March 13, 1955: Maurice Richard strikes a linesman

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I would like to chime in and say that I absolutely love your site. There is so much in terms of historical analysis of the Canadiens, and it makes for great reading. I really enjoyed reading about the Howie Morenz funeral. How tragic, yet touching.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Complete overration from French Canadians at the time.

He punched a linesman. What did they expect ? :shakehead

The Montreal media always finds ways to spin anything related to the habs to make them look like victims. The referee actually struck Richard's fist with his face.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
The Montreal media always finds ways to spin anything related to the habs to make them look like victims. The referee actually struck Richard's fist with his face.

I think this was beyond the Montreal media playing the poor-little-us card, and more reflected the politics of the day. I think this was more of an issue of French Canadians taking this misguidedly as a rallying point of French oppression (remember that this is an era where, for example, French workers were threatened with termination for speaking in French on the job instead of English).

A lot of people in Montreal (and all of Quebec) saw Clarence Campbell as another jerk anglophone down in Toronto - league HQ hadn't moved to New York yet - making decisions that screw over Quebec, and a a sense of nationalism overtook common sense that would dictate that punching a linesman comes with a hefty punishment.

*It's worth noting that I'm really only pretending to know what I'm talking about, and happily accept any corrections on my above hallucination of Canadian history :laugh:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
NHL Head Office

I think this was beyond the Montreal media playing the poor-little-us card, and more reflected the politics of the day. I think this was more of an issue of French Canadians taking this misguidedly as a rallying point of French oppression (remember that this is an era where, for example, French workers were threatened with termination for speaking in French on the job instead of English).

A lot of people in Montreal (and all of Quebec) saw Clarence Campbell as another jerk anglophone down in Toronto - league HQ hadn't moved to New York yet - making decisions that screw over Quebec, and a a sense of nationalism overtook common sense that would dictate that punching a linesman comes with a hefty punishment.

*It's worth noting that I'm really only pretending to know what I'm talking about, and happily accept any corrections on my above hallucination of Canadian history :laugh:

NHL Head Office was at the Sun Life building in downtown Montreal well into the 1980's and during the full length of Clarence Campbell's tenure.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

:laugh: Much of your post is an accurate assessment & observation of the times, however, league offices were in fact in Montreal before moving to NYC, not Toronto. As Big Jim Norris once said of Clarence Campbell when asked why he was hired as League President; "Where the Hell else are we gonna find a decorated war hero lawyer who'll do exactly what he's told?" (Campbell had been one of the Ally Prosecutors of the Nazi's at Nuremberg). He was considered a puppet of the anglophone establishment by a wide swath of francophones. It was perceived for quite some time prior to that incident Richard (and other Habs') & the Canadiens' were constantly having to play at unfair disadvantage's with one sided refereeing. The suspension proof positive that a conspiracy was indeed afoot, and were not taking it anymore!. Campbell showing up at the Forum with his fancy socks' & "secretary" in tow when tensions were obviously so high was just plain stupid. But that was Clarence Campbell all over, not an ounce of empathy or understanding.C'est un poisson froid. A real cold fish.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Post Richard Riot

:laugh: Much of your post is an accurate assessment & observation of the times, however, league offices were in fact in Montreal before moving to NYC, not Toronto. As Big Jim Norris once said of Clarence Campbell when asked why he was hired as League President; "Where the Hell else are we gonna find a decorated war hero lawyer who'll do exactly what he's told?" (Campbell had been one of the Ally Prosecutors of the Nazi's at Nuremberg). He was considered a puppet of the anglophone establishment by a wide swath of francophones. It was perceived for quite some time prior to that incident Richard (and other Habs') & the Canadiens' were constantly having to play at unfair disadvantage's with one sided refereeing. The suspension proof positive that a conspiracy was indeed afoot, and were not taking it anymore!. Campbell showing up at the Forum with his fancy socks' & "secretary" in tow when tensions were obviously so high was just plain stupid. But that was Clarence Campbell all over, not an ounce of empathy or understanding.C'est un poisson froid. A real cold fish.

True but what is known as the Richard Riot has to be looked at long term as well.

Previously violent incidents beyond the typical fight between players were viewed as player responsibilities..Post Richard Riot this started to change with degrees of responsibility shifting to all concerned from coaches to executives to teams and the league.

Specific to the Canadiens, a coaching change ensued prior to the start of the 1955-56 season with Toe Blake replacing Dick Irvin Sr. The results were positive and much of the senseless on ice activity that had dogged the Canadiens since 1951 abated.However some of the management - Frank Selke managed a free pass.

The political nature of the Richard Riot.are open to discussion. Frankly this is far from the ideal forum for such exchanges.

One comment is in context. Sport - especially hockey finally emerged at the forefront of Quebec society. Previously sport did not have the same priorities in terms of importance or dedicated dollars amongst the francophone communities as it did afterwards.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
True but what is known as the Richard Riot has to be looked at long term as well.

Certainly Irvin Sr. & Selke should be singled out C58, interesting that you've done so, as many forget that those two in particular were more than just a little bit responsible for engendering a climate pre-riot & Blake's appointment as Coach that created the perfect environment for such a storm in the first place. Ive not read anything that really points to their culpability, however I cant imagine the fact that both who had had strong ties to the Leafs organizations prior to their arrivals in Montreal were looked upon, shall we say, "warmly" by the francophones in Quebec. And certainly an objective observer couldnt help but finger those 2 as bearing more than just a little responsibility. I mean, here you had Conn Smythe's former minions invading in a GM & Coach, bringing with a culture of in your face hockey. The rough stuff & pugilism as important if not more so than skill, talent, finesse.....

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
The Build-up

Certainly Irvin Sr. & Selke should be singled out C58, interesting that you've done so, as many forget that those two in particular were more than just a little bit responsible for engendering a climate pre-riot & Blake's appointment as Coach that created the perfect environment for such a storm in the first place. Ive not read anything that really points to their culpability, however I cant imagine the fact that both who had had strong ties to the Leafs organizations prior to their arrivals in Montreal were looked upon, shall we say, "warmly" by the francophones in Quebec. And certainly an objective observer couldnt help but finger those 2 as bearing more than just a little responsibility. I mean, here you had Conn Smythe's former minions invading in a GM & Coach, bringing with a culture of in your face hockey. The rough stuff & pugilism as important if not more so than skill, talent, finesse.....

Going in the right direction.

Key point is that nothing has ever been written about how Selke and Irvin Sr. tried to calm the rage inside Maurice Richard and give direction to the ultimate competitor, the one that hated to lose. The rare breed.

Furthermore both exploited the situation using the imagery of the fiery French Canadien etc to spike interest and drive ticket sales thru out the league. Two prime examples the Bob Dill fight in New York. Deep minor leaguer promoted to fight the Rocket and they let it happen. Today would an Ovechkin or Crosby be expected to fight a similar goon?

The Gaetan Bettez / lumberjack parody in Detroit. Few laughs but also mocking a segment of your fans and players.

Irvin and Selke coming to Montreal. In the twenties the Maroons were created to take advantage of the English / French rivalry and after the 1937-38 when the Maroons folded the marketing aspect of French Canadian Hockey continued. You are quite correct that with two people in charge at the Forum, Irvin and Selke, both who had fallen from Conn Smythe's graces, you had an interesting situation. But again certain choices were made when alternatives were available. Specifically Selke & Irvin Sr chose to beat Smythe at his own game as opposed to raising the stakes and putting a greater premium on talent. Three examples Buddy O'Connor, Doug Harvey, Dickie Moore. Buddy O'Connor, at the time the Leafs were strong at center with Apps, Kennedy, Bentley, talented but without a supporting cast as linemates was sent to the Rangers and starred until injuries suffered in a car accident shortened his career. Harvey and Moore were constrained by Irvin from exploit their talents.

When Blake arrived as coach. Things changed dramatically. Every player on the team was a hockey player with responsibilities who was given opportunities to produce.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Key point is that nothing has ever been written about how Selke and Irvin Sr. tried to calm the rage inside Maurice Richard and give direction to the ultimate competitor, the one that hated to lose. The rare breed. Furthermore both exploited the situation using the imagery of the fiery French Canadien etc to spike interest and drive ticket sales thru out the league. Two prime examples the Bob Dill fight in New York. Deep minor leaguer promoted to fight the Rocket and they let it happen. Today would an Ovechkin or Crosby be expected to fight a similar goon?.

Yepp. Blood n' guts. Unfortunate Irvin & Selke didnt go the other way. Inhibiting guys like Moore & forcing them to play within a rather boring system rather than creating one around them. Right out of the Leaf playbook., You were all supposed to be perfectly trained, compliant & obedient soldiers under Major Conn Smythe. Even into the 60's, Imlach, another military mind & ex-drill instructor would deliberately mangle Frank Mahovolich's name, berating & belittling the guy for not playing the game the way Punch wanted him to. Selke was little different and had an axe to grind with Smythe, Irvin not so much but better to follow orders. The martial mind controlled much of hockey really right on through to the early 70's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad