Management Thread | Regular Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
There is literally no GM in history who doesn’t have a laundry list of fungible short-term low-cost acquisitions that didn’t work out.

not my point. i don't expect every move to work out

my point is people use allvin's infallibility as proof of his infallibility and shut down all debate or criticism with an appeal to faith in his abilities despite evidence he's not actually infallible

lately it's pointless to be even mildly critical of management because seemingly very few posters will engage in good faith

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

my point is people use allvin's infallibility as proof of his infallibility and shut down all debate or criticism with an appeal to faith in his abilities despite evidence he's not actually infallible

lately it's pointless to be even mildly critical of management because seemingly very few posters will engage in good faith

This has very obviously been one of the best-run organizations in the NHL for the past couple years and a couple bled 3rd round picks or cheap depth UFA signings that didn’t work doesn’t change that.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
This has very obviously been one of the best-run organizations in the NHL for the past couple years and a couple bled 3rd round picks or cheap depth UFA signings that didn’t work doesn’t change that.

thanks for illustrating for me

when even the mildest criticism is shut down with "this has very obviously been one of the best-run organizations in the NHL" it's pointless to ever be critical if you expect any kind of discussion

and i'm just pointing out why there's no substantive discussion of management, not trying to convince you or anyone else they are actually bad

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

I think Alvin's work tend to get inflated in value simply as a result of how much a turd the DimJim regime was. Low expectations IMHO. Much like how Thomas Gradin's scouting looks compared against the like of Ron Superscout Delorme.

Reactions: credulous

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
I think Alvin's work tend to get inflated in value simply as a result of how much a turd the DimJim regime was. Low expectations IMHO. Much like how Thomas Gradin's scouting looks compared against the like of Ron Superscout Delorme.
Allvin was voted 2nd place for GM of the year. It's not just the posters here or the fanbase who rate the management highly, it's a widely held opinion around the league.

Reactions: Vector

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
thanks for illustrating for me

when even the mildest criticism is shut down with "this has very obviously been one of the best-run organizations in the NHL" it's pointless to ever be critical if you expect any kind of discussion

and i'm just pointing out why there's no substantive discussion of management, not trying to convince you or anyone else they are actually bad

I'd say the team has been ran quite well, it's not perfect but it has been a massive upgrade since Commando Dimbo days. I myself was VERY critical of Mr. Clean and Moleman in the first year or so. But they delivered lots of good moves, and for a fanbase who watched Dimbo in pure horror for almost a decade, it's such a refreshing sight.

One thing I also noted is that our new management seems to resolve what they perceived as mistakes very very aggressively. Their...ferocity and decisiveness in dealing with errors feels quite astounding.

And of course, it's better that mistakes are avoided - Forbort looks like a mistake so far, and I still really dislike how they traded Pod away...but the biggest mystery to me was how they somehow managed to make firing of a coach into a spectacle. I mean, if someone says there's more going on behind the scene between Bruce and our team, ok maybe? What is clear is, Bruce Boudreau's firing was handled poorly and generated quite a bit of negative PR as well as unwanted attention for the team.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Allvin was voted 2nd place for GM of the year. It's not just the posters here or the fanbase who rate the management highly, it's a widely held opinion around the league.
I think ones work can be a bit overrated (for the reasons I stated - following DimJim "work") *AND* still be good (re: Alvin's tenure to date). But that's just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad