Confirmed with Link: MacLellan named GM, Trotz Head Coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
MacLellan thinks FA pool is shallow, won't be drastic right away unless something comes up that really improves the team, really excited about 5-6 young guys that he "cant wait for them to get up to speed at this level".

BM better bring some food and a portapotty to his hammock because he will be waiting a long time for the 5-6 young guys to make an impact on our team.

I do not foresee any significant moves forthcoming. The big news will be to Grabo, or not to Grabo. And adding a vet backup G.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Re: Chris Patric= Nepotism alert. Man the whole GM aspect is really...ugh. Sure wait to see what turns out but from the start... man.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Like the Trotz, don't get the GM hire. Why get rid of GMGM just to hire his 10+ year assistant? Also feels like a Jim Zorn situation in regards to MacLellan, the Caps interview a bunch of experienced GM's then ask themselves "Why not MacLellan?" A puppet GM to cater to DP and Trotz's every whim.

The only hope I see for a culture change for the Caps is for Trotz to be the dominate hockey man inside the Caps organization. If he isn't then it will be more of the same stale/mediocre culture that has taken hold of this franchise over the last 2-3 years. Dick Patrick's culture.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I know more about BM from his playing days than his management career. Which ain't much.

IIRC, a big rangy RW that brought a whole lot of nothing. Think Eric Fehr, less the big shot, less offensive awareness, less the scrappy play, and add 2 good shoulders.

Sounds like the dude likes to take naps if he chills in a hammock all day. Maybe he has a sleep disorder like the Redskins Fred Davis.

I can understand Simpson's tweets, how do you work with a guy in a hammock all day. I would struggle to take him seriously. At least its not a banana hammock.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
@AdamVingan: MacLellan to @VogsCaps: "There's going to be a more serious work ethic being stressed. It'll be a more serious attitude going forward."

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Sigh. Not sure how to feel about it yet. But obviously a little bit disappointed.

However, if he makes Brooks Laich disappear, then I'm all in.

That's a good question. What does this mean for guys like Laich? My first take would be status quo non-move on Laich. This is feeling like a lateral move at GM and bringing in Trotz to see if he can do what Oates couldn't with a similar roster.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
@AdamVingan: MacLellan to @VogsCaps: "There's going to be a more serious work ethic being stressed. It'll be a more serious attitude going forward."

The Seriousening III

This time, it's SERIOUS

MyCapsCap

Apr 19, 2014
N6nKFmk.jpg

Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks! Homer, there's four places. There's the Hammock Hut, that's on third.

Homer: Uh-huh.

Hank Scorpio: There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Butt-There.

Homer: Mm-Hmm.

Hank Scorpio: That's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the hammock complex on third.

Homer: Oh, the hammock district!

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
That's a good question. What does this mean for guys like Laich? My first take would be status quo non-move on Laich. This is feeling like a lateral move at GM and bringing in Trotz to see if he can do what Oates couldn't with a similar roster.

I mean, I'm a fan of seeing what a good coach can do with this roster. It's been a while, but we already saw one good coach take this core to dominant regular seasons. The offensive talent is there, and if Trotz can add good defensive structure without handcuffing that offensive talent, there's a lot of potential.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I mean, I'm a fan of seeing what a good coach can do with this roster. It's been a while, but we already saw one good coach take this core to dominant regular seasons. The offensive talent is there, and if Trotz can add good defensive structure without handcuffing that offensive talent, there's a lot of potential.

Offensively. The defense needs a facelift.

edit: although, one would suspect that the same roster this past season with Trotz as coach instead of Oates would at least have made the playoffs before flaming out in a first round chokefest. So there's that.

Last edited:

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Leonsis and Patrick spent the last month interviewing several candidates for the GM vacancy, eventually identifying MacLellan as the man for the job. MacLellan was then instrumental in reaching out to Trotz and getting him to Washington for an interview. Leonsis and Patrick were impressed by the way that MacLellan and Trotz quickly bonded together and shared a similar vision for both the short- and long-term future of the franchise, and ownership had the cohesive duo it was seeking for the relatively rare twin openings.

Well we got one thing we wanted: a cohesive strategy with GM and coach on the same page. I don't know anything about the dude they got to replace MacLellan as AGM, but hopefully he's got a better approach to pro scouting than MacLellan did. IMO that was the worst part of the Caps' front office during McPhee's tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad