Player Discussion Marner Talk

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Domi took care of that spot very well in Marner's absence.
Actually Domi is much faster than Mitch and it opened up more ice for Matty especially with Bert .. and JT plays better with bigger faster wingers who can bang down low and get him pucks net front .. maybe a little less potent on 3rd line but if we pick up a 1D then we are far better off as a team

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
but lets look at the forwards without him next year , it goes AM/Willie a developing Knies and then we\re left with hoping Cowan steps in and instantly plays like an all star

Or, and stay with me here, cause there's a lot of moving parts, but they could also take the $11 million they save by moving out Marner, and use that money to improve the team elsewhere.

Maybe, just maybe, they use that money for other players so it would be kind of dim-witted to assume the team next year, should they move Marner, would just be the existing team without Marner.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Or, and stay with me here, cause there's a lot of moving parts, but they could also take the $11 million they save by moving out Marner, and use that money to improve the team elsewhere.

Maybe, just maybe, they use that money for other players so it would be kind of dim-witted to assume the team next year, should they move Marner, would just be the existing team without Marner.

Marner is automatically a bad contract. Its addition by subtraction.

The way I see it. Nylander should have probably made 8m in hindsight and MM about 9m. We underpaid WN and overpaid MM. If MM were to agree to take a 9.5m 10m now for term it would be ok. Limited NMC as well.

He wont do that though. I would also consider 11m x8 and no NMC. Limited sure.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marner is automatically a bad contract. Its addition by subtraction.

The way I see it. Nylander should have probably made 8m in hindsight and MM about 9m. We underpaid WN and overpaid MM. If MM were to agree to take a 9.5m 10m now for term it would be ok. Limited NMC as well.

He wont do that though. I would also consider 11m x8 and no NMC. Limited sure.
We can’t undo the contract to Matthews and Nylander but we can get control moving forward. No way I pay Marner 12 or more. No way. Once Tavares is gone, we have a core 2 and full control of the tier of players we put around. We have more room for the 4/5 million contracts across 3 lines, and remake the D and goaltending.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I forget who mentioned it but if Marner wants to sign at a reasonble price here he can, but there is to be no NMC's, and if there is one, it's only for the later years of a long term deal.

Would that be of any interest to anyone?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
The secondary issue with Marner going forward is not even his current contract and his poor playoff performance it’s his next contract.
Can you imagine paying that guy 12-12.5 for 8 years. We can just write off another decade if that happens.
He thinks things are rough on him now just wait until that puppy lands in Leaf world

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

no need to be sassy and i fully understand moving out Marner means we'll add his return to the lineup and distribute his cap hit throughout the line up

but the point people are ignoring is that we can't just click our heels and magically add the pieces we need which are

-num 1 goalie or at least a co num 1
-a top pair D
-a middle pair D
-a top 6 forward , preferably a 2nd line C
-quality depth in the bottom 6

i'd rather keep my 90 plus pt play driving winger who is good defensively and instead move the grossly overpaid underperforming aging C and use his 11m cap hit to plug some of the holes

Reactions: studebaker17

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
JT is definately tradable if he waived. Pay his big bonus July 1 and he’s owed peanuts in real dollars. Leafs just retain 3 millish to help out.
Why would another team take him at even an $8 million cap hit, and how can the Leafs afford to eat $3 million when they need every cent of their own cap space? It doesn't seem like a plausible outcome to me. I think the right answer is probably the most obvious one - he will play out his last year, and then resign on a drastically lower deal because he won't even want to look at signing with another team.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Why would another team take him at even an $8 million cap hit, and how can the Leafs afford to eat $3 million when they need every cent of their own cap space? It doesn't seem like a plausible outcome to me. I think the right answer is probably the most obvious one - he will play out his last year, and then resign on a drastically lower deal because he won't even want to look at signing with another team.
Chicago might

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Chicago's cap space at the end of last year was $10.5M. Do you think they want to use up $11M of that for a fading 3C 'mentor'?
Chicago has 30m plus in cap space for next season and Utah has 40m plus , whether they'd want JT or he'd go there is another topic but they could easily add his cap hit for a season

Last edited:
Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
You can’t possibly believe that?
You don’t even need to sign superstars, just 3 guys like Domi and the team will be more balance and probably better.
That seems to be a common theme around here...that we need superstar players or we won't win anything let alone get into the playoffs. We are so imbalanced in having 4 star forwards when other teams that win usually have 1 or 2 at most in the forward positions.

I am glad Shanny finally came up with the idea that us not winning is a pattern...now...now he is going to get on fixing it. Before the pattern emerged...it was just randomness?

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Chicago put 8M into Foligno and Perry.
Didn’t they?

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
JT has young kids now.
He'll want to stay.
He can be had for cheap, if not, his cap space can be helpful.

I think I'd rather him walk.

A slow C, no business to be on PP1, can't PK, average passer, zero zone entry skills, can win some draws but that seems to be dwindling.

Not sure what to do.

I like the symbolism of moving on from him. I'm trading or ownrentalling marner. So I'd have some cap space for JT. Very low priority. I am also worried he's about to fall off a cliff in terms of speed and performance.

He'd be the last deal I'd make. No priority. It depends if he could fill a missing piece.

#ownrental.

Bye Mitch.

everyone knows he's gone. he can make an ass of himself by not waiving his NMC. But his life will be hell. I would 100% float through the media in June he's not waiving his NMC. It's time for dirty tactics for him.
I imagine Derren Ferris is going to try and make the trade hard to do without an extension...and he will ask for the moon because nobody wants to trade a bunch of assets for someone who might walk. The thing is, if Marner stays because he keeps nixing deals...He will be booed mercilessly from the moment they announce the starting lineups in Game 1 and heckled whenever he touches the puck. If I am Tre....I use that scenario to make sure he is reasonable in this process.

If Marner thinks the TO crowd has been harsh so far...he is in for a shock. Sundin took a lot of years to be welcomed back after nixing any deals when they wanted him gone.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
so the new excuse to not trade Tavares is no one would want him even if we retained and he's only owed less than 1m in salary

but even though teams with tons of cap space wouldn't want him we still have to re-sign him so he can completely kill off our window to win a cup because he wants to come back , forget what's best for the team , it's all about making Johnny happy

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
no need to be sassy and i fully understand moving out Marner means we'll add his return to the lineup and distribute his cap hit throughout the line up

but the point people are ignoring is that we can't just click our heels and magically add the pieces we need which are

-num 1 goalie or at least a co num 1
-a top pair D
-a middle pair D
-a top 6 forward , preferably a 2nd line C
-quality depth in the bottom 6

i'd rather keep my 90 plus pt play driving winger who is good defensively and instead move the grossly overpaid underperforming aging C and use his 11m cap hit to plug some of the holes

You mean the winger who plays scared and disappears in the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad