Confirmed with Link: Mann, Bowness (not that one) hired as AGM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
A new owner and GM.

news owners now, only a few months in….. aren’t willing to cut them some slack?

How did they steal him from Pittsburg? Good moves btw.
7296BA9A-E332-4434-AC50-8E911F4D3773.jpeg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The move to promote Mann is as much to prevent other teams from poaching him the way Buffalo did with T.Murray as it is to improve the front office.

While it's not an additional body, it's still really important imo. I'd expect us to eventually hire someone to replace him in his scouting role, no rush.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
The move to promote Mann is as much to prevent other teams from poaching him the way Buffalo did with T.Murray as it is to improve the front office.

While it's not an additional body, it's still really important imo. I'd expect us to eventually hire someone to replace him in his scouting role, no rush.
Would he get to make the hire? I guess everybody would get moved up a spot and then they would bring in someone new to work at the vacant job in the lowest tier? Is that how it would play out?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Would he get to make the hire? I guess everybody would get moved up a spot and then they would bring in someone new to work at the vacant job in the lowest tier? Is that how it would play out?
My guess is we groom one of the existing scouts to take over as Chief scout for the next while, and then hire another guy to who ever's region it is we promoted the guy from, but I'm really just guessing here.

Another possibility is that Bowness brings in one of his guys, again, like T.Murr did when he left for Buffalo, can't remember who it was he snagged from us, but it was somebody.

Reactions: Loach

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
My guess is we groom one of the existing scouts to take over as Chief scout for the next while, and then hire another guy to who ever's region it is we promoted the guy from, but I'm really just guessing here.

Another possibility is that Bowness brings in one of his guys, again, like T.Murr did when he left for Buffalo, can't remember who it was he snagged from us, but it was somebody.
Another new point of view would be nice.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Probably holds down both positions.. AGM and Chief Scout for the next while imo. I think the org wants him in that chief scout chair.
He will continue to serve in the same scouting role while adding greater player developmental responsibilities to his portfolio.
Ryan Bowness will oversee contractual-related items and will serve as the general manager of the team's American Hockey League affiliate, the Belleville Senators.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Boyd will be made Chief Amateur Scout by the start of the year.

If they’re fine with Ruutuu having that role from Europe, he’ll be there as well.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I wonder if Troy Mann is in line for a promotion in the org? I could see him being an asst coach in the NHL.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Carter trade was a win, but not an impressive list and Pitt has been suffering from depth problems for a long time (more to do with drafting)
It's not easy with no cap space and no prospects. He has alot more to work with in that regard in Ottawa. Polar opposite situations.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed. Giving Mann more work is not getting a new AGM. If someone is hired to work his old job and reports to him..then it would be adding an AGM.

Bowness replaces Maguire. Mann gets a new title. Tinkering! Not unhappy about Maguire leaving, and being replaced but selling this as 2 new GMs is voodoo!

Reactions: Loach

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Bowness replaces Maguire. Mann gets a new title. Tinkering! Not unhappy about Maguire leaving, and being replaced but selling this as 2 new GMs is voodoo!
I think it's more apt to say that Bowness replaces MacTavish with a hint of Dorion's responsibilities. If I read the announcement right, Bowness is taking over as GM for Belleville.

Leaves McGuire's role unfilled, though it's still not clear what that role entailed exactly.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think it's more apt to say that Bowness replaces MacTavish with a hint of Dorion's responsibilities. If I read the announcement right, Bowness is taking over as GM for Belleville.

Leaves McGuire's role unfilled, though it's still not clear what that role entailed exactly.
Mann has player development under his new purview which was McGuire’s role.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Previously MacTavish’s role, yeah. So an amalgam of the two, meaning either McGuire’s role won’t be filled or there are more hires on the way.
McGuires role probably shared again between the two .. whatever that was. I think it was a more meaningful role when discussed with Melnyk but Dorion minimized him and eventually fired him. I think Melnyk had the right idea but managed that hire poorly. Dorion must have pictures.

Reactions: Cosmix

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Wouldn't it be nice of Bowness pulled a Peter Chiarelli and brought Letang with him?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Hopefully this team will value analytics like teams like Tampa and Colorado do. That might be an uphill battle with who the GM and coach are at the moment.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

They are going to hire more scouts.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Hopefully this team will value analytics like teams like Tampa and Colorado do. That might be an uphill battle with who the GM and coach are at the moment.
Do we need an analytics team? The Sens already get their advanced stats from the company that collects them for most teams.

This team does value analytics on the coaching side of things, DJ has been pretty clear about that.

As far as pro scouting goes, we’ll have to see how much Bowness does, if we’re ever party to that information.

Are you suggesting a separate group of people that comb the league looking at advanced stats? Seems like they should have a pro scout who does that, that would make sense to me.

Ideally all pro scouts would consider advanced stats in their evaluations, and perhaps they do/will (new hires), but advanced stats have limited predictive value in the NHL so I’m not sure a ‘team’ is necessary, given that the data is already collected by an outside entity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad