Player Discussion Marner Talk - Get Your Daily Dose of Redundancy

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I see JT decided to go to the Worlds and represent Canada. Mitch decided to go to the cottage.

JT really loves playing hockey...I'm not so sure about Marner...seems like Marner's dream is to make it to the NHL and get paid...so, he's done achieving his dream, why sweat it in the playoffs? Imagine having not worked on your weak shot for 8 years as an NHL player, and still doing those fancy dipsy doodles that worked in the OHL.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
In the past "walking to free agency" would likely have worked against an clueless Dubas and out of fear would cave to every demand. Last time Mitch just floated the idea of an Offersheet and he got his $11 mil as Leafs GM got taken behind the wood shed for a good spanking.

This time I believe things will be different and "free agency" returns $11 mil cap to the Leafs if Marner refuses to waive his NMC next year to allow a trade. If the Leafs are looking to trade Marner then a new Leaf contract is not in the offering and so walking away as a free agent might be Mitch's only other option.

Leafs could go out and sign another UFA like say Rantanen or Draisaitl etc with the recaptured cap space.

If Marner would come to his senses and accept its time to move on then it would be in his best interest to work with Leafs management on a destination of his choice because it would allow an 8th year on a contract in a sign and trade or move next year to allow his new team to meet his salary demands. If he walks himself to UFA status then he can only sign a 7 year deal..
I think what happened with the Flames with Johnny Hockey and Tkachuk might end up helping Tre with dealing with pending UFAs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I believe by and large we are all born with different abilities to varying degrees. Sure with a lot of effort we may be able to move the needle in some areas but not a lot. If I could make 10 million a year playing hockey, I’d consider it a lottery win and wouldn’t care about provinces either. lol all the way to the easy life.
Making money and intelligence don't exactly go hand in hand all the time.

One of the first good jobs I ever had I learned this, my boss was a legitimate dumbf*** and yet somehow owned and operated a multi-million dollar company. One of the best sources of motivation I found in my life.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
JT really loves playing hockey...I'm not so sure about Marner...seems like Marner's dream is to make it to the NHL and get paid...so, he's done achieving his dream, why sweat it in the playoffs? Imagine having not worked on your weak shot for 8 years as an NHL player, and still doing those fancy dipsy doodles that worked in the OHL.
Good for JT to keep playing. Maybe helping Canada wins will recharge his battery a bit. Still need to trade him though.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Oh he's not gonna go easy. He's had a lot of fantasies about that next Toronto Overpayment and he's going to fight tooth and nail to try and get it. Anywhere that's not Toronto is a significant pay cut, only in Toronto does he get to use Matthews as a comparable and the sponsors and opportunities to make money outside of hockey ain't gonna be there. He's had life amazing in Toronto, do his thing in the regular season, don't bother sacrificing the body at all in the playoffs, and have a nice fresh bill of health to go enjoy summer at the cottage. He does not want to give this up.

I think being a Leaf and getting paid is a lifestyle for Marner...play well enough in the regular season to earn the huge paycheck, get those sponsorships because he's playing for his hometown...retire at 35...what a dream...not all players have that drive to win a Cup after they make it to the NHL...remember Alexandre Daigle? Had all the talent to be selected 1st overall, but never had the drive to become a great player once he made it to the NHL.

Good for JT to keep playing. Maybe helping Canada wins will recharge his battery a bit. Still need to trade him though.

Yeah, if Leafs could move him this summer, it would be for the best...if not, it's the last year of his contract.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think being a Leaf and getting paid is a lifestyle for Marner...play well enough in the regular season to earn the huge paycheck, get those sponsorships because he's playing for his hometown...retire at 35...what a dream...not all players have that drive to win a Cup after they make it to the NHL...remember Alexander Daigle? Had all the talent to be selected 1st overall, but never had the drive to become a great player once he made it to the NHL.

Yeah, if Leafs could move him this summer, it would be for the best...if not, it's the last year of his contract.
Hope he gets MVP in the Worlds and some team decide to trade for him. Also he is quite smart going to the Worlds, as I doubt Tre will be calling him about trades, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Superstar

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Hey now, Tavares only has two young children to look after. Marner has his dog Zeus to take care of!
So I guess when MM said the thing about God, he was talking about his DOG.
Maybe he was confuse as DOG is GOD spelt backwards.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think being a Leaf and getting paid is a lifestyle for Marner...play well enough in the regular season to earn the huge paycheck, get those sponsorships because he's playing for his hometown...retire at 35...what a dream...not all players have that drive to win a Cup after they make it to the NHL...remember Alexander Daigle? Had all the talent to be selected 1st overall, but never had the drive to become a great player once he made it to the NHL.

Psychotic competitors are the ones who really thrive in the playoffs, your Johnathon Toews and Nathan Mackinnon types. Physical pain is like fuel for those guys, they definitely pay for it later in life (hell look at Toews nowadays), but in the playoffs they don't give up a centimeter of ice. Guys like that obviously have a couple screws loose, but it's hockey at the highest level.

That's one end of the spectrum, the other end of the spectrum is Mitch Marner.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Marner + Lily + ?? for Power + Levi. Mitch stays as close to home as possible and makes Tage a 60 goal scorer.

Power comes home and anchors our D for the next decade.
That would be a big win, but hard to imagine even if there was a very unlikely bidding war. His trade is very circumstantial, and the return likely disappoints fans with high expectations.

Reactions: ToneDog

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
That would be a big win, but hard to imagine even if there was a very unlikely bidding war. His trade is very circumstantial, and the return likely disappoints fans with high expectations.

If the trade involves Marner getting extended by the team receiving him, I think the Leafs could get a good return...any team trading for Marner would want to extend him.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Psychotic competitors are the ones who really thrive in the playoffs, your Johnathon Toews and Nathan Mackinnon types. Physical pain is like fuel for those guys, they definitely pay for it later in life (hell look at Toews nowadays), but in the playoffs they don't give up a centimeter of ice. Guys like that obviously have a couple screws loose, but it's hockey at the highest level.

Some players don't want to pay the price and just finesse their way through the playoffs...a team might be able to afford that if the player is a depth player, but not in the kind of role and minutes Marner plays.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

You are bang on.
Still today, I think the mistake started with Marleau. Lou and Babs should never sign him as a UFA and asked him to mentor the kids. If they had a better mentor, like someone who led their team to win the Cup. That player would had told them what it takes to win, the pain you must endure..... instead of I am an Ironman bc I care about my well being before the team.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
If the trade involves Marner getting extended by the team receiving him, I think the Leafs could get a good return...any team trading for Marner would want to extend him.
Its conceivable, if we're lucky, but unless there are at least two teams in the mix, which is hard under the circumstances, unlikely it's great.

Power and Levi would be great.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Its conceivable, if we're lucky, but unless there are at least two teams in the mix, which is hard under the circumstances, unlikely it's great.

Power and Levi would be great.
Byram and Levi would be better.
As Byram can QB our PP

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Byram and Levi would be better.
As Byram can QB our PP
Theoretically better would be even more difficult, but the market has spoken on Byram, his value isn't that high with his issues.

Personally I'd go Power, but you might right in the long run.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Theoretically better would be even more difficult, but the market has spoken on Byram, his value isn't that high with his issues.

Personally I'd go Power, but you might right in the long run.
Power is big, and fast and can play. The only knock on Byram is his injury history.
If not Byram is a better Dman than Power and also cheaper.
The thing I like Byram is that he got a little Mackinnon in him. He is a leader, watch a few games of the Giants when he was there, and whenever the Giants is in trouble, he was there to lead them.

Reactions: LeafEgo

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Power is big, and fast and can play. The only knock on Byram is his injury history.
If not Byram is a better Dman than Power and also cheaper.
The thing I like Byram is that he got a little Mackinnon in him. He is a leader, watch a few games of the Giants when he was there, and whenever the Giants is in trouble, he was there to lead them.
Agreed, Byram living up to his healthy potential would be a dream. I'm living perhaps in a minority world where I think we are in dire straights with this generation. We f***ed things up so badly I just don't think we have the luxury of taking gambles anymore.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Agreed, Byram living up to his healthy potential would be a dream. I'm living perhaps in a minority world where I think we are in dire straights with this generation. We f***ed things up so badly I just don't think we have the luxury of taking gambles anymore.
I think it is not hard to change.
For once, I think the supporting players are actually there.
Knies, Holmberg, Robertson(could be a sleeper ready to break out), Boosh, Lilly, Beniot and even Woll got more playoff exp.
We also found out that AM can actually score and be effective with players not name Marner.
Willie can play even if under the toughest pressure.
Just need to build more pieces that have the Alpha in them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad