Management Thread | Regular Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
There is literally no GM in history who doesn’t have a laundry list of fungible short-term low-cost acquisitions that didn’t work out.

not my point. i don't expect every move to work out

my point is people use allvin's infallibility as proof of his infallibility and shut down all debate or criticism with an appeal to faith in his abilities despite evidence he's not actually infallible

lately it's pointless to be even mildly critical of management because seemingly very few posters will engage in good faith

Reactions: Bubbles

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

my point is people use allvin's infallibility as proof of his infallibility and shut down all debate or criticism with an appeal to faith in his abilities despite evidence he's not actually infallible

lately it's pointless to be even mildly critical of management because seemingly very few posters will engage in good faith

This has very obviously been one of the best-run organizations in the NHL for the past couple years and a couple bled 3rd round picks or cheap depth UFA signings that didn’t work doesn’t change that.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
This has very obviously been one of the best-run organizations in the NHL for the past couple years and a couple bled 3rd round picks or cheap depth UFA signings that didn’t work doesn’t change that.

thanks for illustrating for me

when even the mildest criticism is shut down with "this has very obviously been one of the best-run organizations in the NHL" it's pointless to ever be critical if you expect any kind of discussion

and i'm just pointing out why there's no substantive discussion of management, not trying to convince you or anyone else they are actually bad

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

I think Alvin's work tend to get inflated in value simply as a result of how much a turd the DimJim regime was. Low expectations IMHO. Much like how Thomas Gradin's scouting looks compared against the like of Ron Superscout Delorme.

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
I think Alvin's work tend to get inflated in value simply as a result of how much a turd the DimJim regime was. Low expectations IMHO. Much like how Thomas Gradin's scouting looks compared against the like of Ron Superscout Delorme.
Allvin was voted 2nd place for GM of the year. It's not just the posters here or the fanbase who rate the management highly, it's a widely held opinion around the league.

Reactions: Vector

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

when even the mildest criticism is shut down with "this has very obviously been one of the best-run organizations in the NHL" it's pointless to ever be critical if you expect any kind of discussion

and i'm just pointing out why there's no substantive discussion of management, not trying to convince you or anyone else they are actually bad

I'd say the team has been ran quite well, it's not perfect but it has been a massive upgrade since Commando Dimbo days. I myself was VERY critical of Mr. Clean and Moleman in the first year or so. But they delivered lots of good moves, and for a fanbase who watched Dimbo in pure horror for almost a decade, it's such a refreshing sight.

One thing I also noted is that our new management seems to resolve what they perceived as mistakes very very aggressively. Their...ferocity and decisiveness in dealing with errors feels quite astounding.

And of course, it's better that mistakes are avoided - Forbort looks like a mistake so far, and I still really dislike how they traded Pod away...but the biggest mystery to me was how they somehow managed to make firing of a coach into a spectacle. I mean, if someone says there's more going on behind the scene between Bruce and our team, ok maybe? What is clear is, Bruce Boudreau's firing was handled poorly and generated quite a bit of negative PR as well as unwanted attention for the team.

Reactions: mossey3535

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Allvin was voted 2nd place for GM of the year. It's not just the posters here or the fanbase who rate the management highly, it's a widely held opinion around the league.
I think ones work can be a bit overrated (for the reasons I stated - following DimJim "work") *AND* still be good (re: Alvin's tenure to date). But that's just my opinion.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
So far Allvin has done good job, but very few GM's come into a situation where they have 2 100 point centers, and a Norris trophy defenceman that scores 90 points. I'm not saying Benning did a good job, because he didn't. Most GM's don't, but the trajectory of the organization is not that far off of a exemplary organization like the Avalanche. It's a fact of life in the cap era where you go through a long rebuilding process. I can list 16 teams that have gone through or are going through a rebuilding process as arduous as the Canucks have gone through.

Reactions: mossey3535

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Didn’t you argue that all the signings the offseason prior won’t move the needle and then said nothing about that when they won the division and had a 109 point season? If you were right then yeah, go ahead an be critical.

I think there are instances where it makes sense to be critical, like the Ian Clarke thing, but based on how much they have hit it out of the park last season, they have earned some benefit of the doubt.

I think most people were worried that they won’t be able to walk that thin line where they can get the team to be competitive and have some sense of a future. So far they walked that line better than any management team in the league. We are competitive and we have young kids banging on the door and drafting seems fine so far. Yeah it COULD be better if they are absolutely flawless but that’s not realistic so what’s the point?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Thank you for this post! I'm with you 100%. For some reason any criticism of the current management is instantly branded as some "Jim Benning" lover or some kind of crap. You'd think after how many years of crappy management, that a more critical eye is deserved.

It's like most of HFCanucks jumped from a super bad relationship and everything is super rosy with the new beau, until it's not.

The Mikheyev situation is one that most fans here have quietly buried. That was a total failure but people keep saying "well, at least we got out from that contract".

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
You're never going to bat 100% on trades / UFA signings. A GM who doesn't make a bad trade (in retrospect) here and there isn't taking enough risks. The Canucks have had more wins than losses in filling out their depth and that's what really matters.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
The Mikheyev contract led to one productive year, one year at poor value (likely largely due to an injury), and then downgrading a 2027 2nd to a 4th (and not doubling down on the mistake).

In the grand scheme of things that's hardly devastating for your franchise.

IMO the things from the past year that can warrant criticism are the Lindholm trade and (TBD) the DeBrusk contract and the situation on defence. I have a really tough time seeing any of Heinen/Sherwood/Sprong turning out poorly and on-paper they're all very good moves.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Ian Clark:
-starting to pick up a little bit of noise
-Clark may move on with the Canucks blessing
-Canucks would not stand in the way
-mentions New Jersey as a possible destination
-people who followed the situation much closer felt that it was likely that this marriage wouldn't continue
-looks like the relationship with the Canucks has turned in a bad direction but teams would still value his knowledge

Let him go, he's been showing signs of not adapting since Columbus. And with Demko getting injured so much and him again not appearing to change anything I think it's time.

Probably could have been handled better, but I guess it was preferable to just punting him entirely? Basically not making him director of goaltending illustrated that they weren't all that confident in him going forward. So they kept him, he still at this moment is helping out Torenius, but when he's ready he'll move on. Which is what they wanted all along, it appears.

If he really is feeling the effect on his body, how is he going to be super influential on a day-to-day basis? Even if he goes to New Jersey, he's not going to be the guy working with Marky every day. Thing is, he's always been that kind of coach so it's not like he was doing mostly front office work, he made his bread and butter with the individual goalies. It's an interesting situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad