Managerial Thread - 23/24 Season - FCBahahaha

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
That's on Sancho. All he had to do was apologize. Rashford and Garnacho did and continue to feature in the team. The former more due to the injury situation reducing options.
Nah, the apologize excuse is bonkers. The issue is what happened prior with Ten Hag alienating some players like Sancho in favor of player that offered nothing (Antony) to try justifying his awful purchase (and pricetag) from ETH. Sancho acted wrong but it's obvious that ETH has managed his squad very bad. This is why now it's a full circus under ETH.

I think Sancho is way better talent than Antony.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Pretty clear that Sancho was just depressed at having to live in England again. He thought he had finally escaped, but the money sucked him back & he'd been regretting selling his soul ever since :dunno:

Reactions: maclean

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't think you'll get very far in the discussion if your take on the whole thing is Sancho bad or Ten Hag bad. To me it's quite obvious that it was very much a two way street between those two.

That said, I would love to scroll through English football Twitter in a world were Sancho scores the UCL winner for Dortmund.

Reactions: Gecklund and cgf

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Nah, the apologize excuse is bonkers. The issue is what happened prior with Ten Hag alienating some players like Sancho in favor of player that offered nothing (Antony) to try justifying his awful purchase (and pricetag) from ETH. Sancho acted wrong but it's obvious that ETH has managed his squad very bad. This is why now it's a full circus under ETH.

I think Sancho is way better talent than Antony.
Antony and Sancho play on different wings. Antony on the right and Sancho on the left. You're now making things up.

• Haha
Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sancho has been excellent on both wings for BVB. Their wings are really buzzing atm, Sancho's been the best of the bunch, but Adeyemi's playing very well in his own right, and JBG is just an electric joker.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I saw plenty of Sancho on both Dortmund tours. Says more about ETH if he didn’t want to try him there

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I just saw Sancho being the best player on the pitch in a Champions League semifinal on right wing.
There were numerous reports and comments that he himself wanted to play on the left at United. And he seemed better there than when he was played on the right side (even pre-Antony). The problem of course was that Rashford was playing much better than him on the left side.

I saw plenty of Sancho on both Dortmund tours. Says more about ETH if he didn’t want to try him there
He was tried numerous times on the right but it both didn't work too well and he WANTED to play on the left.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
what am i hearing here

am i going insane or did sancho predominantly play RW in his best season at BVB, with thorgan hazard playing on the left

am i going insane or has Sancho consistently played on both sides throughout his career

am i going insane or was Sancho signed to play opposite Rashford
His last season with Dortmund he played dominantly on the left:

Yet, despite having an extra year to dig deeper into how Sancho would fit in at his prospective new club, scouts failed to pick up on the fact he was not actually playing on the right wing for Dortmund that much. It is true that the general consensus agreed he was a right winger by trade, but during his last season in Germany he actually started more matches on the left and had a better attacking output from there as well. Sancho had switched flanks at the turn of the year and started his final 10 league matches for Dortmund as an inverted forward from the left, yet United expected him to arrive and settle in straight away as a natural right winger. He was doomed from the start with those expectations, and it speaks volumes of the lack of forward planning United have that even when pursuing a top target, there was no real long-term programme in place to get the best out of him.

Ole's comments:
"Unfortunately, it has not worked out. When he arrived, he had to go to hospital and that was a setback as he couldn’t start the first games. He’s immensely talented and we haven’t seen the best of him. I hope we do, but he prefers to play left wing… where Marcus (Rashford) plays."

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

Ole's comments:
his best season in dortmund, 2019-20, breaks down as (per transfermarkt):

RW: 15
CAM: 10
LW: 7

He did not play LW after February 22. his production was consistent across positions.

in his final season in dortmund - in which he was significantly less productive, despite it being a full season of Haaland - the breakdown:

RW: 10
CAM: 5
LW: 11

So he played evenly RW and LW in a season in which his attacking output was... lower...

And played more RW and CAM than LW in the seasons in which his attacking output was... higher...

I would perhaps suggest that part of the role of a coach is to tell a player that what they prefer does not matter when they are better in one position than another...

Reactions: bluesfan94

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Ole's comments:

Ole's full of it. Sancho split his games 14/15 between the left & right in '21 and 11/22 in favor of the right in '20

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ole's full of it. Sancho split his games 14/15 between the left & right in '21 and 11/22 in favor of the right in '20

That was the journalist's comment, not Ole's.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
his best season in dortmund, 2019-20, breaks down as (per transfermarkt):

RW: 15
CAM: 10
LW: 7

He did not play LW after February 22. his production was consistent across positions.

in his final season in dortmund - in which he was significantly less productive, despite it being a full season of Haaland - the breakdown:

RW: 10
CAM: 5
LW: 11

So he played evenly RW and LW in a season in which his attacking output was... lower...

And played more RW and CAM than LW in the seasons in which his attacking output was... higher...

I would perhaps suggest that part of the role of a coach is to tell a player that what they prefer does not matter when they are better in one position than another...
But it didn't pan out on the right with him at United. He was tried there.

But also, let's not forget what his biggest issue was. Not tracking back. Hatterson went off numerous times in the GWTs about it.

then the journalist is full of it, who f***ing cares

engage with the actual substance of the thing
Would help if he posted the English language version of the site. Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Somewhat getting lost in all of this is that Antony sucks and still got picked over Sancho by ETH. Doesn't matter what side of the field. That's just bad managing.

But also, let's not forget what his biggest issue was. Not tracking back. Hatterson went off numerous times in the GWTs about it.
Not many United attackers seem to be great at tracking back. Rashford definitely isn't. Maybe that's more of a coaching issue too. But you don't want to hear that about your bald buddy.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

Would help if he posted the English language version of the site. Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut.
click the transfermarkt logo in the top left corner and change the language lmao, no one is making you read german.

also the same numbers he posted, but just the league rather than all comps, were posted by me in the post above. but again, you don't want to engage with the fact that he was in fact largely a right winger and so there was no positional conflict with Mr Rashford, just with Mr Antony who is absolutely f***ing dire and always has been but is lucky enough to have played in the Netherlands so ETH would kill his own father for him

Reactions: bluesfan94

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
click the transfermarkt logo in the top left corner and change the language lmao, no one is making you read german.

also the same numbers he posted, but just the league rather than all comps, were posted by me in the post above. but again, you don't want to engage with the fact that he was in fact largely a right winger and so there was no positional conflict with Mr Rashford, just with Mr Antony who is absolutely f***ing dire and always has been but is lucky enough to have played in the Netherlands so ETH would kill his own father for him
The positional conflict was under Ole, Antony wasn't there yet. And it didn't matte what side he played, he was a defensive liability, as Hatterson pointed out numerous times. And that behavior was apparent under Ole already.

Somewhat getting lost in all of this is that Antony sucks and still got picked over Sancho by ETH. Doesn't matter what side of the field. That's just bad managing.

Not many United attackers seem to be great at tracking back. Rashford definitely isn't. Maybe that's more of a coaching issue too. But you don't want to hear that about your bald buddy.
They actually played at the same time several times with Rashford up top.

Rashford used to be known for tracking back a lot, I think possibly under Mourinho but for some reason can't be arsed to do it now. Of course there's been reports that he's been playing injured for a long time.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The positional conflict was under Ole, Antony wasn't there yet. And it didn't matte hat side he played, he was a defensive liability, as Hatterson pointed out numerous times. And that behavior was apparent under Ole already.
The "positional conflict" Ole was bitching about didn't need to exist because he could've just played him at right wing rather than complain that he'd rather play left. There doesn't need to be a positional conflict!

And Rashford is also a defensive liability! Everyone at Man U outside of their back four and Bruno is! Again, that's coaching!

I know you'll jump in front of a bus for ETH and I know Man U fans would rather pretend that Sancho was a serial rapist instead of the guy they have replacing him, but it's so utterly apparent that Sancho was not in a good place at Man United. The same people who were applauding Dele Alli for speaking candidly about his mental health were pillorying Sancho. I'm so happy he's returning to form elsewhere, because when he's on he's brilliant. He did not do himself favours at United, but he was screwed by an absolute fools' gallery of management.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The "positional conflict" Ole was bitching about didn't need to exist because he could've just played him at right wing rather than complain that he'd rather play left. There doesn't need to be a positional conflict!

And Rashford is also a defensive liability! Everyone at Man U outside of their back four and Bruno is! Again, that's coaching!

I know you'll jump in front of a bus for ETH and I know Man U fans would rather pretend that Sancho was a serial rapist instead of the guy they have replacing him, but it's so utterly apparent that Sancho was not in a good place at Man United. The same people who were applauding Dele Alli for speaking candidly about his mental health were pillorying Sancho. I'm so happy he's returning to form elsewhere, because when he's on he's brilliant. He did not do himself favours at United, but he was screwed by an absolute fools' gallery of management.
HE DID! IT WASN'T WORKING! LITERALLY EVERY UNITED FAN HERE WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT IT! That was the most upsetting trhing about him. He was tried on the left, he was tried on the right. Nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad