Player Discussion Marner talk - daily repetition version.

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
He will likely be re-signed and that is also likely what you should happen with players of his caliber. Just another in a list of scape goats.

I won't be shocked if he gets traded, but he will have to want to be traded. Are we going to run his contract down and let him walk? No, we're not.

I know people are frustrated with losing again, but let's be honest with the question of what will happen, not what you want to happen because Marner is the guy you're mad at this time.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He will likely be re-signed and that is also likely what you should happen with players of his caliber. Just another in a list of scape goats.

I won't be shocked if he gets traded, but he will have to want to be traded. Are we going to run his contract down and let him walk? No, we're not.

I know people are frustrated with losing again, but let's be honest with the question of what will happen, not what you want to happen because Marner is the guy you're mad at this time.
Huberdeau wasn’t resigned by Florida look how that turned out
Stamkos might not be signed by tampa

How is Marner the scapegoat?

He had 3 points in 7 games. He was completely healthy. Is 5-7 points too much to ask for?

We don’t really know what will or won’t happen, we aren’t treliving, shanahan, and MLSE. We can speculate based on what the situation looks like, and that situation looks like Marner being dealt or at least being asked to waive his NMC.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I'm surprised at how much pushback there is to something that is objectively true.

Are most posters here not from the Toronto area?

"God" is hyperbole...I think he's using that term to make himself look good and minimize his chance of being traded, as if there will be fan retribution if he's moved. No doubt some Leaf fans have very high hopes for the team and some of the players, but these players aren't gods. The opposite is also true, as this team and some of the players are becoming huge disappointments, the opposite of being gods.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
"God" is hyperbole...I think he's using that term to make himself look good and minimize his chance of being traded, as if there will be fan retribution if he's moved. No doubt some Leaf fans have very high hopes for the team and some of the players, but these players aren't gods. The opposite is also true, as this team and some of the players are becoming huge disappointments, the opposite of being gods.

The entire interview is publicly available. Watch it. His comment had NOTHING to do with trying to make himself good / untradeable, and everything to do with praising the marketplace, how much he loves playing here, and the way the fans revere & adore it's hockey team.

It's utterly ridiculous to think of his comments in any other light.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The entire interview is publicly available. Watch it. His comment had NOTHING to do with trying to make himself good / untradeable, and everything to do with praising the marketplace, how much he loves playing here, and the way the fans revere & adore it's hockey team.

He could say one thing, paying lip service and all...but he loves playing here so much that he's going to bend over the Leafs again in his next contract negotiation.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Regular season god!
Post season peasant...

I like Marner just couldnt help myself.

Reactions: Cypruss

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I think (hope) he will be traded.

My ideal outcome is both Marner and Tavares are gone but it probably won't happen.

If he wants to stay short-term, he won't waive his NMC. It's as simple as that. He's 100% in control that way, so it's the most likely outcome.

Now is there a path to him staying long-term? It's somewhat possible but three things will have to happen.

1. Tavares has to waive his NMC or be let go next season
2. Marner has to accept basically the same deal or less
3. Marner has to perform in the next playoffs

That's a lot of things I don't see happening but it's a 5% possibility. What shouldn't happen is giving him an extension this off-season. Let him sulk on it through the season if he refuses to waive his NMC.

In a way, Marner not waiving his NMC might be a positive rather than a negative. If a player is willing to deal with the constant contract questions, needing to perform to get a good contract, and possibly losing out on an 8-year deal (millions of peak-level dollars) then perhaps he is ready to put in the work.

Knowing Marner, I think that would be a massive mistake and he should waive the NMC to secure his 8-year deal somewhere else. He has no history of dominating in the playoffs to bank on that as a way to save himself.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Marner has only got softer as he got older. Remember those 2 shot blocks he had in a playoff game early in his career? Those are long gone.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
He tends to come across like he believes it at times. I mean narci much?
What Mitch sees when he looks in his fancy 10.9 million dollar mirror
IMG_7445.png

• Haha
Reactions: thewave

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

All the reaction it's generated kind of proves his point.
People hanging on and dissecting every word.

**** A little surprised so many are that confident that he will waive and leave.

Reactions: Tak7

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
What does that have to do with the comments he made today?

I don't think he's being entirely sincere. He knows he's eligible to sign an extension July 1, so he's prepping for it.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Marner doesnt think the core should be moved because they are great players.....

Great players also find ways to win. not lose everytime for 9 years straight. oh sorry wait a sec we won a series against TB last year..... well I guess mission accomplished.

cya buddy. loved when we drafted you, loved the time we had you but it kinda feels like you got a little predictable and less dynamic over the years.

like what do you need to do to be your self in the playoffs? if your peach fuzz is bothering you so much then shave it off and focus on the game.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

When John Lennon stated the Beatles were bigger than religion, there were scores of young people throwing their albums into a firepit.

Maybe this will happen to Marners jerseys
:laugh:

Of all the entitled this team has had, he is currently the most coddled. He is not build for the playoffs and that is all that matters for a team that can get in. The East won't be getting any easier. Yet, he sounds like that lifetime government employee who loves the annual BBQs while the taxpayer pays for mediocre service and indifference.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
He's gone. I'd be pretty surprised if he's here at the beginning of next season.

While he does hold the NMC, I do honestly think he'll waive it and help facilitate a trade. He's definitely aware of the media noise and scrutiny he's come under in Toronto recently. I don't see the situation improving and there's always going to be that tense relationship between Marner, the media, and the fans going forward now. It's in the best interest of both parties to move on.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
What gets me is that Marner talks about how hard the Stanley Cup is to win and its a war. As an excuse of course for losing...like jeez you all, it's not easy to win!

Yes Marner, we know but everyone is pissed because you didn't partake in the war. You don't go to any dirty areas, don't finish any hits, your afraid to take a hit. Did you not see the viral video of you avoiding a loose puck to not take a hit? Did you not read the stats that show your shooting 10' further from the net and that your slot shot% was the worst on the team by a long shot?

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I think he’ll be back and a new deal will depend on how next year goes. I can’t imagine him agreeing to a trade. He loves it here. I also can’t imagine anybody giving him 12-13 a year right now so he’s probably going to bet on himself next season.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
He is probably going to play for the Leafs for most of the season and get traded near the deadline.

I hope he goes lights out and gets a lot of attention from trade partners.

Pump up the volume babe

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Of all the entitled this team has had, he is currently the most coddled. He is not build for the playoffs and that is all that matters for a team that can get in. The East won't be getting any easier. Yet, he sounds like that lifetime government employee who loves the annual BBQs while the taxpayer pays for mediocre service and indifference.
literally last week he was getting roasted for throwing a fit on the bench. maybe that's pissy or worse but it's not indifference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad