Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Just because another GM overpaid for him doesn’t mean he can’t improve under another coach. You assume getting rid of him will be addition by subtraction, and I really can’t see that. Unless we can get a solid top D or goalie, the team will be worse.
If we make the playoffs without him (which we will) then its at least even. Pretty low bar.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Treliving shouldn't consider anything until after the playoffs, just to be safe. l can't see Marner suddenly flipping a switch, contract year or not.
That’s why I think MM’s camp is best to move else where, where he can get his regular season stats and the team just miss the playoffs. Then there is no recency bias of playoffs failures to go against him on his new contract.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don't like this attitude. Marner has been atrocious in the playoffs and deserves blame. Not only has he been a negative offensively, his turnovers have directly lead to multiple back breaking goals against. He's had chance after chance after chance, and with all the pressure on him with Matthew's and Nylander missing games he scored 1 goal in the 3rd period when we were down 3. He's just not good in the playoffs. We must try something else before we go back to being .500 team. Mm is a playoff black hole.
One goal while down 3-0 with 14 mins left in the game (lost game 3-1), 1 assist which was a won faceoff which he passed the loose won puck to the defenseman. All in all, he made very little offensive impact in the series. If you didn't know anyone's contract and were watching the series, you certainly wouldn't think he was a top paid player.

Even watching that goal he scored, I'm not impressed. He takes the puck wide and throws it wildly to the front of the net where nobody is. Fortunately it lands on his defenseman's stick, which certainly wasn't Marners target. Eventually Marner picks up a blocked shot and pulls a between the legs play, goes to his knees and scores. It looks magical...but then you think about how top players don't need the highlight reel stuff to produce like Marner needs it. They just rip a shot top shelf, or with speed beat an opponent, or simply get a shot off quickly. Things Marner really cant do. It reminds me of watching a goalie make spectacular save after spectacular save and think wow what saves! But then see Carey Price, the best goalie in the world, never need to make a spectacular save because he's always in position and controls his rebounds.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
That’s why I think MM’s camp is best to move else where, where he can get his regular season stats and the team just miss the playoffs. Then there is no recency bias of playoffs failures to go against him on his new contract.

lt's a good idea in principle, but what will Paul think?

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Here’s a different question, what do you guys think we can get for MM in a trade? What are you going to do with the cap space ?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
lt's a good idea in principle, but what will Paul think?
MM staying means he is betting on himself to perform in the playoffs bc regardless of what MM stats in the coming season, Tre won’t be giving extension and will roll the dice after playoffs.
It comes down to how confidence is MM on betting on himself in the playoffs.
Bc I am 100% sure if MM had a great playoffs this past Spring, the extension is ready for signing on July 1. And MM and his camp knows it. But now he needs to bet on his next playoffs performance, he could avoid that by moving to another team.
I would move if I were him, as that the safer option.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Anyone watch the Dallas vs Colorado OT yesterday? It was like watching a season game on YouTube and changing setting to 1.2. Also were ALOT of cycles. Marner wouldn't looked like #@#$ in that game. He would've been coughing the puck up everywhere.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So the goal is to just make the playoffs now? Doubt it.
The question is not what happens after he is traded but rather can the team Win the Cup with MM or more importantly, can the team win the Cup with 3 forwards making a combine of 36mil?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
So the goal is to just make the playoffs now? Doubt it.
No, but that wasnt the topic...I responded to the notion that we are in danger of missing the playoffs or not being as successful without Marner on the team. I disagree. I think we make the playoffs without him....what happens after that is to be seen but without him we go at least as far as we did with him, so how important is Marner and his 11+ cap moving forward? I would even suggest we could use his money to patch some other areas of need that could make us better.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Just doing some homework

Utah is a landlocked state in the Mountain West subregion of the Western United States. It borders Colorado to its east, Wyoming to its northeast, Idaho to its north, Arizona to its south, and Nevada to its west. Utah also touches a corner of New Mexico in the southeast. Of the fifty U.S. states, Utah is the 13th-largest by area; with a population over three million, it is the 30th-most-populous and 11th-least-densely populated. Urban development is mostly concentrated in two areas: the Wasatch Front in the north-central part of the state, which is home to roughly two-thirds of the population and includes the capital city, Salt Lake City; and Washington County in the southwest, with more than 180,000 residents.[9] Most of the western half of Utah lies in the Great Basin.
I’ve been to Zion Nation Park and Bryce Canyon both beautiful spots in Utah, toured both on different days from Vegas, also did Death Valley California, anyone going to Vegas should check these tours out incredible scenery…….

Matthews and Marner for Makar and MacKinnon
Done and done……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This guy is making $11mil/year, why does he need a new coach to make him better? The sooner they move on from him the better
Indeed……

Maybe a new coach lets him play to his strengths, run and gun, rather than expecting him to be a bruising defensive man. As was previously stated allow players to play to their strengths. Not changing because it’s playoffs and all about D now. The real mystery is why do people complain where the offence went when the coach is stressing D.
If run and gun doesn’t work in the playoffs why play run and gun in the regular season? Leafs have done this for eight years with zero success…..

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What happens if we move Marner and we dont win the cup, whos fault will it be then?
Depends, if your a Dubas fan it’s Lou’s fault……..

Just because another GM overpaid for him doesn’t mean he can’t improve under another coach. You assume getting rid of him will be addition by subtraction, and I really can’t see that. Unless we can get a solid top D or goalie, the team will be worse.
No teams giving you a top D for one year of Mitchie……..

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I’ve been to Zion Nation Park and Bryce Canyon both beautiful spots in Utah, toured both on different days from Vegas, also did Death Valley California, anyone going to Vegas should check these tours out incredible scenery…….

Done and done……..
Absolutely an awesome area to check out. All of Utah's scenery is spectacular like nowhere else. So different from one place to the next/north to south. Blew my mind actually.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
MM staying means he is betting on himself to perform in the playoffs bc regardless of what MM stats in the coming season, Tre won’t be giving extension and will roll the dice after playoffs.
It comes down to how confidence is MM on betting on himself in the playoffs.
Bc I am 100% sure if MM had a great playoffs this past Spring, the extension is ready for signing on July 1. And MM and his camp knows it. But now he needs to bet on his next playoffs performance, he could avoid that by moving to another team.
I would move if I were him, as that the safer option.

That's a big IF. Takes a contract year to finally show up in the playoffs? l'll pass.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
We should have traded MM before his NMC kicked in, that said I don’t care if we get nothing, we gotta move on from him - 11 mil in cap space is still a win. Can’t keep going back with no major shakeup to the core

Last edited:

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
You and I are on opposite sides of the Marner debate but what has become clear to me is that there are some people (not necessarily pointing to any one person on this board) that may prefer to be right about a player than have that player prove them wrong and succeed...and that's an opinion I just can't get behind.

There's a difference between being pessimistic about a team or player's capabilities and being an outright troll masquerading as a fan of the team. I may not be a good fan, and I very much am not a fan of Mitch Marner, but I have been vocal about how much I wish I were proven wrong at every turn. I'm obviously not directing this at you specifically, but if you'd rather be right than watch the team succeed and prove you wrong, how much of a fan are you really?
I wanted Willy fired into the sun after his first few playoffs and am happy he turned kind of clutch for this team...but I can see what you mean about guys who would prefer that the player they hate suck forever just to prove a point. All that being said...I want Marner to move on and win his cup in a Bozak type fashion...I am ok with it.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
What happens if we move Marner and we dont win the cup, whos fault will it be then?
Lol we tried the same shi# for 6 years... at least we tried something new? No player should get to watch his teammates battle and get to just stand and watch, especially if he's eating up 13% of the cap. That's without even getting into his lack of production.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
And what if we win?
I can’t tell you what will happen in the future, I can only tell you what’s gone on in the last 8 years.
A large sample size indicates that this is not a good playoff team and we have changed everything but the core itself.
Now the core is on their 3rd contracts and we have 1 playoff round win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad