Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Manny Malhotra as Head Coach of AHL Abbotsford Canucks

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
With the reports that Colliton was interviewing for NHL jobs, it was a matter of time before we went in a different direction - and what a good one it was. Love Manny Malhotra, I think he’ll be an awesome coach in Abbotsford.

So good to have him back in the fold! Welcome back, Manny!

And thanks to Jeremy Colliton for his work in the last 2 years - all the best on what comes next.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
As someone who bought a Manny Malhotra jersey way back in March 2011 and wore it proudly to high school every Canucks game day during the cup run, I love this hire.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
4 years as an assistant coach with the Leafs, so he has experience. Amazing guy in the locker room for that 2011 team, tons of stories from back then on people raving about him personally and his effect on keeping guys calm/loose in the locker room. Should be great with young guys, especially after his experience here as a development coach.

Colliton likely saw the writing on the wall with Tocchet here, and wanted to go to an organization where there's a chance he could be promoted to head coach one day (or even back on an NHL bench in some capacity, whereas ours is completely full).

Manny is just getting started as a HC, so wouldn't view Tocchet as an obstacle to getting to where he wants to be. Interested to see how this plays out.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
4 years as an assistant coach with the Leafs, so he has experience. Amazing guy in the locker room for that 2011 team, tons of stories from back then on people raving about him personally and his effect on keeping guys calm/loose in the locker room. Should be great with young guys, especially after his experience here as a development coach.

Colliton likely saw the writing on the wall with Tocchet here, and wanted to go to an organization where there's a chance he could be promoted to head coach one day (or even back on an NHL bench in some capacity, whereas ours is completely full).

Manny is just getting started as a HC, so wouldn't view Tocchet as an obstacle to getting to where he wants to be. Interested to see how this plays out.

He has 7 years as an NHL assistant coach. 3 years with the Canucks before joing the Leafs. First chance at a head coaching gig, though.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
IIRC didn't he do a bad job in Toronto with that despite all that talent?

Seems like a smart driven guy so I like the team giving him a chance as HC in Abby

I was gonna say. I remember him coaching Toronto's powerplay and it not being good. Happy to give him a shot as head coach but I don't think he's suited for the powerplay, specifically.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
BREAKING: MANNY MALHOTRA NAMED NEW COACH OF THE CANUCKS FOLLOWING RICK TOCCHET'S JACK ADAMS WIN

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Canucks going to be implementing some new policies, everybody better be showing up to camp freshly shaven domes. Anything else is unacceptable

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Interesting.

Zero head coaching experience but lots of NHL assistant experience.

Sedins would obviously know him very well.

Was on Travis Green's staff here ... but generally considered a loss when he left to join Toronto.

Highly doubt this will be a 'terrible' hire or anything but no idea if it's an upgrade on Colliton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad