Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020
Injury or have a bad season (will he play on the AM's line if DOmi stays?)
Also, UFA does not mean more $, look at Gaudreau. If I were him, it would be worth exploring the options.

Friedman was saying today that his agent likes to take his clients to FA.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Interesting thought. Why would you think he’d waive or be asked at the deadline?
You don’t think the Leafs will be a playoff team?

Anything can happen and this is just another what if scenario.
Chicago has loads of cap space with Bedard as the #1 center piece.

Marner could do well with the up and coming Hawks.

Something has to give like an overripe pimple that needs to pop. Whatever scenario plays out I believe Marner is going to be traded and as far as the Leafs being a playoff team goes it is rather early to determine that possibility.

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Zach Hyman has been a SUPER STAR since leaving the Leafs ... He has scored 21 playoff goals alone since the Leafs moved on, while making $5 mil.

Mitch Marner has during that same time period scored 6 total playoff goals while making $11 mil. In fact he has only scored 11 goals totals after all 8 playoff years.

Leafs Nation should be screaming your point from the mountain tops, lamenting the loss of Hyman (but only a small vocal minority do).

If that doesn't move the needle what will, and what are the Leafs really afraid of here?

View attachment 866046

vs

View attachment 866047

The narrative will remain that Marner is irreplaceable and unmovable, and some of that might be the fear of what happen if they do move on.

But using Zach as a example, the common response is BUT he didn't do it here, but then after all these years Marner hasn't done it either when it counted most.

Do I believe Marner will be re-signed by Toronto 100%. Do I believe the Leafs should move on from him 100%.

PS. Just using your post as an example to make my WHAT IF vs SO WHAT rebuttal. :cool:
Your obsession with Zach Hyman is...admirable.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
I know the Tkachuk trade gets ripped on but if Tre got a first and a defenseman like Weegar for Marner, is that half decent? I think Huberdeau and his extension make that trade look much worse.

A 1st and a "Weegar level" defenseman would be a tremendous trade for us. Hell, I'd take Weegar alone. 20 goals, 194 hits, 200 blocked shots, RD.

I honestly think the most valuable aspect of Marner is his cap hit. $11 million could be much better spent.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Friedman was saying today that his agent likes to take his clients to FA.

I heard that as well. The only leverage is that if Marner agrees to a sign and trade he gets the 8th year whereas if he walks he only gets 7. Ask Tavares if he would have rather had 8 years instead of 7. Granted Marner shouldn’t taper off like Johnny but that extra year is worth a lot. I would rather sign and trade than go UFA because Marner can call his shot pretty much anywhere in the league. But yes he does have a hardball agent.

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
A 1st and a "Weegar level" defenseman would be a tremendous trade for us. Hell, I'd take Weegar alone. 20 goals, 194 hits, 200 blocked shots, RD.

I honestly think the most valuable aspect of Marner is his cap hit. $11 million could be much better spent.
Yeah as I wrote that out and look back I'm like wow wishful thinking. Just get us someone like Weegar and 4 or 5 Mil cap space.

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd keep him

I'm not saying I'd give him 13M over a long term deal or anything like that but whatever percentage of the cap Nylander got on his 11.5M deal is what I'd offer Marner
With the cap rises its probably around 12M × 8 is my best guesstimate

I just don't think we can win a Marner trade and 100 point selke level forwards don't come around often

Reactions: Squiffy and rve24

Action Jackson

Jul 5, 2010
Feels like Marner and the Leafs are heading for a divorce. I don't like it. The mere hint that Friedman is even suggesting the Leafs may use that cap space to look at Seth Jones is beyond anything Friday the 13th can deliver.

Sucks get bounced each year, but sucks worse not even making the playoffs. At least we can fool ourselves from Oct - April.
Lol. Leafs will easily make the playoffs without Marner, even without Seth jones.

Reactions: bax

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Injury or have a bad season (will he play on the AM's line if DOmi stays?)
Also, UFA does not mean more $, look at Gaudreau. If I were him, it would be worth exploring the options.
So he should allow a trade where he may not want to go......can still have a poor season, can still get injured.
I'll guess if he stays he gets PP1 all year and plays with top 6 talent thst is probly as good as most other teams they'd dump him to.
He can MORE options as an FA than being traded out of his home town for a few months to appease Leafs fans looking for a scapegoat.
As many, or more options for him if he stays and he gets to stay home for the 6 months ;)
Whatever extension is available if he waives will be there at seasons end.
And I like players who bet on themselves as opposed to giving up what they negotiated to be scared and take what the team tells you to cause the teams staff Fd up.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'd keep him

I'm not saying I'd give him 13M over a long term deal or anything like that but whatever percentage of the cap Nylander got on his 11.5M deal is what I'd offer Marner

I just don't think we can win a Marner trade and 100 point selke level forwards don't come around often
I agree we wont win in a MM trade but does it matters?
I mentioned it on another thread, what is a step back from the Leafs? Not playing Game 7 in the
first round or not making playoffs?
Our PP sucks with MM on it and our PK was okay with MM.
What’s worse can happen by trading MM and getting multiple players and picks back?
Using Nucks as an example as this will never happen, say Soucy and Garland plus picks for MM.
Would the Leafs be worse?
How about Seattle? Wright and McCann plus picks for MM. Would Leafs be worse and end up getting great odds for the lottery?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I'm sure Marner will become a fan favorite to all nonleaf fan bases the second he leaves toronto.

Reactions: Rude Dog

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What gets me is that Marner talks about how hard the Stanley Cup is to win and its a war. As an excuse of course for losing...like jeez you all, it's not easy to win!

Yes Marner, we know but everyone is pissed because you didn't partake in the war. You don't go to any dirty areas, don't finish any hits, your afraid to take a hit. Did you not see the viral video of you avoiding a loose puck to not take a hit? Did you not read the stats that show your shooting 10' further from the net and that your slot shot% was the worst on the team by a long shot?
Lol talk is cheap as they say..

he says all that like we didnt just watch him avoid contact for another series

Reactions: Antropovsky

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd keep him

Who cares about winning a trade? I want a team that can go deep in the playoffs and Marner isn't a playoff performer. 12M is way too much to pay for a regular season entertainer who disappears when the pressure gets cranked up. That is of course if you are chasing playoff success which I like to think we are. For a small market team that has no cup aspirations who just wants to sell tickets, Marner probably is worth 12 million and that's where I think he should play.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Who cares about winning a trade? I want a team that can go deep in the playoffs and Marner isn't a playoff performer. 12M is way too much to pay for a regular season entertainer who disappears when the pressure gets cranked up. That is of course if you are chasing playoff success which I like to think we are. For a small market team that has no cup aspirations who just wants to sell tickets, Marner probably is worth 12 million and that's where I think he should play.
Culture is paramount, more important than star players.

This team needs a culture shock in the worst of ways.

If you still have Mitch on the team with his A on the front of his jersey there will be no culture change.

Action Jackson

Jul 5, 2010
People who say pay marner less, (e.g. 10m) are just as stupid as the people saying keep him.

Yeah, that 1.5m in cap savings is gonna turn this group of tired losers into a contender. sure!!!

Reactions: ToneDog

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think Marner will initiate the trade talks before the team even gets there. I suspect that he wants out of here as quickly as possible. Just a matter of which team he is traded to.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I reckon this is a FOR him and AGAINST him poll with the FOR side propped up by people who consider mgmt useless.

Who is even holding the hammer?

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I believe he will neither traded nor re-signed.

I also believe that the best solution for both parties is a trade ASAP.

Reactions: ToneDog

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
You call around instead of waiting for calls. You don't trade him for a package that doesn't help your team win in the next 3-4 years because you won't get a player like him again. Even if he isn't good at playoff hockey.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Here's the frustrating thing with how badly Dubas botched all these negotiations a few years ago...and how Treliving basicaly continued with Nylander and Matthews....

I'd expect that Mitch Marner's salary demands are probably $12m x 8. A little more than Nylander, recognizing that he's the same age as Nylander is when the contract kicks in, and the cap has increased.

Imaginary fast forward a year from now and he's an impending UFA... is there really another good team in the league that would pay him that?

Personally, I'm not so sure there is, which begs the question, if there isn't, why should Toronto pay it?

To win a Stanley Cup, you need guys who want to win.

If a guy who is in his prime, when faced with the choice of being the marquee talent on a crappy team making $12m, or have realistic consistent shots at a cup every year making $9m, choses to the $12m guy -- then there's nothing wrong with admitting that he's simply not a player you can win with.

Tampa gets that philosophy. Toronto doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad