Player Discussion Marner talk - daily repetition version.

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There is a really simple solution here for Marner and unfortunately I don't think he and his camp of morons will ever consider it.

Sign on July 1st for the same amount as Nylander with no drama. That will go a long way in resetting the reputation he's developed.
His rep as someone who shrinks as the games get bigger will remain. He should not be extended under almost any circumstances.

The only way I would extend him is a one year deal at a massive discount. If Marner addressed the media, said he is disappointed in his playoff performance, wants to do something to make up for it for the fans. One year extension at 5 million dollars, tell the fans that he hopes the extra cap space will help us win, say he made a lot of money on his last contract so can afford to try this for one year and see what happens.

It'll never happen but if that was the deal and that was his attitude, that would be the only way I'd move forward with Marner. Nylander's deal, fuggedaboudit.

Reactions: Al14

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Kyper on the "they gotta get John to waive" train. I wonder if he is doing it to save Marner b/c I doubt it will work if Shanny's brain kicks in.
They do though. A trade is the best case scenario and makes for the least complications. Tavares is trending to put up 50-60 points next season. You need to find a team that will take him with the least retention for us to be competitive. Tavares was right "we are right there". Just not with you John you gotta go.

Marner will thrive playing on a 2nd line sans Tavares. JT makes any line he plays on slow and predictable.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
His rep as someone who shrinks as the games get bigger will remain. He should not be extended under almost any circumstances.

The only way I would extend him is a one year deal at a massive discount. If Marner addressed the media, said he is disappointed in his playoff performance, wants to do something to make up for it for the fans. One year extension at 5 million dollars, tell the fans that he hopes the extra cap space will help us win, say he made a lot of money on his last contract so can afford to try this for one year and see what happens.

It'll never happen but if that was the deal and that was his attitude, that would be the only way I'd move forward with Marner. Nylander's deal, fuggedaboudit.
Marner's camp was upset Lou refused to give him bonuses. He's never leaving $7m off the table. fuggedaboudit

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They do though. A trade is the best case scenario and makes for the least complications. Tavares is trending to put up 50-60 points next season. You need to find a team that will take him with the least retention for us to be competitive. Tavares was right "we are right there". Just not with you John you gotta go.
Agreed but so does Mitch need to go. Odds are JT will be harder to move but Kyper is doing his part.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
I doubt John waives his NMC, but I don't see why the team brings him back unless the discounted rate is a massive discounted rate. Its very possible he'll be a 40pt getter next year...do you want to commit to that?

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Marner cant be expected to fight.
I wouldn't ask him that.

He's a great regular season playmaker with variable effort levels.

It might be nice to keep him, but we need a more balanced team.

JT coming off the books isn't enough.

Rielly needs a #1 D.
Neither should Pasta, but he asked his coach for permission to do so.

A lot of our guys just don’t get it. Marner included.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Agreed but so does Mitch need to go. Odds are JT will be harder to move but Kyper is doing his part.
I'm not done with Marner like I am JT. I can see Marner putting up 100 points next season on a revamped 2nd line. He put up 85 in 69 games. He has the capability to be a star player still. JT is cooked. He's getting PP1 time and easier matchups and only putting up 60ish points.

Reactions: ACC1224 and ToneDog

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
So what? Playoffs matter.
I agree Marner was not up to snuff. But he still had 1 more point than JT at the same caphit. He also missed 13 games down the stretch and was forced to play with a slow boat anchor when he was back. It was not like he put up 3 points playing with McDavid.

Hard to drive a line when you're playing with a cooked JT.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Of those 16, you have an entire top 6, 2 top 4 defence, and one half of a tandem.
No we don't.

I agree Marner was not up to snuff. But he still had 1 more point than JT at the same caphit. He also missed 13 games down the stretch and was forced to play with a slow boat anchor when he was back. It was not like he put up 3 points playing with McDavid.

Hard to drive a line when you're playing with a cooked JT.
But isn't he an elite line driver that makes players around him better?

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
No we don't.

But isn't he an elite line driver that makes players around him better?
Screenshot_2024-05-09-09-41-09~2.png

Hard to make that ^ better.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm not done with Marner like I am JT. I can see Marner putting up 100 points next season on a revamped 2nd line. He put up 85 in 69 games. He has the capability to be a star player still. JT is cooked. He's getting PP1 time and easier matchups and only putting up 60ish points.
Three problems:

1. Mitch most likely asking $12.5m.
2. He disappears in the playoffs
3. He is the odd man out if they decide they cannot/will not run back this core

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
The Leafs will never win anything with Marner on the books. It's just that simple.

Expect Marner to be signed because it's not about winning.
A lot of potential truth about this. Bay Street only wants money. There is no emotional attachment beyond the traditional symbol and what the brand can do.
How is it possible to go to the board of governors meeting and hold your head high. Not because of success on the ice. 57 years is the only proof you need.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I have a lot of respect for JT. I also think his deal after this one will be very valuable and part of a solution. He works hard, had a good playoff series and if he's signing for 4.5M after next year that's a great asset. Marner will be asking for 100M over 8 years.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
With Marner and with every player on this team, we have consider the idea that it's not them but something fundamentally wrong overall. Every guy leaves and has massive success somewhere else.

Maybe they should spend some time on figuring that out before trading their best players.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
With Marner and with every player on this team, we have consider the idea that it's not them but something fundamentally wrong overall. Every guy leaves and has massive success somewhere else.

Maybe they should spend some time on figuring that out before trading their best players.
Marner won't have massive success here. I do believe he'll be good elsewhere. It doesn't matter ultimately

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad