Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, I imagine Ferris is probably a nuisance. You should told him that Marner and his idiot father can kiss your ass.:D Couple him with Mitch and Paul, and you have the trio of misery.
Very unappealing to talk to a guy who thinks his sh*t doesn't stink .. I stay far away from guys like that .. happy with a few beers and darts with my playing group that day .. if I drink too much then thank god for uber

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Very unappealing to talk to a guy who thinks his sh*t doesn't stink .. I stay far away from guys like that .. happy with a few beers and darts with my playing group that day .. if I drink too much then thank god for uber

Yeah, it's amazing what a buzzkill they can be. A few of my buddies played junior hockey with Steve Sullivan, and let's say they didn't care to hang out with the guy.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
David Pagnotta on Leafs Nation Pod:

On Marner:
  • Says that he's spoken to people in Marner's inner circle (not his friends), who have said that there may be an appetite to consider waiving the No Move, depending on the market & scenario.
  • Believes Nashville has told the Leafs that if they do consider moving Marner, to give them a call.
  • Thinks there is a primary fit with Nashville and Toronto - both Marner and Saros have 1 year to go on their deals.
  • Thinks the draft & July 1st is an unofficial deadline for lots of managers and teams - lots of budgets & capspace get allocated & used up in that window
  • A lot of teams start using the period around the conference final to figure out their offseason gameplan. That's where discussions start to usually pick up

On coaching front:
  • Still thinks Berube is the front runner.
  • If shit hits the fan in Carolina, Brind'Amour will be a target for a lot of teams. Still thinks Berube is top of the Leafs list
  • Was expecting to hear more by middle of this week on what teams, not just the Leafs, were doing with their coaching - mentions LA, Devils, Jets, Seattle, San Jose.
  • Thinks a lot of Berube's discussions with teams, including the Leafs, revolve around his staff and what the rest of his bench will look like (assuming he means whether Berube picks his own staff vs if the team provides their own staff)
  • Despite Treliving saying on Friday that the Leafs will go through a "thorough" process, still expects this to be a quick one
  • Thinks Todd McLellan is in the mix, but not necessarily the number 2 candidate behind Berube. Says there are other candidates that are being discussed, but he doesn't quite know who.
  • From a Toronto perspective - the mandate is bringing in someone with experience, like Todd. Whatever the next coaching gig Todd gets, will likely be his last. So he will want the best opportunity to win so he goes out on top.
  • Thinks we will get coaching clarity on at least one NHL coaching job around the league within the next few days, and then the dominos will fall from there.
  • Doesn't think all the Leafs assistant coaches will be back (Boucher, etc). Believes Berube has one individual who has NHL coaching experience in the league recently, who he wants to bring with him wherever he goes.
  • Thinks whether he gets that assistant/associate, will determine who remains on the current staff - Boucher, Malholtra, etc. Thinks Toronto will be open to that.
On Leafs Free Agent targets:
  • Thinks Treliving will "cream all over" Zadorov if he hits the open market.
  • Treliving tried very aggressively to get Zadorov from Calgary earlier in the year before the Vancouver trade, and was very pissed off when he wasn't able to land him.
  • Thinks Viktor Arvidsson from LA is a guy they will closely look at - energy guy, brings a lot to the table, not afraid to muck things up and go into the corners, plus has offensive element and has no issues keeping up with play. Thinks he will go to open market, and Toronto will look closely
  • Fits elements that Treliving highlighted on Friday re. Arvidsson. Does the "unsexy things"
  • Think the new coach, whoever it may be, will also dictate who they end up chasing in free agency.
Although he’s 34, Josi over Saros, unless you can get both by throwing in Rielly.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Thinks Treliving will "cream all over" Zadorov if he hits the open market.
That will probably put him off, just saying...

Thinks Viktor Arvidsson from LA is a guy they will closely look at - energy guy, brings a lot to the table, not afraid to muck things up and go into the corners, plus has offensive element and has no issues keeping up with play. Thinks he will go to open market, and Toronto will look closely
Sure, but does he meet the height requirements? ;)

But I actually like the idea.

• Haha
Reactions: Tak7

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Although he’s 34, Josi over Saros, unless you can get both by throwing in Rielly.
He's a prospect, but if the reports are to be believed Tre wants some kind of high end dman back as part of the return, my guess is he would think long and hard if Nashville came at him with an offer centered around Saros+Tanner Molendyk.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He's a prospect, but if the reports are to be believed Tre wants some kind of high end dman back as part of the return, my guess is he would think long and hard if Nashville came at him with an offer centered around Saros+Tanner Molendyk.
He can skate.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Really am starting to get the sense both parties come together and view this situation the same way, move on. Seems untenable the climate now.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Really am starting to get the sense both parties come together and view this situation the same way, move on. Seems untenable the climate now.
what have you heard recently from the team or MM that's making you feel this way ?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
what have you heard recently from the team or MM that's making you feel this way ?
Few little things coming out, but mostly what Shanny said about “patterns”, feels like the team may want to make a move and Marner is obviously sensitive to criticism, it’s been so over the top since the playoff loss, can see his camp agreeing to any suggestions.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Few little things coming out, but mostly what Shanny said about “patterns”, feels like the team may want to make a move and Marner is obviously sensitive to criticism, it’s been so over the top since the playoff loss, can see his camp agreeing to any suggestions.
if Mitch waives he'll be leaving on his terms and i doubt the return will be close to his value since he's not going to allow us to shop him to the entire league to drive up the return and get the best deal for the team , we'll be lucky if he gives us more than 1/2 teams he'd allow us to speak too

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Ok, the return will be garbage. Nothing of value coming back.

His dad wants $14M a season reportedly.
lol even if its just his cap space, Ill take it. I don't care what his dad wants, he ain't getting it.

Reactions: ToneDog

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
if Mitch waives he'll be leaving on his terms and i doubt the return will be close to his value since he's not going to allow us to shop him to the entire league to drive up the return and get the best deal for the team , we'll be lucky if he gives us more than 1/2 teams he'd allow us to speak too
Everyone I’ve heard accepts you’ll lose the trade, that’s a given. You console yourself with some cap space, but Tre will never win that deal. It’s why it’s an unfortunate ending, but seems where it’s headed.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My best scenario:

Trade Mitch for just draft picks and prospects - this re-stocks the empty larder.

Then spend his cap hit on free agents - this brings in proven players.

BAM! Best of both worlds.

I call that asset cloning.

Take a proven asset and sell it off for pure futures and free up maximum cap.

Spend the cap in free agency and have flexibility to trade those returns for something else.

We actually talked about that on here after the Columbus series. I tossed out the idea of trading Marner for the Lafreniere pick, which admittedly would have been terrible up till now. But we would have also had free cap to spend in the 2020 offseason.

Closest we ever came to that when Dubas traded Kapanen to Pittsburgh for the Amirov pick and then spent the cap savings during the Brodie UFA cycle.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Everyone I’ve heard accepts you’ll lose the trade, that’s a given. You console yourself with some cap space, but Tre will never win that deal. It’s why it’s an unfortunate ending, but seems where it’s headed.
the same media guys who keep saying the world will end if we don't trade Mitch regardless of the return will be bitching and looking for blood once the trade does go through , especially Dubies pr team at the Athletic

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
My best scenario:

Trade Mitch for just draft picks and prospects - this re-stocks the empty larder.

Then spend his cap hit on free agents - this brings in proven players.

BAM! Best of both worlds.
That’s a great way to get both players and cap space. 2 excellent prospects (forward and D), then sign 2 UFAs, forward and D, get a goalie and you’ve basically brought in about 5 players for 1. Then 11 million available next year.

Reactions: theTTC and myleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad