Player Discussion Marner talk - daily repetition version.

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Removing a special exemption like Marner who doesn’t have to do a lot of extra little chores like hitting, going into traffic will really change the cultute of the team.

When Matthews was with Domi and Bertuzzi he became a lot more industrious of a player, more north south and played with better consistent pace and chippiness. I don’t think Matthews is a self starting leader in those departments but if you put a more competitive environment around him I think I’ll match the intensity.
Marner is not a player you want as part of the leadership of your sports team. He's a 27 year old whose still a teenager. Plays hockey like its juniors, scared of contact, body of a 18 year old, plays video games all day long like an 15 year old. Still let's his dad run his life. Maybe getting traded will put a chip in his shoulder and he will wake up but it isn't going to happen here. Imagine your a grown man and you walk into the Leafs dressing room and Marner the face of the team walks into the room with his Mickey Mouse T on.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Did anyone hear any accountability at all from him? All I heard him say how hard it is to score in the playoffs, and all the other usual excuses. There is 0 accountability with this guy. In his mind, he is the best player ever.
We keep hearing that it's so hard to score in the playoffs because we always run up against great goalies....seems like Hellybuck getting torched or Swayman getting blasted is for other teams to do. It's comical actually.

None of our players have ever been held accountable by the big, bad media that the players complain about. They can all go jump in a swampy pond for all I care.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It's simple don't trade players who played with heart, passion and grit and trade the ones who don't. Moore, Kadri and Hyman...

Dubas did the opposite because he's someone who never played sports at a high level and literally had no clue.

Hyman played at a 30 point pace (playoffs) while in Toronto.

Kadri lost them series.

Moore was a dumb deal caused by Dubas not investing in goaltending.

These guys who were either ineffective or boneheaded in Toronto went somewhere else and turned into performers.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Marner had 97 in 72 games two years ago, which put him on pace for 110.
Yeah just like Matthews was a lock for 70 goals this year and Nylander was a lock for 100points this season!

Regardless, a few extra points changes nothing. The point is that this guy isn’t even looking like an 11 million dollar player riding shotgun to one of the best goal scorers ever, and he won’t be playing with other plays either.

Placing blame on Tavares is ridiculous. Nylander played with him and a bunch of nobodies on the third line all season and still found a way to pass Marner offensively.

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
Lot of discussion on moving on but I'm curious how many of you are confident that this will happen.
Question isn't should they? that has been beaten to death. :deadhorse

The question is a simple WILL IT HAPPEN?

Too early to tell and its up these folks who have been making a mess of this franchise since 1998.

Attachments

• theboard.PNG
    theboard.PNG
    811.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Let's not get carried away dumping on JT. I just looked it up, he was tied for 64th place among forwards in scoring this season, with 32 teams in the league, wouldn't that mean he's still a 1st line forward? Plus he's dependable defensively, strong on the boards and on faceoffs, he was basically Crosby lite so maybe now he's Crosby extra lite but still, a 1st line forward who's strong defensively, that's a valuable commodity and far from someone who's holding Marner back.

Marner played like crap these playoffs, and that's on him and nobody else.
He had more than half his points by Jan 3, playing with Nylander.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He's actually got more points than the other core guys.

Also, as a playmaker, I think he deserves some leeway when other guys can't finish his passes.
How do you figure that?

Matty - 4 points in 5 games
Willy - 3 points in 4 games
Mitch - 3 points in 7 games.

Reactions: Antropovsky

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
How do you figure that?

Matty - 4 points in 5 games
Willy - 3 points in 4 games
Mitch - 3 points in 7 games.
He must be referring to career number.

JD Bunkis said it today. With 34 and 88 missing 16 showed that he is not able to elevate and lead the team. $11m players should have that ability.

Mitch took every penny and now that he will want a raise, he has priced himself off the team. Serves him right.

Last edited:

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
We keep hearing that it's so hard to score in the playoffs because we always run up against great goalies....seems like Hellybuck getting torched or Swayman getting blasted is for other teams to do. It's comical actually.

None of our players have ever been held accountable by the big, bad media that the players complain about. They can all go jump in a swampy pond for all I care.
Coaches usually dont publicly badmouth the players, and players usually dont' take responsibility either. It's amazing when you see post game player interviews when a team loses. Half the time they'll say the other team got lucky bounces.

Also, JT is the most robotic quiet captain ever. He's the last guy to ever fire up a team or give fans a sense of urgency. As captain does he even take blame publicly even for sake of PR brownie pts? Or does he just do his canned answers with zero emotion and disappear?

As for media, they always grill the core 4. Especially lately. When Nick Kypreos is even even ragging on the Leafs you know it's bad. That guy is usually a total pro-player and pro-Leaf supporter.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He must be referring to career number.

JD Bunkis said it today. With 34 and 88 missing 16 showed that he is not able to elevate and lead the team. $11m players should have that ability.

Mitch took every penny and now that he he wants even more, he has priced himself off the team. Serves him right.
Right.

Although, even career, he's tied with Rielly for fourth in both goals and assists at even strength..

Reactions: ToneDog

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Marner + Lily + ?? for Power + Levi. Mitch stays as close to home as possible and makes Tage a 60 goal scorer.

Power comes home and anchors our D for the next decade.
Was thinking today Buff would be a good trading partner in a MM trade. I could also see MM agreeing to that trade. I could easily see the Sabres offering Mitch the extension we all know he covets. Super close to home.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Playoffs:
1715290140698.gif

Sorry Mitch. Maybe they can ease up on playing too hard in the playoffs.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Was thinking today Buff would be a good trading partner in a MM trade. I could also see MM agreeing to that trade. I could easily see the Sabres offering Mitch the extension we all know he covets. Super close to home.
My concern is that Tre said nobody was offering a good enough dman for Nylander. Would be huge if the Sabres made that deal but I doubt it.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I dont see how Buff would be a good fit. Buff already has enough scoring. Buff needs defence. And as a second priority goaltending if Luuk had a fluke season.

If Buff scrapes into the playoffs, they'd want someone who is reliable in post season too. But everyone knows Marner disappears.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I dont see how Buff would be a good fit. Buff already has enough scoring. Buff needs defence. And as a second priority goaltending if Luuk had a fluke season.

If Buff scrapes into the playoffs, they'd want someone who is reliable in post season too. But everyone knows Marner disappears.
Players like Marner do not become available very often. As for defence, I hear he is elite.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Buffalo might still be trying to scrape into the playoffs for the next foreseeable future...they have a greater chance of making the playoffs with Marner in their lineup.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto

They were in the bottom 3rd of the league this year in scoring, no? They absolutely could use a guy of Marner's talent. Plus he comes as a defensive forward as well. Buffalo needs to even get to the playoffs before they start worrying about who's performing at what level. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad