Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Possibly, if he is traded I sure hope you correct, especially the or more part :)

ATM I'm hoping he stays and flourishes more under a new coach.
Marner did "flourish" during the regular season. You think Keefe had some bizarre coaching methods that enabled Marner to flourish during the regular season but held him back in the playoffs? Careful you don't strain yourself doing all this intense stretching. ;)

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner did "flourish" during the regular season. You think Keefe had some bizarre coaching methods that enabled Marner to flourish during the regular season but held him back in the playoffs? Careful you don't strain yourself doing all this intense stretching. ;)
I find it bizarre that after another disappointing playoffs, there are still some that want to run it back. Maybe they are masochists?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I find it bizarre that after another disappointing playoffs, there are still some that want to run it back. Maybe they are masochists?
It's beyond bizarre, I can't even begin to attempt an explanation.

This whole thread is bizarre. The guy who kept ridiculing people who broached the idea of trading Marner because "don't you know he has a NMC" starts a poll about trading him? As the saying goes, you can't make this shit up.

Summer time, ain't it grand. :laugh::laugh:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I understand why people think Marner is eventually going to break through - on the surface, his playoff stats look decent, and he's simply too good a player to not eventually figure it out.

But as others have already pointed out, it's gone on too long at this stage for change not to be made. They've basically tried everything, from a goaltending revolving door, to changing everyone on the blueline minus Mo, to rotating the bottom 6 and trying everything from kerfoot to duct tape in the top 6 LW spots. And different coaches.

The only thing left is to try changing the core.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
No kidding. Where were Dallas and Vancouver 5 years ago? Edmonton was on their 2nd round of high draft pick rebuilds. Florida was spinning their wheels. Vegas was expansion and doing better.
Like what do people need to see. A retirement party for the core. I guess that’s it? A big cake that says but we were right there?
8q17jc.jpg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

People want to hold onto the immense promise that this group once possessed in 2016-17. Once you move a key piece from the equation it feels like you lose the original configuration of how this team was envisioned to win and that feels like a scary step into the unknown.

Holding on year after year yields the same results but players, fans and management alike seem to have be enamoured with the idea that we are on the cusp of something special only requiring superficial changes.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I must be in the minority here but I think you keep Mitch and John and see how they perform under the new coach. With a coaching change there are players that over-perform and some don't perform as well. If either of those two have a boost either in points, physical play or any other area the coach wants them to then it's a win.

If they don't they only have one more season each.

I think (ATM) that Mitch will perform well and resign. John well lets see how steep his decline is this year, I could see him resigning for 4ish million if he has another season like last. I could also see the Leafs offering him the Spezza contract for a year. It all depends on how he does this coming season.
Up until a few months ago, I would have agreed with this. But, after what I saw in the playoffs this year, I became convinced that not even a coaching change will make a difference with this core. It’s time to move on from at least 1 of them

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
People want to hold onto the immense promise that this group once possessed in 2016-17. Once you move a key piece from the equation it feels like you lose the original configuration of how this team was envisioned to win and that feels like a scary step into the unknown.

Holding on year after year yields the same results but players, fans and management alike seem to have be enamoured with the idea that we are on the cusp of something special only requiring superficial changes.
Ultimately the core 4 sucking isn't exactly surprising. Outside of Nylander no one really got better. Tavares declined faster than expected. Marner was a 90 point player when he signed his contract and was a 90 point player when he stunk up the playoffs the last 5 years. Matthews improved in the regular season, but is not more than a good player in the postseason. He can't self create so it's tough.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

We are right there though...:sarcasm:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Not sure what your point is here to be honest.

You point out that you think the only teams that may be interested in Mitch's services are ones he wouldn't go to? With the NMC makes this whole exercise pointless. no?

You may be correct. Mitch can also make that a zero% change he gets traded before his contract expires too.
If he decides to stay then there is nothing Leafs can do but let him sit at home which likely helps out no one .. we lose some regular season points and he loses his game .. so it becomes bad for everyone .. hopefully he will agree to a trade so we can get assets which will help team in playoff hockey .. my point was teams already in playoffs will not have any interest in him due to his CAP hit and his lack of ability to play playoff hockey .. so really you are talking about a select group of teams like a Philli or Seattle who he would help make playoffs .. those teams will see value .. so will teams at bottom but Mitch likely won't want to go to a cellar dweller .. it won't be easy to get something done

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If he decides to stay then there is nothing Leafs can do but let him sit at home which likely helps out no one .. we lose some regular season points and he loses his game .. so it becomes bad for everyone .. hopefully he will agree to a trade so we can get assets which will help team in playoff hockey .. my point was teams already in playoffs will not have any interest in him due to his CAP hit and his lack of ability to play playoff hockey .. so really you are talking about a select group of teams like a Philli or Seattle who he would help make playoffs .. those teams will see value .. so will teams at bottom but Mitch likely won't want to go to a cellar dweller .. it won't be easy to get something done
Just tell Ferris to go find a team that he willing to extend with and work out a contract. I heard there are 28 teams lining up to pay him to find out if he can break through in the playoffs. Piece of cake.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Just tell Ferris to go find a team that he willing to extend with and work out a contract. I heard there are 28 teams lining up to pay him to find out if he can break through in the playoffs. Piece of cake.
No one likes Ferris .. man of few friends .. but he did excellent for Mitch

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I understand why people think Marner is eventually going to break through - on the surface, his playoff stats look decent, and he's simply too good a player to not eventually figure it out.

But as others have already pointed out, it's gone on too long at this stage for change not to be made. They've basically tried everything, from a goaltending revolving door, to changing everyone on the blueline minus Mo, to rotating the bottom 6 and trying everything from kerfoot to duct tape in the top 6 LW spots. And different coaches.

The only thing left is to try changing the core.
They've tried it and got it wrong, I'm sure things would have been much better had they got it right.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
The guy is willing to take one for the team, you know like Pasta getting his lunch handed to him by Tkachuk because he "would do anything for his team mates".

If Marner had the stones to take one for the team, maybe he wouldn't have to...

Reactions: ToneDog

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Its not the players it is the coaching. There is no way 4 players well really all players underperformed at the same time. Has any Leaf consistently played better during the playoffs than they have during the regular season over the last 8 years?

Even when we parachute guys in for the playoffs, they fail. When we trade for guys the 1st few games they are here it's yeah this is what we need. A month later what happened to his Game? Lol

Its coaching man, finding the right coach is key.
:facepalm:

Is there a world where an inspiring coach and a new system creates a playoff Mitch that delivers? And once JTs contract is up and he returns on a cheap deal, all the boys get along, there’s no whining, and we get the D and goalie help we need?
please god no

Reactions: ToneDog

myleafs

May 25, 2021
You make a good point about the only way Mitch could be re-signed. If he sees reality and signs a reasonable contract. It's pretty binary. Mitch's camp comes to the table and says they want Mitch to be a leaf and they will do a team friendly deal, or Mitch's camp comes to the table and says "Mitch is worth as much as Matthews, and certainly more than Nylander." The only question is which of those two things happens.
For me I dont care. A shift in culture is needed and he is one of the ones that needs to go, period. Are we really gonna go down that rabbit hole again and expect a different result?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad