Markov-Subban

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Usually you always hear about the toughest pairing to play against, but for whatever reason there hasn't been much discussion, at least when I'm watching, on pairings.

I think you could make an argument for Markov Subban as the top pairing..but I need to see Markov do it in the playoffs before I crown this pairing.

I already think Subban is the most complete d man in the league, but Markov always disappears in the playoffs.

In all honesty, Petry's play, and ability to carry the 2nd pairing (emelin/markov or emelin/subban never really worked) has me wondering about Petry's intelligence. Suppose I should give it time, but Emelin Petry look pretty impressive on the back-end, Petry makes up for the foot speed of emelin, which gilbert and markov couldn't make happen...but it never really worked for subban either, seemed to not connect back there.

Petry seems to be patient with Emelin, and a couple of the mistakes by Emelin are easy to correct over time, especially if they continue to get better together.

...and i'm off topic.

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
If we win a Cup, is Markov getting his number retired?

What about Subban, Price or Desharnais?

batmans.jpg

Aug 25, 2009
éal
What about Subban, Price or Desharnais?

batmans.jpg

Those players are decade away from retirement. Impossible to speculate about this.

But Markov is 36 years old and only have 3-5 years of hockey left in him. He need ~90 points to surpass Guy Lapointe for defenceman in points. He's already ahead of Harvey and Savard. Drafted by the team, stayed loyal to the franchise. This is something to consider especially if he win a Cup.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Still amazed how Markov managed to come back and still be a top pairing defensemen despite his serious injuries.

Have so much respect for the guy and glad he'll likely retire as a member of the Habs.

mus1cx

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
I just want Markov to win a cup, the guy deserves it and stuck with the team through thick and thin

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If we win a Cup, is Markov getting his number retired?

I think so. He's been loyal for a long time, and you don't see that very often. Although Koivu would have been if Gainey re-signed him.

Still though, he gets a cup and he's in the rafters IMO.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I don't want Markov's number to be retired. It should take a lot more than what he accomplished in his career to get his number retired playing for the most storied franchise in hockey.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but that would be setting the bar incredibly low.

HabsDieHard*

I don't want Markov's number to be retired. It should take a lot more than what he accomplished in his career to get his number retired playing for the most storied franchise in hockey.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but that would be setting the bar incredibly low.

Depending on how the next 2 seasons go, Markov could be the Habs' 2nd leading all time defenceman scorer and just the 2nd Hab ever to play 1000 games.

How would that be setting the bar incredibly low?????

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Depending on how the next 2 seasons go, Markov could be the Habs' 2nd leading all time defenceman scorer and just the 2nd Hab ever to play 1000 games.

How would that be setting the bar incredibly low?????

Doesn't matter. For the record, I think the Habs retired too many numbers going into the centennial season and kind of watered down the honor. Still. To me, getting your jersey retired, in Montréal of all places, should be reserved to those that truly marked the franchise. Those that were considered among the bests of their generation. Only Price and Subban have a chance to see their jersey retired on the current Habs team in my book.

HabsDieHard*

I think to only celebrate the successful eras makes it seem like the team is trying to ignore the times they struggled.

If Markov retires as the 2nd hab ever to play 1000 games, and is 2nd all time in points by a d-man he deserves to have his number retired.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Why should we celebrate the eras in which we struggled? Retiring someone's jersey is precisely meant to immortalize one of the greats of the the team's history, and part of that comes with success. Markov has been a very good player for this organization, but he shouldn't get his number retired anymore than he should get inducted into the HHOF. Just like Koivu.

HabsDieHard*

Why should we celebrate the eras in which we struggled? Retiring someone's jersey is precisely meant to immortalize one of the greats of the the team's history, and part of that comes with success. Markov has been a very good player for this organization, but he shouldn't get his number retired anymore than he should get inducted into the HHOF. Just like Koivu.

It's not about celebrating them, it's about acknowledging that not every era was full of successes for the team.

I will add that Markov needs a cup ring, this argument isbased on them winning one in the next 3 years.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Doesn't matter. For the record, I think the Habs retired too many numbers going into the centennial season and kind of watered down the honor. Still. To me, getting your jersey retired, in Montréal of all places, should be reserved to those that truly marked the franchise. Those that were considered among the bests of their generation. Only Price and Subban have a chance to see their jersey retired on the current Habs team in my book.

No one will ever have their number retired again then, because teams aren't going to be winning 5-7 cups a decade anymore. At the end of the day I don't really care either way if he gets it retired. I would personally, but if they choose not to, so be it. However, I really do want to see him lift a cup. He deserves it, more than many.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm not necesserily talking about winning several cups, but having some individual hardware would be a start.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'm not necesserily talking about winning several cups, but having some individual hardware would be a start.

I think there's a lot to be said about being an ambassador for the team and the game as well. He might not have Norris' or Cups, but he is everything is means to be a Montreal Canadiens. The loyalty, the poise, the passion etc etc.

However, like I said. Either way, I'm fine with it. I just think Markov deserves a lot of credit for everything he's done here.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal

Markov played in Lidstrom era and he was robbed at least 1 Norris (his 64 pts season and then missed 3 years in his prime). If he wins a Cup then absolutely he should get his number retired.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Yeah... Prime Markov had stretches where he was playing like a Top 5 d-man in the world and was arguably the best PPQB in the league.

I had to laugh when people said Markov would be done after his injuries. I always taught that his game was too celebral and smart to be ended by a loss of speed. He definitely lost some efficiency but he's still great.

Like many defencemen that can plat his type of game, they can play into their 40's, or in a rocking chair was the old adage attached to some, Red Kelly, Doug Harvey etc.

hrmmm you know who would have been the perfect Markov replacement.....nevermind

I agree it would take a top first round pick from the Habs with a bit of luck or a trade with roster players going

I'm thinking Jeremy Roy or Thomas Chabot or Mitchell Van de Sompel depending upon development of course, no sure thing though.:nod:

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
...No he doesn't.

disappears is strong, he doesn't elevate his game to the next level, like we see with subban.

some guys just have another level, and in order to go deep, and win, we need markov to be special.

HabsDieHard*

Markov is special every night he's out on the ice, and he is a big part of the reason why Subban is so good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad