Player Discussion Marner Talk - Get Your Daily Dose of Redundancy

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Can't answer the poll because the only feasible answer is that he'll re-sign. None of the other options will happen. There should be a 5th option: Just let him walk and save the $12.5M he will certainly demand. Nothing against Mitch, it's just really, really obvious that money needs to be spent elsewhere. I would even find out what goalies and 1st pairing Ds will be UFA the end of next season and clandestinely tamper by letting their agent know the Leafs will have about $30M to spend after next season when Marner's and Tavares' contracts are up. Imagine this team with a shutdown D-man and a top goalie instead of Marner and Tavares. Pretty sure they'd be better.

And who knows, maybe with a new coach they will be much better this coming season. I sure as hell wouldn't be making any decisions until next February, that's for sure.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Can't answer the poll because the only feasible answer is that he'll re-sign. None of the other options will happen. There should be a 5th option: Just let him walk and save the $12.5M he will certainly demand. Nothing against Mitch, it's just really, really obvious that money needs to be spent elsewhere. I would even find out what goalies and 1st pairing Ds will be UFA the end of next season and clandestinely tamper by letting their agent know the Leafs will have about $30M to spend after next season when Marner's and Tavares' contracts are up. Imagine this team with a shutdown D-man and a top goalie instead of Marner and Tavares. Pretty sure they'd be better.

And who knows, maybe with a new coach they will be much better this coming season. I sure as hell wouldn't be making any decisions until next February, that's for sure.
If that’s the only option so be it. You have to make sure you tell him that when you ask him to waive. He won’t be re-signed or made that offer.
It will be hard moving forward if he’s given 12-13 million and we lose 1st round again.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

They can't afford to re-sign him. They can't afford it monetarily, they.cant afford it emotionally and they can't afford it from a team makeup perspective either.

His time in Toronto is approaching its end, for the benefit of the team, the fans and Mitch himself. It's either this offseason or the next one but he's soon done here.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
It took colorado and Tampa numerous lottery picks and almost a decade of failure to get their cups. Chicago won’t be contending for a cup until Bedard is 26-28 yrs old, I promise.
I said turn it around

07 to 08 caps
06 to 07 pens
16 to 17 leafs

I promise you Chicago will be in the playoffs in the next 2 seasons

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

That would be option 2.

They can't afford to re-sign him. They can't afford it monetarily, they.cant afford it emotionally and they can't afford it from a team makeup perspective either.

His time in Toronto is approaching its end, for the benefit of the team, the fans and Mitch himself. It's either this offseason or the next one but he's soon done here.
They can afford it monetarily

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There is a really simple solution here for Marner and unfortunately I don't think he and his camp of morons will ever consider it.

Sign on July 1st for the same amount as Nylander with no drama. That will go a long way in resetting the reputation he's developed.
Even at an 11.5 million AAV, I don't think it's worth keeping him. That money can be better spent elsewhere.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Shanny has seen the light. Changes to the core are needed and he will be the odd man out. They probably won't even make him an offer IMO.
I don’t know if Shanny saw the light or if Pelley was shining it in his face.
I don’t care if Pelley has only been here 4 weeks, you’d have to be living in a cave not to have heard about the last 8 years. Especially if you have ties to Toronto. I could live anywhere in the World from this point on, I’d always be checking on the Leafs and Jays.
Let’s just hope they follow through this time.

We’ve given these guys 8 years to grow and learn from failures. It’s over. Now it’s time to show them a new lesson. Core change. We gave this group its shot. Plus more.

Reactions: ToneDog and arso40

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Solution is easy. Bring back Babcock for a year. Bench Marner at every blind pass. He'll demand a trade.

What I think really happens is he plays lights out in the fall and Leafs cant help themselves to a resign. I am actual okay with a core 3 if a coach can figure out how to get the most out of him.

Bust his ass in a contract year, then soak us for $13M. Please no.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Either Marner or Tavares money this summer has to be re-invested in goaltending and defense. IMO

You can add a $5 mil top Goalie and $6 mil top Dman for $11 mil and that would go a long way to balancing out this Cap heavy spending.

The can't afford to re-sign position is the perfect leverage against a NMC contract roadblock, and a good motivator for Marner to start thinking about where he might want to play next. :wg:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Shanny is being kept to be the bad guy.
He will be the one doing all the tough crap like trading MM and asking JT to waive…. Then he will be gone and all the crap that comes out will be bc of Shanny. Esp next off season when the Leafs is not Cup winner.
Pelley saying he has been in here for 4 weeks just corporate talk.
Tre was being honest and didn’t sugarcoat anything.

It would be insane there is no change to the core 5 by Camp.
Expect at least one of them to be traded if not two.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Either Marner or Tavares money this summer has to be re-invested in goaltending and defense. IMO

You can add a $5 mil top Goalie and $6 mil top Dman for $11 mil and that would go a long way to balancing out this Cap heavy spending.

The can't afford to re-sign position is the perfect leverage against a NMC contract roadblock, and a good motivator for Marner to start thinking about where he might want to play next. :wg:
I agree. If they are looking to retool instead of rebuild, that is where the money should be invested, a goaltender and either a Top 4 D or Top 6 W. Goalie should be first because Woll's health is consistently an issue.

After Tavares departs they can address scoring forwards more. Next year will be tight.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think he is gone this off-season, but I think the return will be very underwhelming because Marner will likely not immediately resign with whatever team he goes to - his agent would be crazy to not take him to UFA next summer, no matter what team acquires him this summer.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Any trade for Marner needs to be a homerun. As bad as he has been In the playoffs, a skilled young winger who can put up 100 points don't grow on trees.

But a trade involving Marner can also bring in incredible depth and make the team a much more well-rounded team if played right

This is a huge off-season for the leafs. I think Treliving is gonna go to work
But are those wingers worth 11 million or the 12.5 he is going to want……comparable say no, so unless he is going to accept 9-9.5 he has to go

Reactions: arso40

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think he is gone this off-season, but I think the return will be very underwhelming because Marner will likely not immediately resign with whatever team he goes to - his agent would be crazy to not take him to UFA next summer, no matter what team acquires him this summer.
Depends what he wants. He can basically start negotiating as a FA this summer. Leafs will give his agent permission because it opens trade opportunities

Reactions: arso40

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Why are you surprised? Bonnie was only one of them to ever hold a job .. Paul was a ride service/video maker/coach etc to Mitch since 5 .. this is completely in keeping with what I saw from 6-16
I guess I’m not terribly surprised, just never really considered it.
Certainly another poor optic for Mitch even if everything is above board.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I said turn it around

07 to 08 caps
06 to 07 pens
16 to 17 leafs

I promise you Chicago will be in the playoffs in the next 2 seasons
I think it depends on the draft this year.

They have a tonne of cap room but I don't think they want to rush it like the Leafs did.

They have some good young prospects and will pile up some more this year, but they have a long way to go before they make the playoffs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree. If they are looking to retool instead of rebuild, that is where the money should be invested, a goaltender and either a Top 4 D or Top 6 W. Goalie should be first because Woll's health is consistently an issue.

After Tavares departs they can address scoring forwards more. Next year will be tight.

Could be something like Marner to Anaheim for goalie John Gibson age 30 ($6.4 mil X 3 more years) & Trevor Zegras age 23 C/W [ 5.75 mil X 2 years RFA] = $12.15 mil instead of locking Marner in long-term at $12.5 mil.

If Zegras is a no go for Anaheim then I'm a big fan of a scrappy young forward like Mason McTavish and perhaps 1st round pick as Leafs attempt to rebuild a prospect pool that witnessed a scorched earth approach by the previous GM.

1715444264783.png

Gibson + McTavish + future 1st for Marner.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
I think it is not hard to change.
For once, I think the supporting players are actually there.
Knies, Holmberg, Robertson(could be a sleeper ready to break out), Boosh, Lilly, Beniot and even Woll got more playoff exp.
We also found out that AM can actually score and be effective with players not name Marner.
Willie can play even if under the toughest pressure.
Just need to build more pieces that have the Alpha in them.
Robertson was on pace for 20 this year in his first full (or almost full) nhl season playing only 11 minutes a game, I still think he's going to end up being like a 30 goal 60 point guy.

Reactions: Gabriel426

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That might be a mistake. Without Matty he may not put up 90 points. If he is smart he will waive and sign with a team he likes.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad