Confirmed with Link: Mann, Bowness (not that one) hired as AGM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Acquisitions of NHLers under Bowness' tenure as director of professional scouting:

Zucker acquired for Galchenyuk, Addison, 1st
Marleau acquired for 3rd
Rodrigues, Sheary acquired for Kahun
Kapanen acquired for Rodrigues, Hallander, 15th OVR
Matheson, Sceviour acquired for Hornqvist
Carter acquired for 3rd, 4th
Rakell acquired for Simon, ZAR, Clang, 2nd

Signed Boyle, McGinn, Ceci, Gaudreau, Rodrigues

Bit of a mixed bag, but of course we don't know which guys he was pounding the table for and which moves were primarily driven by senior management

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So now we need a president of hockey ops and a director of amateur scouting ?

This is a good start
Isn’t Mann doing AGM and scouting.

Acquisitions of NHLers under Bowness' tenure as director of professional scouting:

Marleau acquired for 3rd

Bit of a mixed bag, but of course we don't know which guys he was pounding the table for and which moves were primarily driven by senior management
Plus their trades were to keep their cup aspirations going, while they had their best players still under contract.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Was he in charge when the Pens traded for Brassard?
He was one of their pro scouts but not running the department.

Marleau acquired for 3rd

Their signings were better than their trades during that time. But I do think the trades were more good than bad.

Reactions: robsenz

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Marleau acquired for 3rd

Carter trade was a win, but not an impressive list and Pitt has been suffering from depth problems for a long time (more to do with drafting)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Carter trade was a win, but not an impressive list and Pitt has been suffering from depth problems for a long time (more to do with drafting)
That’s because they trade away their picks, trying to make runs at the cup.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Behind Batherson/Bowers as well. Thomson, Bernard - Docker, Boucher, and Opstuchuck look like his misses.
Yeah feels like a lot of ‘meh’ picks. Batherson was good, but Bowers always screamed mediocre and we haven’t really seen him in the NHL at all. JBD and Thomson are STILL not NHL ready apparently. I count way more *noticeable* misses than hits. Pinto looks decent right now but still a bit early to peg this as a complete win.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So Melnyk hires a media guy who hadn't had a job in the league in decades. He passes away. Dorion fires the Melnyk hire. Then hires a legit AGM talent away from a marquee franchise.

The tomfoolery was the Melnyk hire in the first place

And I sure don't see any strength to the narrative that he is concerned about threats to his job from subordinates given this hire

Great move imo. Things are moving in the right direction all the way around

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Alright, sounds like good moves.

I still find myself a little unclear on why we would need a POHO. I always got the sense from fans it was more to sort of act as a babysitter to prevent Dorion from making bad moves. But i always figured most of the bad moves were more often forced on Dorion by only allowing him to fish in the shallow pond. Now he has AGM's of amateur and pro scouting to make joint decisions with i am yet to be convinced that a POHO adds more positive value than unneeded bureaucracy. Guess im just unclear on that position still

Reactions: JD1 and Ice-Tray

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Marleau acquired for 3rd

All of those moves are justifiable and better than what our pro scouts have cooked up. Happy to have him, hopefully this is a sign of things to come

Reactions: Deku

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Adding two AGMs is “tinkering around the edges”?? Methinks there will be no satisfying you on this front!
One AGM is not new. A new competent GM would satisfy me. A new owner who would spend to the cap would be even more welcome.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
One AGM is not new. A new competent GM would satisfy me. A new owner who would spend to the cap would be even more welcome.

we have new owners who have shown they are not their dad, give them a chance and lets see what they do.
A new GM wasn't really in the cards for before the draft, and PD hasn't really been able to fully operate without meddling ownership so he should get a little bit of rope for now at least.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We shouldn’t be spending to the cap this year at all, that would be a terrible decision for our small market team that is still developing our young core.

It looks like we have the green light to spend a lot more to keep the rebuild going full steam though which is great news.

Mann is a new AGM, with new responsibilities. It’s a new position filled, along with a pro scout AGM whom everyone has been clamouring for for ages. We also hired a quality guy for that role as well.

That’s not tinkering, that’s new owners, a new board, two new AGMs, and a budget increase going into next season to fund some signings and players.

Those are pretty huge changes in my opinion.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I share your optimism, but where's the evidence for this? A new AGM hire to replace McTavish and a raise for Mann don't exactly move the needle on that discussion.
It’s been rumoured at around 76 million or some such.

As for AGMs…. We had one position, and it was a contracts/lawyer.

We now have two, one in charge of pro scouting, and the other in charge of amateur scouting.

It’s fine for people to craft that to be unimpressed, but when I look at the organization I’m seeing more and more proper structure being installed from ownership down. I see the top positions being filled appropriately, with good people, which needs to be done first before adding more scouts for pro and amateur.

I see a lot more structure to the organization already, both business (direct team business along with the Lebreton partnership) and hockey ops, and that is a huge change from mere months ago.

To me those are clear positives, and positives make me happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad