the team win during the regular season, be entertaining and help sell tickets without the pressure that comes with being on a team expected to contend for the cup and he is unlikely to disappoint. Kids a great player and fun to watch as long as there is no pressure.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Confusius this is your tenth post trying to pretend fans want to fire everybody. No one is calling for Matthews to go, he is the best goal scorer and was able to take over a game and win it. No one is calling for Nylander to go, when he was playing, he was able to score and win game for us !

A coach that played Mitch 25min a game in playoffs and publicly apologized after a single instance of the mildest critique coach could possibly muster towards Mitch .

No one calling for everyone to go, but we need a locker room reset. Mitch showed nothing in the playoffs once again. JT is a dead weight but we expected that locking him long term as UFA. Both need to go, but at least JT goes to the net and does what needs to be done (admittedly not very effective at it at this stage ).

So yeah, at max we are talking two(2) playoff duds and $22M in cap space. Not fire everyone, but I see how that confuses you, considering how much cap these two take, one might call it fire the whole team ! ROFL :DD

Heart/commitment/effort is not the issue with JT IMO; its just that he is an aging asset who has declined quite siginificantly given his cap hit that is the drag/anchor. His skating was never that fast to begin with but it has gotten really bad; its almost like his hands/legs/body cannot keep up with his brain which is still thinking hockey at higher IQ.

I still recall Crosby's spittin' chicklets interview where Sid said that he puts in extra work in the summer just for his skating to keep up with the speed of the game as he is aging its getting harder. But Crosby is a freak of nature dude is still producing LOL

Regardless, Tavares isn't getting another 11AAV contract; if wants to remain with toronto on a league minimum fine; and if not then good bye. Marner on the other hand will be looking for that home-run contract; as far as I am concerned that contract is not available from the Leafs. he can go seek that shit out from someone else.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yup. Not much point in thinking about what a good destination would be because from my POV, it's as simple as this - any destination Marner agrees to is a good destination. :)
Except Nashville…..that’s punishing me for no reason. :)

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Yes exactly! Put him anywhere where his job is to help the team win during the regular season, be entertaining and help sell tickets without the pressure that comes with being on a team expected to contend for the cup and he is unlikely to disappoint. Kids a great player and fun to watch as long as there is no pressure.
Exactly.

He's a regular season dynamo. He'd be happy and successful for a franchise that has a different history and lower expectations than this one does. But, no offense to Utah, we ain't an "expansion" franchise. This organization generates too much revenue and has too many fans for repetitive playoff failure like this to be acceptable.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Who knows, maybe they’ll think they can help Marner mature away from the spotlight in a different organization?

The money piece is actually something I’m very curious about. Marner is a superstar with multiple 90 point seasons, PK work, yada yada. But he has no personal awards, has never broken 100 points, doesn’t have a 40 goal season, never done jack in the playoffs… that doesn’t really scream $12.5 million or whatever has been reported. Will be interesting to see what the market tells him he’s worth.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Who knows, maybe they’ll think they can help Marner mature away from the spotlight in a different organization?

The money piece is actually something I’m very curious about. Marner is a superstar with multiple 90 point seasons, PK work, yada yada. But he has no personal awards, has never broken 100 points, doesn’t have a 40 goal season, never done jack in the playoffs… that doesn’t really scream $12.5 million or whatever has been reported. Will be interesting to see what the market tells him he’s worth.

If I am the other team invovled in trade negotiations I would throw in that Marner's production away from matthews is terrible. We don't have matthews caliber shooter so we expect marner's production to decline and don't value him as high as you are doing in a trade

but I really hope there is a sucker out there who thinks marner is a beast and does the trade and gives leafs quite a bit in return :laugh:

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
If I am the other team invovled in trade negotiations I would throw in that Marner's production away from matthews is terrible. We don't have matthews caliber shooter so we expect marner's production to decline and don't value him as high as you are doing in a trade

but I really hope there is a sucker out there who thinks marner is a beast and does the trade and gives leafs quite a bit in return :laugh:
Not all franchises have the expectations the Leafs do. Getting a touch of playoff revenue for Utah would be huge, for example. There's no expectations they are going to win in the playoffs anytime soon, it's perfect for him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

It only takes one idiot owner to pay someone more than they deserve, so that's one thing. I would also say that Marner is probably worth 12+ million to the right team. Now if we're talking teams that want to win the cup, that's another story and IMO it would be hard to find an owner and/or GM dumb enough to think that investing that much cap space in Marner would help win the cup. But interesting to see what he gets, absolutely. I haven't been this curious about the next contract since Kadri hit free agency after that monster year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Would he be willing to slot in at 9,016,000, between Forsberg and Josi?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not all franchises have the expectations the Leafs do. Getting a touch of playoff revenue for Utah would be huge, for example. There's no expectations they are going to win in the playoffs anytime soon, it's perfect for him.

First I don't know if Marner would waive for Utah

Second, I also don't know if Utah would commit significant amount already. Yotes had unpaid hotel bills so I don't know how that is going to play out; is Utah on the hook for those bills or previous Arizona owner takes on? I mean expenses are there on teh balance sheet of the business lol

I don't have any targets I like from Utah in terms of personnel (except may be Keller) which I doubt they would be willing to part with. There was an aritcle that had kerfoot back to the Leafs in a trade for marner I think on hocke writers whihch I thought was a huge JOKE

Weren't Hyman and Kadri on lines with Marner through most of their playoff time with the Leafs ?

under babock leafs mostly ran

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Komorov-Kadri-Brown

and then

Hyman-Matthews-Nyalnder
Marleau/Brown-Kadri-Marner

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27 and Cleetus

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
First I don't know if Marner would waive for Utah

Second, I also don't know if Utah would commit significant amount already. Yotes had unpaid hotel bills so I don't know how that is going to play out; is Utah on the hook for those bills or previous Arizona owner takes on? I mean expenses are there on teh balance sheet of the business lol
Oh I don't know if he would waive either, and that is his contractual right. His money will go pretty far in Utah though and I'm approximately 127% sure that is very important to this player.
I don't have any targets I like from Utah in terms of personnel (except may be Keller) which I doubt they would be willing to part with. There was an aritcle that had kerfoot back to the Leafs in a trade for marner I think on hocke writers whihch I thought was a huge JOKE
...if they try sending Alex f***ing Kerfoot back I will falsify his plane ticket and send him to Siberia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad